autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I remove overspray?

How can I remove overspray from my car? I just had a small tear in the back bumper fixed and I just discovered what feels like possible overspray over the entire car. I had just did the WG TSR, FG, WGDGPS, and topped it with Fuzion. The paint is in good shape any suggestions on the easiest way to get rid of the overspray? My paint is feeling really rough. I also have on hand some LC orange, white, and blue pads and the Meg twins (105-205). Not sure how to fix the problem. Also any suggestions on how to protect the new paint? It's one day old.

Here's a couple before photo's (the lack of photography skills are showing) I had a hard time with the weather, as soon as I finished it rained.

Thanks,
    David

How do I remove overspray?-auto-geek-pics-001-jpg

How do I remove overspray?-auto-geek-pics-002-jpg

How do I remove overspray?-auto-geek-pics-010-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I remove overspray?

For the overspray and roughness, did you try claying?

Post Thanks / Like

Get out the clay bar
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Mike Phillips

Try detailing clay...

Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

Part 1 - How To Use Detailing Clay

Part 2 - How To Use Detailing Clay

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

After claying will I need to polish with the 205 or WG FG? Or will the claying even harm the work I've already done? Also I just ran out of the dedicated claybar spray, all I have it the FK, WG detail sprits, and WG sealant spray. Would any of these work as a substitute until I get my DP BOGO?

Post Thanks / Like

If you provide adequate lubrication you should not have to go back over with a finishing polish.

You will need to reapply all of Sealants/Waxes though.

Why would you do so much work without Claybaring the paint first? I'm not pickin on ya, just curious.
    Shawn
    Houston Area Mobile Detailing
    www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Edit - Nevermind, I missed that the overspray was caused from post-detailing work done on the car. Sorry to hear that
    Shawn
    Houston Area Mobile Detailing
    www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post
    After claying will I need to polish with the 205 or WG FG? Or will the claying even harm the work I've already done?
    There's been some chatter lately about how some people are seeing light scratching in their car's finish after claying and I would have to say that I've seen this too but luckily it's rare and in most cases will be more related to the paint being scratch sensitive, not because clay is evil.

I was working on a show car this year, black in color and noticed during clay demonstrations the paint was being scratched so I removed the scratches with a DA Polisher and a light polish.

It's one of the few times I've ever seen claying leaving scratches in the paint.

The goal is to use the right clay and a quality lubricant along with good technique whenever you're claying paint, but even so, inspect the results afterwards.

When it comes to removing overspray or any other "Above Surface Bonded Contaminant", at this point in time claying is the best alternative out of your choices because claying will remove above surface bonded contaminants without removing paint. You're other options without getting super complicated with some kind of chemical that will dissolve overspray but won't dissolve the car paint are some type of abrasive product like a compound, the problem with a compound however is that it's usually not as effective as claying at removing overspray depending upon how it's applied.

If applied with a foam pad any any kind of electric polisher including a rotary buffer the foam will merely glide over the bumps of overspray, some overspray will be removed but not all the overspray, that's why I use the word "effective" above.

If a wool pad is used on a rotary buffer to remove overspray then it's a lot more effective but now the fibers of the wool pad, the compound and the remove overspray will leave swirls in the paint and now you'll have to remove these.

So at this point in time, claying is the best choice or alternative for removing above surface bonded contaminants, just use GREAT quality products and GREAT technique, (you can use good products and good technique if you want to since it's your car but it sounds like you're going to want to do your best so I used the words great instead of good), and then inspect the results and move on from there.

Me personally? If I were in your shoes I would clay the paint to remove the overspray, the re-polish the paint to a crystal like shine and then re-seal the paint with a quality wax or paint sealant, especially if the car in question is important to me or my “toy”.

Mike Phillips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast