autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage 6" or Porter Cable 7424xp

Hello Mike,

I am currently on the market for a polisher but have never used one before. I am either going to purchase the Griots Garage 6" or Porter Cable 7424xp.

If you were in my shoes which one would you buy and why? Please dont tell me they are both equal . They are almost the same price so the price is not a factor.

I am having a tough time deciding on which one to get. However you have used both the Griots Garage 6" and Porter Cable 7424xp. Therefore i would appreciate your advice in terms of which one is overall a better polisher overall.

I am going to be working on correcting the paint on my 1993 Lexus LS400 in White/Pearl color. Mainly there are scratches not swirls. A lot of the scratches look deep. I believe they penetrated the clear coat. Is it possible to take the scratches out with a Polisher especially the deeper ones that probably went past the clear coat? Both sides of the car aren't really scratched up at all. Its mainly on the Trunk and Hood.

I would appreciate any suggestions in terms of the polisher, buffing compounds, and the pads in order to specifically take out scratches not really swirls. I am completely new to this but you are an expert on what pads, and compounds to utilize in order to get scratches out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Garage 6" or Porter Cable 7424xp

I have both of these polishers, and I prefer the PC. To me it has a better feel to it. They both perform well but I am more comfortable with the PC.

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek!

Here a like with some great information that might help you to choose.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...g-project.html

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Griots to replace an older PC. I prefer the Griots handle. It is more powerful and has one of the best warranties in the biz. Build quality is better on the PC, IMO. Either way get a 5" backing plate.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I also got a Griot's to replace an older PC...great machine. I wasn't really unhappy with the older machine but the new Griot's outclassed it in every way. As soon as you turn it on the difference in torque is amazing. After a year of use it still impresses and I sold the older machine at a swap meet.

Not saying you'll be sorry with a new PC...my comparison isn't really fair since I haven't tried PC's latest...just saying you won't go wrong with the Griot's.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are nice machines but I might also choose the Griots if I needed to replace an original PC.

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an older Porter Cable, it worked and worked and worked. If I was to buy a new machine, it would be a flex or a cyclo.
    If you plan on detailing full time consider the better machine. I do think the PC is a great tool and useful in many ways. I think I used mine for 4 yrs with no problem and that is using it 3 or more times a week.

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing to note with the flex is "It cannot" use the smaller pads. I think there "was" an edge system adapter but it's on back order or not availiable...

I think you can readily adapt the pc/Griots down to a 4" pad....

- not sure, maybe someone can chime in here?

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I've had the chance to use both on the same car, I would choose the Griots hands down. The problems I found when using the PC were not found with the Griots. For example coming up to a curved surface with a decent size pad, and having it stop rotating. The new Griots has alot of power. And also you'll find after hours of use the Griots doesn't beat your hands up as bad Well built machine with a crazy warranty. On a side note I would take the hoop handle off if you go with the Griots.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you guys pick up a PC for $100 if you saw it on sale locally? I can get one locally for $100 and it already has the 6" counterweight.
    Side note. I already have a Griot's Garage DA. I'm just wanting a PC for the 4" pads and wax pads so that I don't have to constantly switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast