autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Popular Mechanics - Interior protectants harmful to your trim

I am not sure if anyone else reads Popular Mechanics but in the latest issue, September 2010, they talk about interior protectants and how harmful thay are to your interior. I've never heard this before and wanted to get your opinion on the subject. On two seperate instances they mention the same thing.

First is in an article about breaking in a new car. Here is the quote:

Avoid the impulse to slather the interior trim with shiny protectants, which can leach the placticizers out of new vinyl and increase the likelihood of age-related cracks.
    The second is in the Q&A part of the magazine where a reader asks about a 1/4" crack in his dash. As part of the answer on how to repair the crack they talk about possible causes:

Sunlight, excessive cleaning and incessant slathering with protectant can leach all the vinyl-chloride plasticizer out of the vinyl - which the gets brittle and cracks.
    So I guess my question is, is there any truth to these statements?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Popular Mechanics - Interior protectants harmful to your trim

I would think that is a generalization that is true in some cases and not true in others. It should depend on the chemical makeup of the protectant. The question is which ones do and which ones don't.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that said about armorall, not really sure about how true it is. I guess it depends on whats in the products your using and the overall condition of the materials you are working on. I would tend to think a non treated dash would just crack over time vs a well conditioned and taken care of dash?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been hearing that about Armor All. I can't say I've had problems with it, but now I'm using 303 on the dash, Lexol products on the leather seats, and satisfied with them. I agree with Cee Dog, it depends. And I also think it depends on how much, how often, and how much sun/cold etc. the dash is exposed to. PM probably didn't mention any brands or what chemicals?

Post Thanks / Like

I think this relates more to protectants that use petroleum distillates. Not many interior products do anymore, atleast out of what I've used.
    See verbiage here on pinnacle: Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Protectant protects interior rubber and vinyl, low shine finish, UV protection, stop fading, protect dash, dash dressing, interior protectant

Vinyl & Rubber Protectant is a water-based conditioner that nourishes your interior surfaces so they remain supple and moisturized. It contains NO petroleum distillates that can dry out the vinyl over time and cause premature cracking. Natural ingredients combined with high-tech protectants restore the original color and sheen to vinyl and rubber surfaces while shielding them from UV rays.

Post Thanks / Like

my proof would be look at show cars that are driven and babied with protectant. still look good years later. technically it makes good copy for a mag but i will go with my own luck over the years (never one dash failure) and the results from detailers forums.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have heard the same rumor about armorall and i have yet to see any evidence to prove that rumor. I know individuals that swear by armorall and have used it for many years with no issues. I myself use Meguiars Supreme Shine Protectant and love it. But before this, i used armorall and had NO issues whatsoever. Hell if the stuff is so bad, why are using Tony Stewart to endorse their products? If the stuff was so bad, i would not want my name on it saying that the stuff works. JMO2Cents

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailguy71 View Post
    Hell if the stuff is so bad, why are using Tony Stewart to endorse their products? If the stuff was so bad, i would not want my name on it saying that the stuff works. JMO2Cents
    Money.

Post Thanks / Like

No they didn't mention any brands or types, just made a broad assumption. I can only assume that the author was referring to the over the counter brands that you would find at the local car parts store. As mentioned above I can't imagine that a water based product would do any harm.

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't the dashboards of today's cars improved over the ones that unfairly made Armor All look bad. I doubt armor would make a dash crack all by itself; wasn't the greater reason of cracked dashboards due to the poor quality of plastic pieces auto makers used in the 70's and 80's?
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast