autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How Do I Fix this (pic included)

To set the stage. Earlier this year my car stopped running away from home in the middle of a snow storm. I had it towed to a shop to have it fixed. I had a pretty good idea what the problem was but I wanted some things done I couldn't (didn't want to do) so I left it there. Despite my efforts to get it fixed it took over 6 months to get the car back in my possession. I was not pleased with this but whatever I have the car back.

During it's stay at the shop it was outside and taking some abuse from the elements including some trees. The picture shown is post clay. The paint is smoooth to the touch but obviously is far from anything acceptable. I'm not looking for a showroom finish on this car because it's my daily transportation/winter car.

I don't really think I have the products needed to correct something like this but I'd like some help. I've had this car since I was 16 and have put a lot of time in effort into making it into something that reflect my personality.

If it matters the car is a 1991 bmw 325ix.

pic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Do I Fix this (pic included)

Clay bar and a IPA clean up ?!
    Guillaume is my name.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

IPA cleanup? Not sure what that is I'm still sort of new to the site. You guys abbreviate everything.

This picture is after claying. I might try to go over it again with a bit more pressure but it doesn't seem to matter much upon first effort.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate it when cars run away from home.

Cliff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcDave View Post
    To set the stage. Earlier this year my car stopped running away from home in the middle of a snow storm. I had it towed to a shop to have it fixed. I had a pretty good idea what the problem was but I wanted some things done I couldn't (didn't want to do) so I left it there. Despite my efforts to get it fixed it took over 6 months to get the car back in my possession. I was not pleased with this but whatever I have the car back.

During it's stay at the shop it was outside and taking some abuse from the elements including some trees. The picture shown is post clay. The paint is smoooth to the touch but obviously is far from anything acceptable. I'm not looking for a showroom finish on this car because it's my daily transportation/winter car.

I don't really think I have the products needed to correct something like this but I'd like some help. I've had this car since I was 16 and have put a lot of time in effort into making it into something that reflect my personality.

If it matters the car is a 1991 bmw 325ix.

pic
    Are the spots "etched water spots" or something else?

Do you have a DA or will you try to remove them by hand?

I removed water spots from a friend's Audi this summer with Megs Ultimate Compound and an 6.5" orange pad, then finished with polish. I would have used Megs 105 but I had UC and the 105 was in transit. The UC worked far better than I expected when OTC Swirl-X and a couple other polishes did nothing.

I'm a hobbiest, so the professionals amongst the forum may have better suggestions.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffnopus View Post
    I hate it when cars run away from home.

Cliff
    lol.

I tried swirl remover that I had. You'll notice the front corner is a bit brighter. They are smooth and from a tree of some sort. I think I need more than a swirl remover. I have a porter cable so I'm not working by hand. I do have an orange pad but no products that aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a porter cable so I'm not working by hand. I do have an orange pad but no products that aggressive.
    Run down to walmart or one of the auto parts stores and pick up some Meguiars Ultimate Compound. If it can be fixed then UC should get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

IPA cleanup? Not sure what that is I'm still sort of new to the site. You guys abbreviate everything.

This picture is after claying. I might try to go over it again with a bit more pressure but it doesn't seem to matter much upon first effort.
    Hey Doc,

Welcome! Bummer about the car.

IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol.

Many use a 50% V/V solution diluted from either 70% or 90% as a cleaning solvent. Some use 70% IPA straight, spray it on the surface and wipe with an Microfiber (MF) towel.

They normally use IPA to remove polish residue after polishing to leave a clean paint surface for the wax or sealant. It also removes fillers that might remain in left-over swirls so they know the level of correction. Others will use straight mineral spirits (don't use the "environmentally green" formula that looks milky) instead of IPA. There are times when a solvent wipedown is prefered and times when it's not necessary.

Depending on what damaged or is sticking to your paint, a solvent like IPA may or may not remove it. If the paint has a surface stain instead of water spot etch, a paint cleaner may be all you need to clean up the spots.

I would try the least aggressive method to remove the spots first, and start with a paint cleaner before I moved to the compounds.

Hopefully, you will get really lucky!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Run down to walmart or one of the auto parts stores and pick up some Meguiars Ultimate Compound. If it can be fixed then UC should get the job done.
    +1 on Ultimate Compound

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    Hey Doc,

Welcome! Bummer about the car.

IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol.

Many use a 50% V/V solution diluted from either 70% or 90% as a cleaning solvent. Some use 70% IPA straight, spray it on the surface and wipe with an Microfiber (MF) towel.

They normally use IPA to remove polish residue after polishing to leave a clean paint surface for the wax or sealant. It also removes fillers that might remain in left-over swirls so they know the level of correction. Others will use straight mineral spirits (don't use the "environmentally green" formula that looks milky) instead of IPA. There are times when a solvent wipedown is prefered and times when it's not necessary.

Depending on what damaged or is sticking to your paint, a solvent like IPA may or may not remove it. If the paint has a surface stain instead of water spot etch, a paint cleaner may be all you need to clean up the spots.

I would try the least aggressive method to remove the spots first, and start with a paint cleaner before I moved to the compounds.

Hopefully, you will get really lucky!
    I'll try this and see how I make out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast