autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Sealant Question

Hi,

I am not new to auto detailing, just been away from the "hobby" for a few years. I have returned with a newly found "passion" for auto detailing, hopefully leading to a small part time business.

From what I have been reading here in this forum, a paint sealant will usually last longer then a wax. In the past, I used a paint sealant from "detail King" and the water would "bead" for about a week or two and that was it. After that, the water would just lay there, like the paint had absolutely no protection at all. Is this normal? I tend to think that it isn't.

I am looking for a good paint sealant for my new 2010 Taurus (see avatar). My car is kept outside 95% of the time because my garage is mainly used for my other hobby, furniture making. I was looking at Poorboysworld E-XP paint sealant. Would this product last longer then 2 weeks or so?

Also, my plan is to clay, polish (with my Griot's DA polisher), then apply the sealant (again, with DA polisher).

Any additional comments/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Tom
    2018 Lincoln - MKC
    Midnight Sapphire Blue Metallic

Mike Phillips

Re: Paint Sealant Question

Hi Tom,

How long a wax or paint sealant lasts depends upon the product itself but also how the paint is "touched after it's applied.

Any product will last longer if the owner takes ownership of the washing process and carefully washes and dries the car using premium quality products versus a car that is taken through a brush type car wash. The primary difference in this case being how the car or more specifically the paint is "touched"

Just the act of washing a car can micro-abrade the wax or paint sealant off a little each time. Think of it like this,

When you wash the car are you adding more wax or paint sealant? If you're not adding... what's the opposite of adding?

You'll often times see replies on this forum where a forum member recommends using Dawn dish wash detergent to strip off old wax, if a detergent wash can strip off old wax, doesn't it make sense if you want the coating you applied to last as long as possible to use a non-detergent wash?

So lots of variables that affect how long a wax or paint sealant will last.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike!

I usually hand wash my car about twice a week, with a "good" car wash (shampoo), then I would dry the car with a Chamois. Will drying a car with a Chamois remove the wax or sealant quicker then a micro-fiber towel?

Which paint sealant would you recommend for my car (medium blue metallic)?

Thanks again,
    Tom
    2018 Lincoln - MKC

Post Thanks / Like

A great sealant is Menzerana Power Lock. I've personally never tried the poorboys though, so I cannot comment on that.

If your washing your vehicle twice a week you may use a spray wax or sealant as a drying aid to help keep the car protected.

I personally don't use a chamois. After I wash a car I will take a small electric leaf blower and blow as much water from the car as I can. Then I take a cobra hd guzzler MF and spot dry the car. The theory for this being I touch the paint less. It also helps to use the leaf blower to get the water out of all the crevices like panel gaps, mirrors, etc.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mi77915 View Post
    Thanks Mike!

I usually hand wash my car about twice a week, with a "good" car wash (shampoo), then I would dry the car with a Chamois. Will drying a car with a Chamois remove the wax or sealant quicker then a micro-fiber towel?

Which paint sealant would you recommend for my car (medium blue metallic)?

Thanks again,
    Jason aka SeaJay's gave you some great advice...

One tip that you can use that is very gentle to the paint when it comes to removing the water is to blot it off instead of wiping it off. If you blot the water off then it matter less what the chamois is made out of...

Takes some practice to make it a habit and your neighbors might think your wacky...

Post Thanks / Like

Mike & Jason (SeaJay's),

Thank you for your advise! It is greatly appreciated!!
    Tom
    2018 Lincoln - MKC

Post Thanks / Like

paint sealant = synthetic wax

durability, looks, and more can be quite different between brands. In general some sealants seem more durable but are they actually protecting better ???

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many good synthetic sealants and waxes that are now available. And they will all give you more than two weeks durability, much more. Two products to consider (both of which I have used):

1) Finish Kare 1000p: I used this as our winter protectant this year. After five months, the sealant is still going strong. See First Impressions of 1000p. Excellent value. I enthusiastically recommend this product.

2) Collinite 845: If you do a search through this forum, you will find rabid support for 845, and deservedly so. It provides exceptional durability and has a bright, wet look. The beading is second to none (a cosmetic feature, I know). Excellent value.

3) Ultima Paint Guard Plus: I love this product. It's the easiest sealant in the world to use (excepting, perhaps, Opti-Seal) and can be applied to paint, plastic trim, cladding, metal. It's a bit expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Other sealants that I have not used but which many others love:

4) Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

5) Duragloss 105.

You won't go wrong with any of these products.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the collinite 845! Like akimel said search the forum you will find a ton of support for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Garage Paint Sealant lasts 8 months easy, in my experience. Griot's says it lasts up to a year. It's what I use on things I leave outside and want to spend the least amount of time maintaining. It has a neutral shine, not warm or cold, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast