autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which wool pad? LC, solo, meguiars double sided???

I need to order some pads for my new makita 9227, but every time I start to order I just get a brain freeze! There are just too many options! I already have a bunch of CCS 6.5 foam pads for my DA polisher, so Im planning on ordering a 6" BP and using those. I have used wool pads before, but Im not sure what brand they were. Im wanting to stay in the 7"-8" range. I cant decide between the meguiars 7" solo wool pads, meguiars 8" double side wool pads, or the 7.5" Lake country my questions are below:

1. Can I use the solo wool pads with a w68 baking plate and 6" Lake county baking plate or will I need the solo backing plate?

2. will using a bp other than the solo baking plate cause the solo wool pads to cut more agressively?

3. Should I just go with the meguiars double sided wool instead? Are these as flexible when used on a curvy vehicle?

Thanks in adance, and if anyone likes a wool pad other than these please mention it and let me know! Thanks in advance

Mike Phillips

Re: Which wool pad? LC, solo, meguiars double sided???

Quote Originally Posted by bret3x View Post

I have used wool pads before, but Im not sure what brand they were. Im wanting to stay in the 7"-8" range. I cant decide between the meguiars 7" solo wool pads, meguiars 8" double side wool pads, or the 7.5" Lake country my questions are below:

1. Can I use the solo wool pads with a w68 baking plate and 6" Lake county baking plate or will I need the solo backing plate?
    You can use the W68 with the Solo Pads but the Solo pads were specifically designed for use with the W66 Backing Plate and you will compromise intended performance by using a non-cushioned backing plate.

Personally, I like backing plates with the foam cushion built-in, the W66 is a very nice backing plate and helps to keep the pad flat to the surface with plenty of cushion.

If you look at the new Lake Country 1-Pad system the new backing plate also has lots of foam cushion, so this is the trend and there are usually reasons for trends. The new 1-Pad system also includes some aggressive wool cutting pads, so it's another option although it's not in stock yet.

2. will using a bp other than the solo baking plate cause the solo wool pads to cut more aggressively?
    My guess would be yes just because a foam interface tends to decrease aggressiveness, not increase aggressiveness.

3. Should I just go with the meguiars double sided wool instead? Are these as flexible when used on a curvy vehicle?
    The Meguiar's W5000 Double Sided Wool Cutting pad is very flexible, more flexible than the Edge double sided buffing pads, which Edge now manufactures 3M's pads.

The W5000 is a fast cutting pad, I like it and by the time you install the adapter/extension to mount it to your rotary buffer it extends it out a ways from the head of the buffing and this can be helpful for some panels and also makes cleaning the pad in a pad washer easier.

Most aggressive wool cutting pads are going to cut fast when used with an aggressive compound, so it's really a matter of finding the one that's right for you. The Lake Country single side aggressive pads all cut well too...

I like double sided pads because they tend to be very balanced, (no alignment issues), and there's no backing plate edge to contend with. I've used the Meguiar's W5000 for years now and always had good results with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Double sided is the way to go on a rotary no matter if the pad is foam or wool. You never have to center/balance the pad, you can just flip the pad rather than grabbing a new one, and you can get a car done quicker by not having to do the usual grab a pad, center it, and then use it method.
    Jon Miles

Mike Phillips

In my articles list, there's an article on the two different options for using a double sided pad, I include lots of pictures and links

Here's the current list of articles under the topic of pads,

Buffing Pads - Wool Pads & Foam Pads

The different types of foam formulas in the CCS Smart Foam Pad Line

Thin is in... New Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads

How to dry a foam pad after hand washing

5 1/2 inch and 6 inch Buffing Pads on Autogeek's Online Store

5 Inch Backing Plates for DA Polishers - Pictures and Links

3.5" Backing Plates and 4" Spot Repair Pads on DA Polishers

Using a 4" Spot Repair Kit to Remove Paint Defects

Lake Country 7.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool 100% Twisted Aggressive Wool Cutting Pad

The Edge 8" Black 100% Domestic Wool Heavy Cut Pad

Meguiar's Double Sided 100% Wool Cutting Pad

Small Spot Repair Buffing Pads and Backing Plates

3M Quick Release Adapter vs the Double-Sided Pad Rotary Buffer Adapter - Differences?

5" and 6" Backing Plates on 6.5" pads (Pictures to show safety margin)

You want to click on this one...
    3M Quick Release Adapter vs the Double-Sided Pad Rotary Buffer Adapter - Differences?

Here are some close-up pictures that show the differences in how the 3M Quick Release Adapter works vs the Double-Sided Pad Rotary Buffer Adapter

Starring the Flex 3403 to model the 3M Adapter and the Makita 9227C to model the Double Sided Pad - Rotary Buffer Adapter.

The Flex 3403 Lightweight Rotary Buffer is on the left and the Makita 9227C is on the right.