autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water sheeting

Post Thanks / Like

Water sheeting

I haven't kept track of waxes that sheet for a while but maybe someone else will chime in.

I'm going to do a back-flip and a whole bunch of this if I see the industry now reverse course and the enthusiasts market demands sheeting waxes after all these forum years of fussing about water beading...

Truth is any knowledgeable detailer or painter for that matter, will tell you that water beading isn't a good thing for paint.

Seriously, most waxes and paint sealants are going to create surface tension and you're going to get water beading.

If you didn't mind polishing often with a non-wax or non sealing product that could be an option for you.

This was posted back in 2009...

Any update on products that sheet water. I have a black car, and the beading causes bad water spots and it always rain's here.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water sheeting

He's got a point...........before I started caring for my daily driver I never really had water spots. Now that I've been using sealants I get a ton of spots after it rains.

Post Thanks / Like

Autoglym HD is my favorite wax regarding sheeting properties, it is pretty durable to. I demonstrate this wax's ability to sheet water in my thread by the same name, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-sheeting.html

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    He's got a point...........before I started caring for my daily driver I never really had water spots. Now that I've been using sealants I get a ton of spots after it rains.
    I've heard people say that carnauba waxes tend to be more resistant to water spots than sealants. I believe it, but haven't tested the theory. Maybe I'll do a 50/50 of Wolfgang Fuzion vs. DGPS 3.0 on my trunk lid and see if there is a noticeable difference and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't look like AG sells Autoglym....too bad. For my daily driver I may have to start using a wax that sheets and doesn't bead.

I may test that theory too..........I used DP sealant to seal the car and after each wash I go over it with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. I've been waiting to try my Pinnacle SSII, looks like I have a reason to now.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's killing my car. I understand having a show car finish is nice. But I would also like it to be something that doesn't look like crap the first time it rains as I do live in CNY (central NY)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    It doesn't look like AG sells Autoglym....too bad. For my daily driver I may have to start using a wax that sheets and doesn't bead.

I may test that theory too..........I used DP sealant to seal the car and after each wash I go over it with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. I've been waiting to try my Pinnacle SSII, looks like I have a reason to now.
    I would prefer to keep my business with AG. So if there is something similar, please let me know. I am using Klassey Sealant with a topping of Pinnical Sov

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya man, I would prefer to buy only from AG myself, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Perhaps someone from AG can chime in on this and let us know if they sell any waxes that sheets water and doesn't bead.

To tell you the truth, the beading doesn't bother me too much, I kinda enjoy it. But after it dries I do get spots and it doesn't look good. I guess the obvious answer would be to wash it after a rain, but I like to wash on my own schedule, not mother nature's. So I'll probably move to a sheeting wax after I use up my current stash.

Mike Phillips

From a behind the scenes point of view...

You can explain all day long about the benefits of water sheeting as compared to water beading but at the end of the day people want to see water bead up, that is the visual sign to the average person and even online enthusiasts that the paint is protected.

A chemist once told me that the best protecting ingredients don't actually bead water very well and that when used the formula has to be modified to make water bead merely for perception value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    From a behind the scenes point of view...

You can explain all day long about the benefits of water sheeting as compared to water beading but at the end of the day people want to see water bead up, that is the visual sign to the average person and even online enthusiasts that the paint is protected.

A chemist once told me that the best protecting ingredients don't actually bead water very well and that when used the formula has to be modified to make water bead merely for perception value.

Well, if you have any info on the best water sheathing product. I will gladly buy some to try it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibbsj87 View Post
    Well, if you have any info on the best water sheathing product. I will gladly buy some to try it
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast