autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

XZILON - Question and prep?

Greetings,
    I am a long time customer of Autogeek customer (actually expecting a shipment today J).
    I’m not in the Detailing business but I’ve always enjoyed taking care of my vehicles and keeping them looking good!

Anyway, I finally convinced my wife to let me purchase a Black 2010 Dodge Challenger!! I love the car and I’ve had it for about a month now. A good friend of mine owns the dealership and I know I got a good deal (as good as you can get on a new car anyway). They also through in XZILON at NO charge. I have seen mixed reviews, mainly it being overpriced, etc. They were out of the Black XZILON when I picked up my vehicle, they have it in now and want me to bring it in.
    Should I get it put on my Challenger and if so, is there any prep work I should do before I take it in for the application. I’m sure they will just put it on and not prep it properly (or at least like I would). Like I said I have driven it for a month and I have only washed it and touched up with Detailing spray so I was wondering if I needed to cleanse the paint or even clay it before, or if I do this. I enjoy waxing my car on a regular basis and want to make sure if I have this stuff put on it won’t affect my ability to play around and try new stuff.

All that being said, since it’s free – should I try it? And if so, how should I prep for it.

Thanks for any help and guidance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: XZILON - Question and prep?

I'm really not familiar with the product. Here's the website, not much info there. It appears to be a sealer.

(LINK REMOVED)
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't let them touch it. Chances are you will get it back loaded with swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    I wouldn't let them touch it. Chances are you will get it back loaded with swirls.
    Do you ever detail cars, or spend all day on the forum?

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Mike is busy at SEMA so it may be a while before he sees this, so I'm taking the liberty of throwing my two cents in. DON'T LET THE DEALER TOUCH YOUR CAR. You have about a 2% chance that whoever works on your car cares or is capable of working at a Geekian level. As you noted, almost all of these dealer sealants are no better than a mid-pack sealant, they are "expensive" because they give you a warranty which they have 'bout a hunnert loopholes that allow them to void it.

And not to insult your friend, but I don't care if he owns the dealer and he's your friend, most dealer personnel will insist that black cars come with swirls as a factory option, and if they don't or if you can convince them that new cars aren't supposed to look that way, they will tell you they have a great detailer (17 yo kid who's been there for a week with a rotary and wool pad that's been face down on the concrete floor) that will take them right out. If the swirls are still there or worse after, they will tell you that they aren't possible to remove, because, you see, they just detailed it and they're still there.

As some forum member somewhere had as his sig "black isn't a color, it's a full-time job". Friends don't let friends take their black cars to the dealer for ANYTHING.

Post Thanks / Like

It is indeed a paint sealant ....

(seperate note to all, no links to competitor sites or forums)

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    It is indeed a paint sealant ....

(seperate note to all, no links to competitor sites or forums)
    My bad
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    DON'T LET THE DEALER TOUCH YOUR CAR. You have about a 2% chance that whoever works on your car cares or is capable of working at a Geekian level.

they will tell you they have a great detailer (17 yo kid who's been there for a week with a rotary and wool pad that's been face down on the concrete floor) that will take them right out. If the swirls are still there or worse after, they will tell you that they aren't possible to remove, because, you see, they just detailed it and they're still there.
    So true, to a car dealer, a "good detailer" is one that shows up most days and doesn't take too long of a lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

it was on my car when i bought it. i have since thoroughly removed it and brought the car up to my standards. i is a very good sealant but since you are like me. just skip it and do your own experimenting. we live in a golden age of detailing and products are everywhere and the forums let you know about em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Do you ever detail cars, or spend all day on the forum?
    I spend all day in the forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast