autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is my cars paint destroyed? FL Love Bugs

Hey guys. Big problems here. If you live in Florida then you know the awful plague that besets us every May and September. Horny love bug swarms having sex over the highway in GIANT big black swarms. Apparently they have acid for blood.

I was on the way back from the last Shuttle Launch and ran through two massive clouds of these things in my two week old Hyundai Genesis 3.8. It was so bad they started to clog the radiator and I had to stop every couple of exits just to try and be able to see out of the windshield.

When I got home 90 miles later I washed them off as best as I could with a power washer. However I was up all night camping out and saving a front row spot so we could photograph the launch. So I left it for the night.

Today I spent about 6 hours trying to get them off my car. I didn't succeed. I doused pretty much the entire car with bug and tar remover, let it sit, wipe, wash clean. I did this three times. Still the surface felt bumpy and terrible. Out came the clay bar. Clayed the car to absolute smooth perfection. However I can still see hundreds of splatter marks on the hood and roof. They are seemingly completely smooth. I then polished it by hand with McGuires over the counter polish pushing down probably harder than I should have. Marks still there. I have a feeling they have eteched my paint.

I guess my question is can I go at these like swirl marks? I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of the porter cable xp kits. Which would you recommend for this situation. The 2nd question is... after watching your videos I see you are close. (Stuart for u, West Palm Beach for me) Do you take walk-ins?

Thanks for the time,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is my cars paint destroyed? FL Love Bugs

And if you can't get them out try contacting your insurance company. You may be able to get the car painted under the road hazard section. Possibly without there even being a deductible.

Post Thanks / Like

Love bugs will destroy paint quick, fast, and in a hurry. Treating the etching like a swirl is a good way to go at it. I would first try a finish polish like Mothers Foam Pad Polish or Megs 205 on a grey pad. Work your way up from there. All hope is not lost.

Keeping a good bug remover and microfiber towels in the car is a good idea to remove them after each drive.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick replies.

Man I am so bummed. I keep my cars eat off clean. Inside, Outside, even the engine bay. This situation is gonna push me over the edge!

Orginally I was looking at this kit:

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit

but it sounds like I should be looking at this one?

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze

Is Wolfgang product line better than Mequiars? Or is does it come to personal preference. Not sure if paint color matters but it's dark blue, now a bug splattered dark blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang is an excellent line, but I do not recommend it because I have not tried it. I only like to recommend things I have used. The only wolfgang product I have used is the finishing glaze.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a Griot's kit being as there is a lifetime warranty and the machine is MUCH more powerful than a PC7424XP. I haven't tried the Wolfgang products either, but I can say that I would DEFINITELY recommend the Meguiar's 105/205 combo over pretty much anything else, even the new Meg's Microfiber system. Just my .02. Good luck man.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muahman View Post
    Is Wolfgang product line better than Mequiars? Or is does it come to personal preference. Not sure if paint color matters but it's dark blue, now a bug splattered dark blue.
    I have used the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover effectively on minor swirling using an LC white. I really liked the way it finished down ready for wax and was good to work with in the sun. You also have the LC orange in the kit if you need a bit more cut.

You will find strong advocates for almost any brand. Griots vs XP, Meguiars vs Wolfgang, etc. A lot of times it comes down to personal preference.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    And if you can't get them out try contacting your insurance company. You may be able to get the car painted under the road hazard section. Possibly without there even being a deductible.
    I don't think so. Not a covered loss. And, it's preventative. The impact of the love bug doesn't damage your paint. It's the effect of it sitting on your paint that does. Therefore because you didn't mitigate your damage it's not covered.

I'd try getting a class action lawsuit against the University of Florida. They're the ones that created the whole mess:
    ENY-840/IN694: Living With Lovebugs

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    I don't think so. Not a covered loss. And, it's preventative. The impact of the love bug doesn't damage your paint. It's the effect of it sitting on your paint that does. Therefore because you didn't mitigate your damage it's not covered.

I'd try getting a class action lawsuit against the University of Florida. They're the ones that created the whole mess:
    Seriously why release a non-native bug species with no known predators and acid for blood. What the heck! And my car is Gator blue! heh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post

I just read that article.. I am confused on how the University of Florida is the one to blame.

Some quotes from the article:

Lovebug Myths

Lovebugs escaped after University of Florida researchers brought them into Florida

University of Florida researchers genetically engineered lovebugs to kill mosquitoes

T
    hose were found under the Myths portion of the article.

Of course it also said this:

The body fluids of lovebugs are acidic and immediately dissolve automobile paint. When numerous lovebugs are smashed on the front of a vehicle, the contents of their bodies, especially eggs, coat the painted surface. No permanent damage is caused, however, if the surface is cleaned before the coating is baked by the sun for a day or two. Marisa and Jeffrey Gedney (personnel communication) determined that macerated lovebugs are about neutral with a pH of 6.5 but become acidic at 4.25 within 24 hours. Yet, automobile paint was not damaged after being coated with macerated lovebugs and held in a humid indoor environment for 21 days. A lovebug-coated surface exposed to the sun for an extended period of time, however, may be damaged by the insects and their removal (Denmark and Mead 2001). The front of a vehicle can be protected by coating it with “car wax” and removing the lovebugs within 24 hours.

Who knows. LOL

Bonita Detailing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast