autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1975 Ford F250 High Boy: Wimbleton White-Need Advice on What to do With the Paint

So I have a regular that wants me to do the interior of his 1975 Ford High boy. Things a monster!! So he told me if I think I can do anything with the exterior to have at it. What can I do to make it look good. Its factory paint. I'm actually excited bc I think these truck are pretty sweet--Yea I'm a Ford lover! It is actually the same color my 66 Galaxie was but I painted it matte black. Kinda wish I hadn't though.

Mike Phillips

Re: 1975 Ford F250 High Boy: Wimbleton White-Need Advice on What to do With the Paint

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post

So I have a regular that wants me to do the interior of his 1975 Ford High boy.

Sounds COOL!

Pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1975 Ford F250 High Boy: Wimbleton White-Need Advice on What to do With the Paint

Well o haven't done it yet. I need advice on what you would do with the exterior.

Mike Phillips

So I have a regular that wants me to do the interior of his 1975 Ford High boy. Things a monster!! So he told me if I think I can do anything with the exterior to have at it. What can I do to make it look good. Its factory paint.
    Didn't mean to not offer some suggestions but tonight is the Mentor's Program Conference Call and right after I posted my first reply I was scheduled to talk about training.

This should be a fun project. In 1975 they were shooting acrylic enamels and acrylic lacquers, these are very easy paints to create a lot of gloss out of with just about any quality compound and polish. Single stage paints tend to be more porous than modern basecoat/clearcoat paints and for this reason they will stain easy and this means things like road grime will actually embedded into the paint, not just on the paint. The good news is this staining is easily removed along with any oxidation.

You didn't mention the current condition?

A good recipe for success would be,

• Wash
    • Clay - Do the Baggie Test
    • Compound
    • Polish
    • Seal using a wax or paint sealant

You can't get a lot of depth out of white paint but you can get a lot of gloss and remember gloss comes from smoothness, so focus on getting the paint as smooth as possible.

Here's a write-up I did where I restored an extremely oxidized

1960 Ford Ranchero - Extreme Makeover - M105/M205 Tag Team

You'll get the same results even if the paint isn't extremely oxidized...

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm not sure the condition but I know its a solid truck. Should I try the ultimate compound? I have a bottle I bought a few years ago and only used it once.

Mike Phillips

Well I'm not sure the condition but I know its a solid truck. Should I try the ultimate compound? I have a bottle I bought a few years ago and only used it once.
    No.

First evaluate the condition of the paint. It's possible that the paint is in very good condition and you can use something less aggressive.

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

The reason you want to use the least aggressive product to get the job done is so that you'll leave the most amount of paint on the car to last over the service life of the car.

I would take it and that way you have it if you need it.

Before doing a multi-step process that will take a long time maybe you can use a simple one-step cleaner/wax.

To be honest, when working on single stage paint, you can get great results using only a one-step cleaner/wax and it really won't look much better than the results from the multiple-step process.

Plus... you can do it faster and that means a higher profit margin...

Check this out...

KISS Detail - Extreme Makeover - Toyota Highlander

Keep in mind too that if the paint does have any level of oxidation that you're going to have a lot of dead, oxidized paint coming off and that means you're going to want to clean your pad real often.

Why it's important to clean your pads often...

How to clean your foam pad on the fly

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir!

Post Thanks / Like

So he told me if I think I can do anything with the exterior to have at it.
    IMO the perfect words, because there isn't much pressure, but sounds like a job with alot of potential.
    MDetail (Mike/Michael)
    Canyon Country, CA (Valencia Area)
    MichaelSchoelen.com - Photography

Mike Phillips

So I have a regular that wants me to do the interior of his 1975 Ford High boy.
    Updates?

Pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Updates?

Pictures?

Even if you haven't started yet, I'd love to see some pics of the truck. It sounds awesome
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast