autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Bay Cleaning

Hi, new here. And I m not sure if Im posting this in the right section or not, but a buddy told me this was the place to get answers for detailing…
    Anyways, I just finished detailing my wifes Honda Element. Came out ok, BUT I popped the hood, and, well, looks like ive neglected it waaaay too long. I know how to dress it up, but how do you clean it safely when its got 5 years of dirt caked on it? Im afraid to pressure wash it. Last time I did that to a mustang of mine it caused all kinds of problems. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I pay someone to do it right? Hopefully I can save some coin and do it myself if anyone knows a safe way to do it.
    Thanks!
    "The supreme irony of life.........
    .......... If nobody gets out alive.......... What's holding you back!?"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Bay Cleaning

I normally do it with some degreaser and some micro fibers, then dress once its cleaned up. Spray the degreaser in your MF if you feel uncomfortable spraying it on the engine. Take stuff apart if you want a more thorough cleaning/detail.....

Can't wait to get my Steamer!!!!
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Think the best thing to do is IMO:

Wrap up all electronics, alternator, terminals, open fuses, wires at there connectors etc (with plastic bags, or lunch wrap stuff) . Make sure they are nice and snug. Personally i would the give the whole engine bay a spray with the hose (try to get it mainly on the dirt and not frenzy the entire thing) let it sit, then spray over with some degreaser or engine cleaner. Personally i just use degreaser, $15 for a gallon and agitate with a large brush, then go over with a toothbrush for those tight and hard to get to places around edges, tubes, pipes etc.

I did that on my 1989 corolla. that had dirt caked on after 20 years. it took me a few hours and a very sunburnt back, but boy did it help sell it!
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got!

Post Thanks / Like

to Autogeek!

Engine Detailing, car engine cleaning, engine cleaner, engine detailing how to, how to clean an engine,

FYI, Meguiar's just came out with a new product for engine bays that you might look into: Meguiars Engine Cleaner, biodegradable engine cleaner
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

What works for me is to get a good degreaser. I use either Meguiars APC, or chemical guys grime reaper. I warm the engine, not hot! I mist with water, then I then spray them degreaser all over the degreaser. Once I have done that, I close the hood and let some allow the degreaser to dwell. After a few minutes I POP the hood and use a brush to agitate problem areas. I apply more cleaner if necessary. Once I feel it is clean, I rinse with water. I do not pressure wash, just a shower of water. I use aluminum foil to cover areas such as the air filter, if exposed, and possibly the alternator. I then run the engine to help dry the compartment. I use microfibers to blur all standing water. I then use the dressing of the day and apply to all hoses and plastics, wiping away any excess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    I normally do it with some degreaser and some micro fibers, then dress once its cleaned up. Spray the degreaser in your MF if you feel uncomfortable spraying it on the engine. Take stuff apart if you want a more thorough cleaning/detail.....

Can't wait to get my Steamer!!!!
    When detailing under the hood, do I need to cover any parts or avoid anything when cleaning it? I'm thinking about using APC+ or Super degreaser with MF and maybe a brush.

Can you just spray down using power washer? I don't have any clue how to detail engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slickooz View Post
    When detailing under the hood, do I need to cover any parts or avoid anything when cleaning it? I'm thinking about using APC+ or Super degreaser with MF and maybe a brush.

Can you just spray down using power washer? I don't have any clue how to detail engine.
    CieraSl just posted this link up - Engine Detailing, car engine cleaning, engine cleaner, engine detailing how to, how to clean an engine, , which looks informative.

I personally again am one of the few on here that doesn't use water unless to mix with my chemicals or for carpets. I am so use to just getting in there with some good degreaser or APC and wiping everything by hand..... because I do this I never cover anything because I either spray in my MF or am careful where I spray the chemicals.... The water method may be great - just always done it my way! Check out the link CieraSl posted, may be the route to go..... but I will stick to what has worked for me.
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=The water method may be great - just always done it my way! Check out the link CieraSl posted, may be the route to go..... but I will stick to what has worked for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its best if you can just wipe i guess, but some times water is easier. was for me anyway, helps to wash it all off as well.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaayman View Post
    Yeah its best if you can just wipe i guess, but some times water is easier. was for me anyway, helps to wash it all off as well.

Now that I am thinking about it - I did turn down an engine detail last year because a guy went mudding and it got thrown all over the engine.... I mean it was bad as could be. I told the gentleman that I don't feel comfortable using water on engines - he was cool with it and let me did everything else to his ride. I guess safety always sticks first in the back of my head - for the detailer and the vehicle - and I've heard to many horror stories of people getting water in the wrong places - and wala, big bill to pay! So, I like my method personally lol
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=B&B I've heard to many horror stories of people getting water in the wrong places - and wala, big bill to pay! So, I like my method personally lol[/QUOTE]

haha fair enough. ive done my engine bay a few times with water. all carburetor vehicles. was interesting, would drive off and here a tick. then would go (must of been when water evaporated).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast