autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help - trying to remove swirls on jet balck BMW - want to order rest of products today...

I just received the Flex 3401 with LC 6.5" pads and I wanted to try it out on a test spot. I only tried 2 pads (green coarse (light cutting pad) and the green polishing finishing pad as I am returing the others and going with the smaller backing plate and 5.5" pads. I used the Wolf Gang twins (Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze) and Menzerna FPII. Since this was the first time using the flex I just wanted to see what else I need to get before actually doing the entire car.

I did not see that much of an improvement in the paint as the swirls are still very noticable in the sun. I have a BMW with soft jet black paint. Just wondering how I can make a noticable difference in removing swirls and fine scratches. So do I need a stronger polish like Meguiars 105 or ultimate compound or do I just need to use a pad with more cutting power...or both?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help - trying to remove swirls on jet balck BMW - want to order rest of products today...

Just guessing if the paint is really soft your final step might have to be a step down to a gray pad. Possible too that the TSR wasn't worked long enough. I've seen that finish down to not really needing a glaze.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help - trying to remove swirls on jet balck BMW - want to order rest of products today...

okay - so I went out and tried going over the same test spot again. Wow - looks better this time - this pad was still not dry from when I washed it this morning after using it on the test spot, but I did not want to wait for the pad to dry so I used it wet with the polish and worked it in longer. Wonder if using a damp pad works better than a totally dry pad?

Looks pretty good now, and I will have to wait until I receive the grey finishing pads so that I can see how that pad finishes. Just going to order the Meg 105 or the Ultimate Compound for deeper swirls that I cannot get out with the WG TSR.

Post Thanks / Like

Judging from your other posts be careful with the m105. Its a great product but can be hard to remove and you can instill scratches by trying to remove it if you have soft paint. I use a quick detailer to aid in the removale. Your going to have to follow it up with a finishing polish. m205 is ok. I would use this but it can leave the paint hazy and you'll prob need to follow it with a finer polish. Hope this helps. Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

soft paints like WG better than Megs...

Are you spritzing your pad with a bit of QD and priming your pad before you start polishing?
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile detail View Post
    Judging from your other posts be careful with the m105. Its a great product but can be hard to remove and you can instill scratches by trying to remove it if you have soft paint. I use a quick detailer to aid in the removale. Your going to have to follow it up with a finishing polish. m205 is ok. I would use this but it can leave the paint hazy and you'll prob need to follow it with a finer polish. Hope this helps. Let me know.
    Soft jet black paint is tough to get right. I am trying a few test spots and found that 105 on a LC orange pad does leave new stratches aqnd haze so I have to follow up with 105 on white. I did notice some slight haze remaining after 105 on white so found that I could get rid of the haze with Wolf Gang TSR on white, does that sound right? I have some Meg's 34 QD to help with removal. I tried both 205 and Wolf Gang FG as a finishing polish on grey with about equal results and then I tried both PO87MC and PO85RD as jeweling step with about equal results. Test spots are still not perfect so I am trying to figure out what else i can do...ultrafina??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    soft paints like WG better than Megs...
    Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post

Are you spritzing your pad with a bit of QD and priming your pad before you start polishing?

With the Meg's 105, UC, and 205 I primed the pad - KBM and used a couple sprays of XMT pad conditioner.

Do you still prime the pad before polishing with WG? I thought you only primed the pad when using non-diminishing abrasives?

Post Thanks / Like

you always spritz and prime a fresh pad so the entire face is working on the paint from the get go

I should qualify what I said earlier. Diminishing abrasive polishes like Menz and WG finish down better on soft paints. You can use 105 for it's cut on really bad areas but will likely have to follow up with something else, like the TSR/PO85rd

Have you seen the results Laura got on a jet black BMW 550?
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the vagaries of polishing. It took me quite awhile to figure out the paint on my wife's black Lexus - pads, polishes, speeds. It's a good bit different from my RAV4 and both are Toyotas, so go figure. I was also getting leftover defects. I found I could use WG TSR on an orange pad twice or I could switch to a yellow pad and do it once. I had to play with speeds on both. I also had to make my passes very slow. I initially finished up with FG on a white pad but got the best results with a little higher speed and a grey pad. I also note that polishing at 60 deg. is vastly different than polishing at 90 when the paint is really soft and pliable.

I prime the pads regardless of polish. If you don't prime, the pad is not evenly loaded. I typically use a couple sprays of diluted NR and then prime with polish. And keep the pads clean. I use Mike P's "on-the-fly" cleaning technique every two panels. Helps if you spray a couple times with lube before you clean the pad.