autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What's The Best Way To Deal With This

Single stage lacquer, either orange peel or, I suspect that it was never properly finished after it was painted.

I don't think I want to attempt to hit this with the rotary or the orbital. Should I

Sand it with a soft pad and 3000, then use 105, or skip the sanding part and just use 105?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's The Best Way To Deal With This-011a-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Deal With This

If your going to sand, a polisher of some sort will be nescecary IMO. Unless you have telephone pole arms
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    If your going to sand, a polisher of some sort will be nescecary IMO. Unless you have telephone pole arms
    telephone pole arms? Not likely, more like ski pole arms complete with a healthly case of arthrits thrown in for good measure. When I started this project, it was a race to see which got me first; the 98 degree day in an un-airconditioned shop (bearable until about 1 in the afternoon,) OR, my shoulder giving out. I figured that if I did a quarter panel, door and front fender for the weekend, I could get the other side done the next weekend. That way I had a whole week for the body to recover. You do use a lot of different muscles doing this.

So, I should use 105 by hand on that area?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillH View Post
    telephone pole arms? Not likely, more like ski pole arms complete with a healthly case of arthrits thrown in for good measure.
    Wow, I'm not alone!

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillH View Post
    Single stage lacquer, either orange peel or, I suspect that it was never properly finished after it was painted.

I don't think I want to attempt to hit this with the rotary or the orbital. Should I

Sand it with a soft pad and 3000, then use 105, or skip the sanding part and just use 105?

Thanks
    I see two things in your thumbnail attachment...

• Orange Peel
    • Dull Paint

Orange Peel is best removed by sanding and sanding marks are best removed using a rotary buffer although it can be done using other tools...

It can also be done by hand if you have arms of steel...

Also took some pictures to show you can remove sanding marks by hand if you don't mind putting a little passion behind the pad...

This can come in real hand if you want to be extra careful around a raised body line, especially if it's not your car...

A dull surface is common with single stage lacquer after painting as the surface will tend to mottle with the solvents that are working their way out of the paint leaving a dull looking appearance.

Rubbing the dull area out with some M105 should restore gloss and clarity and afterwards be sure to seal the surface with some wax or a paint sealant.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I see two things in your thumbnail attachment...

• Orange Peel
    • Dull Paint
    Orange Peel is best removed by sanding and sanding marks are best removed using a rotary buffer although it can be done using other tools...

It can also be done by hand if you have arms of steel...

Also took some pictures to show you can remove sanding marks by hand if you don't mind putting a little passion behind the pad...

This can come in real hand if you want to be extra careful around a raised body line, especially if it's not your car...

A dull surface is common with single stage lacquer after painting as the surface will tend to mottle with the solvents that are working their way out of the paint leaving a dull looking appearance.

Rubbing the dull area out with some M105 should restore gloss and clarity and afterwards be sure to seal the surface with some wax or a paint sealant.

I have experimented with sanding the orange peel in really tight places, going from 2, 2.5 to 3K and then rubbing it by hand using M105. so far, so good. As painful as this is to do, the end results of this project are very rewarding and a lot of fun.

In the typical way I get into new things, I have purchased a number of items that I will probably never use. I bought a few 7" foam pads, complete with backing plate for the rotary. These pads will fit the orbital, should I use them on the Griot or stick to the 5" pads?
    Thanks