autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Optiseal, Multiple coats okay?

I have recently received a bunch of supplies from Autogeek including Optiseal. I am coming from an all Zaino setup and am going to give Optiseal a try. Problem is that Zaino had an accelerator for curing and you could just keep applying coat after coat of their sealant, but I'm guessing you can't do that with Optiseal... but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if it's okay to apply multiple coats of Optiseal right after the first coat dries? Or should I wait a day or so then apply another?

Is it even necessary to apply multiple coats of Optiseal or does it work differently than Zaino?

I Plan on following up with Natty's Blue Paste Wax after the Optiseal is done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Thanks, Mk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optiseal, Multiple coats okay?

Opti-Seal needs to set up. Give it 8-12 hours to cure before slapping on Natty's Blue. This has always been my understanding of Opti-Seal.

Yes, Zaino's ZFX catalyst sure makes getting a lot done in one day nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Multiple coats is just a waste of product and time. Apply the sealant, wait for it to cure then apply the wax.

Post Thanks / Like

So I should only apply one coat of Optiseal? Any reason why Zaino says you can apply multiple coats but on Optiseal you shouldn't? Also, how many coats of Natty's Blue would you recommend applying? and does the Wax need time to cure like the sealant?

Thanks a bunch for the replies, trying to get this done by Sunday. Will post pics once it's done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
    So I should only apply one coat of Optiseal? Any reason why Zaino says you can apply multiple coats but on Optiseal you shouldn't? Also, how many coats of Natty's Blue would you recommend applying? and does the Wax need time to cure like the sealant?

Thanks a bunch for the replies, trying to get this done by Sunday. Will post pics once it's done.
    You *CAN* with Opti-Seal, you just have to wait 8-12 hours between coats. Dubbin1 doesn't recommend layering for whatever his reasons are. And to a point, he's right. There is a diminishing return beyond "X" layers. I don't know what "X" is with Opti-Seal, but for Zaino I found it to be 5 or 6 which could be done in 2 days time. With Opti-Seal (or any other sealant really) that'll take you a week to do while waiting for things to cure.

Some waxes can be layered and yes they need time to cure too, but to be honest enough of them have enough solvent to keep the actual Carnauba wax pliable that it removes most of the layer before hand. I can't tell you for certain with Natty's Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    You *CAN* with Opti-Seal, you just have to wait 8-12 hours between coats. Dubbin1 doesn't recommend layering for whatever his reasons are. And to a point, he's right. There is a diminishing return beyond "X" layers. I don't know what "X" is with Opti-Seal, but for Zaino I found it to be 5 or 6 which could be done in 2 days time. With Opti-Seal (or any other sealant really) that'll take you a week to do while waiting for things to cure.

Some waxes can be layered and yes they need time to cure too, but to be honest enough of them have enough solvent to keep the actual Carnauba wax pliable that it removes most of the layer before hand. I can't tell you for certain with Natty's Blue.
    So would 2 coat of Optiseal with 2 coats of Natty's Blue Wax be a good process? I have the time currently so I wouldn't mind waiting for them to cure.

I would think that like Zaino you could apply multiple coats for extra protection, just hoping 2 coats is enough. I understand you don't know the "X" value but I would imagine that 2 would be a good compromise. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

So would 2 coat of Optiseal with 2 coats of Natty's Blue Wax be a good process? I have the time currently so I wouldn't mind waiting for them to cure.

I would think that like Zaino you could apply multiple coats for extra protection, just hoping 2 coats is enough. I understand you don't know the "X" value but I would imagine that 2 would be a good compromise. Any thoughts?
    It's probably a good place to start. Post your results as you make progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Since time is not important to you...why not 1 coat OS and the next day a coat of NB.
    Then apply 1 coat NB every month to 6 weeks. If your like a lot of us, you'll get tired of the look or want more pop, so you'll strip it and try something else. So many choices and combinations out there.