autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I let Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer dry on car paint?

At the moment, I have a small spray bottle of water mixed with optimum No Rinse to use as a bird bomb remover.

However, I want to move to using Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer because I have heard a lot of good things about it. I also want to apply this after I wash my car each time. If I use this product to remove bird bombs, obviously, there's going to be some of the product sprayed onto other parts of the panel. Is it okay for this product to dry on my paint or do I HAVE to wipe the product off?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I let Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer dry on car paint?

Quote Originally Posted by rivaladversary View Post
    If I use this product to remove bird bombs, obviously, there's going to be some of the product sprayed onto other parts of the panel. Is it okay for this product to dry on my paint or do I HAVE to wipe the product off?
    I'd say wipe it off as it is not a wipe on walk away product (WOWA).

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment, I have a small spray bottle of water mixed with optimum No Rinse to use as a bird bomb remover.

However, I want to move to using Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer because I have heard a lot of good things about it. I also want to apply this after I wash my car each time. If I use this product to remove bird bombs, obviously, there's going to be some of the product sprayed onto other parts of the panel. Is it okay for this product to dry on my paint or do I HAVE to wipe the product off?
    UQD surely a great product to remove light dust, bird drop, or anything similar to it. You must wipe the product off after spray it, don't let it dry becuse it's not the way this product applied. Just like kb2ehj said that it is not WOWA product. So wipe it off with minimum pressure to prevent the swirls. Hope it helps

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to remove bird bombs stick to your ONR solution. UQD does not have much lubrication or cleaning power to safely remove anything more then very light dust and finger prints. UQD is a qd with more emphasis on looks then cleaning.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

ONR is ok if it dries on paint then?

Post Thanks / Like

Would not recommend that too. you should have at least 3 MF towel to wipe it dry from your car paint. But with gentle pressure too....

Post Thanks / Like

Basically the only products that you can allow to dry on the paint are waxes and paint sealants, and some of those you don't allow to dry before wiping off either.

Best advise is: One follow the instructions on the product. Two use the search function on the product in question and see if some body has posted the proper method of use. Sometimes this information can be found on the sales pages.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by kb2ehj View Post
    Best advise is: One follow the instructions on the product.
    Good advice.

Spray detailers are meant to be applied, spread around and then wiped-off. Allowing them to dry before removal probably won't hurt anything buy you might find performance compromised.

Their spray waxes can be applied and wiped off or applied, allowed to dry and then wiped off and best performance in most cases is to let the product dry and then wipe off.

For some products, and usually Meguiar's "protection" products, part of the bonding process from the protection ingredients comes from the drying process.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really getting the question...you have a bird bomb, you spray your (cleaning) product on it, and you get some overspray beyond the bird bomb area. So you wait for the bird bomb to soften, wipe it with your towel gently...that leaves you with a soiled towel, a not-completely-dry portion of the paint where the bird bomb was, and an area of overspray mist. You fold your towel in half (so as not to get bird poop on your hands) and use the clean portion of the towel to wipe dry both the bird bomb area and the misted area.

If the problem is that the rest of the car is not that clean, and you are concerned about marring when you dry the overspray mist...well, you have to figure out which is the worst evil...doing nothing for the bird bomb, letting the overspray dry, or wiping dirty parts of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it either.

I noticed a dried bird bomb on my hood the other day after coming out of the coffee shop with my wife. We were going to walk to the grocer's around the corner when I spotted it. Told her to go ahead without me and went to my trunk.

All I had was a bottle of water and some MFs so following Mike's advice re the "scrunchy technique", I folded the towel in half then wet it and let it rest on the bomb. Poured a bit more on top of the towel then sat on the curb for a few minutes enjoying my coffee. Got up and scrunched the towel together (no wiping). The thing came off no problem like it wasn't ever there. No marring or etching whatsoever.

If your paint is happy such that nothing sticks to it, this technique rocks...

and so do you Mike! thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast