autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.

The roof of my 2004 Black Mitsubishi Endeavor is almost all rusted, the hood to me looks like it do not have clear coat anymore and 2 wks ago I discovered that the metal under my car seats are rusted also and some metal behind the gas and brake.

My sister also has the same yr make and model car but Blue she even got it from the same dealership 2 wks after I got mine, her paint is ok but I checked under her seats and also has some rust.

1 1/2 yrs ago we lost a class action against Mitsubishi and all I kept hearing in my head was hearing the guys at the Mitsubishi saying it was going to cost 3k to 6k to fix it...and back then it was not as bad as it is right now.

Since Nov. that I have seen video's on youtub it has given me some hope and coming here and reading gave me the push to start doing something about it myself, I'm slowly buying the things I think I'm going to need.

There is 1 product I think is my only choice for the roof and I want to see if anyone here has used it.

it's KBS Coating

http://www.kbs-coatings.com

also thats for the rust but what about the rest of the paint?

Oh and this pictures are already 3 wks after starting to clean but not touching the roof.

Thanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.-p1100823-640x480-jpg   911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.-p1100824-640x480-jpg   911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.-p1100832-jpg   911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.-p1100825-jpg   911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.-p1100828-jpg   911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.-p1100834-jpg   911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.-p1100839-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.

As for the rust under the seats, I feel like thats normal. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer and the seats have that rust coating, as does the metal behind the dashboard.
    2004 Infiniti M45 "Emmie"- Twilight Blue Pearl

2000 Ford Explorer "Clifford" - Toreador Red Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the pictures I think you can tell what is what except for #4 that is a close up on the hood.
    Rosie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmmz3kwe View Post
    As for the rust under the seats, I feel like thats normal. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer and the seats have that rust coating, as does the metal behind the dashboard.
    x2

but that other stuff, the exterior stuff...i thought that was a well-documented issue against mitsu? it's obvious that EVERYTHING has failed within the paint system they used during that time period.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Your roof has surface rust for sure. The rest is clear coat failure

The undercarriage (petro tank/floorboards) you might wanna sand down and spray black

Not alot can be done then to respray the exterior. If moneys tight, you might checkout someplace like Maaco for one of their $600 Ultimate Supreme Specials

You could also just leave the keys in the ignition and only hope some knucklehead wraps it around a pole...< J/K
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    x2

but that other stuff, the exterior stuff...i thought that was a well-documented issue against mitsu? it's obvious that EVERYTHING has failed within the paint system they used during that time period.
    The best way to have the Manufacture repair it is to show up @ the Stealership and raise cain about Mitsi having suck a** paint. Try to time your visit during there peak hours. If they try to brush you off, tell them you'll be back at a later date to discuss the matter further
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

That is just awful and I'm quite sure they used the cheapo clear stuff on that paint job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that blows, if ur on your own I would look tosomeone like macco and do there "uber" one since it will still cost less than a roof paint at a regular place. The good one from them will cover more prep and turn out better.

With that many failures of the paint u may be able to slow it down but all u are doing is buying time to failure.

The kbs looks good for the inside, if your going that route. Strip the interior out and cover the whole inside at one time

Post Thanks / Like

It is a shame aboutyour paint. Apparently Mitsubishi, Honda, and some of the other Japanese manufacturers skimped on paint techniques during that time period. I would agree going with the Maaco route,

Post Thanks / Like

looking at it from my point of view please hear this. do not take it to maaco. i repeat, DO NOT TAKE IT TO MAACO!!! its the worst thing you can do to your car. i am studying autobody collision repair and we have been told maaco is by far the worst place to take a car. as far as the roof goes, it has to get treated and repainted. im sure your roof had about 1 1/2 coats of clear. i doubt it even had 2. im really sorry that happened to your car. if you would like i can give you a detailed explanation as of what you can do to resolve it. trust me, painting seems hard, but as long as you have the correct things to use and follow the correct procedures its a breeze!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast