autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike is this taking too much!??!

Neglected paint (white highlander) . I'm a newbie first timer with a DA and is taking me 6 hours just to do like 3 panels and this job will take me up to a week when i see people here posting 6 hour for full DETAIL JOB! :S

Maybe I'm doing something wrong... First is the fact that I can't see my dimishing returns on the product since its white paint so i gotta be careful...

for example if i were to use M105/M205 , I do 5-6 Section passes with M105 AND m205, am I right?? do I need to do slow section passes at 5-6 with the m205 as I keep going down in the product harshness??

other example like the wolfgang twins 3.0 I can do say 5-6 passes of the swirl remover 3.0... do I need to do 5-6 section passes of the finishing glaze too or is that wrong??

thanks mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike is this taking too much!??!

My first time took me a long time as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The more you do the more you'll learn how to become efficient. As long as you're getting the desired result I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    My first time took me a long time as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The more you do the more you'll learn how to become efficient. As long as you're getting the desired result I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Yea what about my question, is it a requirement to do 5-6 section passes as you keep going down on agressiveness for a glossy finish??

Post Thanks / Like

I was only able to get 2-3 passes with M105 before it dried out on me. Easily 6-8 with M205 though. My suggestion would be do 2-3 passes, turn off the DA look closely at the paint for dust and resume if you don't see any. More than likely you will though, so it'll be time to wipe off the M105, inspect your results and reapply M105 to your pad. You are doing the entire car first with M105 THEN switching pads and doing M205 right, and not going back and forth between each panel? It took me 12-15 hours to do my Dodge Ram 1500 the first time. That included wash, blow dry, clay, M105, IPA wipedown, M205, IPA wipedown, M21 (sealant), Natty's Blue after the 12 hour cure time on M21. Like mcpp66 said, if you're getting the desired results, don't worry about time. We all started out slow, except for Mike who was born polishing the doctor's delivery tools just hours after he was born.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jayhkr View Post
    I was only able to get 2-3 passes with M105 before it dried out on me. Easily 6-8 with M205 though. My suggestion would be do 2-3 passes, turn off the DA look closely at the paint for dust and resume if you don't see any. More than likely you will though, so it'll be time to wipe off the M105, inspect your results and reapply M105 to your pad. You are doing the entire car first with M105 THEN switching pads and doing M205 right, and not going back and forth between each panel? It took me 12-15 hours to do my Dodge Ram 1500 the first time. That included wash, blow dry, clay, M105, IPA wipedown, M205, IPA wipedown, M21 (sealant), Natty's Blue after the 12 hour cure time on M21. Like mcpp66 said, if you're getting the desired results, don't worry about time. We all started out slow, except for Mike who was born polishing the doctor's delivery tools just hours after he was born.
    Yep , but I was doing it the incorrect way... I was doing 1 panel every step including LSP and then moving to the next since Im not in a garage . If I were to do it like you said entire car M105 and I cant finish it, how do i continue the job the next time, i need to wash again dry and continue on next step??

What is the IPA?? do I need to do that procedure too??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rauljimenez View Post
    Yea what about my question, is it a requirement to do 5-6 section passes as you keep going down on agressiveness for a glossy finish??
    I never used 105 so I can't speak to that. I used Meg's UC on a white pad, followed by 205 on a white pad, and finally 85rd on a gray pad. I used my PC 7424XP.

IPA is isopropyl alcohol and it's used to remove polish residue so you can see the true result of your work. Some choose to dilute it so it doesn't evaporate so quickly while others don't. Try different methods and stick with what works best for you and your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    I never used 105 so I can't speak to that. I used Meg's UC on a white pad, followed by 205 on a white pad, and finally 85rd on a gray pad. I used my PC 7424XP.

IPA is isopropyl alcohol and it's used to remove polish residue so you can see the true result of your work. Some choose to dilute it so it doesn't evaporate so quickly while others don't. Try different methods and stick with what works best for you and your paint.

I see so IPA basically removes any polish illusion because the oils they contain might hide those swirls, nice something new I learned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rauljimenez View Post
    Yep , but I was doing it the incorrect way... I was doing 1 panel every step including LSP and then moving to the next since Im not in a garage . If I were to do it like you said entire car M105 and I cant finish it, how do i continue the job the next time, i need to wash again dry and continue on next step??

What is the IPA?? do I need to do that procedure too??
    What I like to do when I have 2 days off in a row is start around 7am on Day 1 and clean the tires, wheels, wheel wells, dress the tires, wash, dry (clay if needed), clean the windows, clean interior with shop vac. Day 2 I again start at 7am and depending on how dusty the truck got overnight I'll either spray it down with QD if it's a super light dusting or rinse it off with water if there is a visible layer of dust. After that I start with M105 and go around the entire truck. I'll spray a MF towel with IPA and really soak it as well as spray the paint with IPA and make sure any left over residue is gone. Rinse and repeat with M205 and IPA. After that it's all down hill with my wax of choice. I usually choose Natty's Blue wax and will wax 2 panels at a time before I buff off. I'm usually done around 5pm or so, depending on how many breaks I take and how many issues I have to correct. So in two days I will spend about 16-20 hours. This is of course if I have to clay which does take quite a bit of time if I don't clay then it's between 15-18 hours. Not every time you do corrective paint work will it take you this long too. The first time you do a full correction it will because you are correcting more defects. Unless you are only doing this once a year, you're other correction sessions will be much less as you usually can start with M205 which will save you a minimum 3 hours right there. Take this and add in that you won't be claying you just saved about 4-5 hours. Every session I learn another trick that takes just a little more time off my session however it is still a long process to do it correctly so don't think you can do it in a morning. I'm trying to get everything down to one day so I have a bit more practice.

Post Thanks / Like

On the bright side, if you wash properly and keep your vehicle properly protected, you shouldn't have to correct anything for a while. Once you do a full correction, it will take no time at all to touch it up. If you have work done at your dealer make sure you get the point across to them........ DO NOT WASH MY CAR!! Lol. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jayhkr View Post
    What I like to do when I have 2 days off in a row is start around 7am on Day 1 and clean the tires, wheels, wheel wells, dress the tires, wash, dry (clay if needed), clean the windows, clean interior with shop vac. Day 2 I again start at 7am and depending on how dusty the truck got overnight I'll either spray it down with QD if it's a super light dusting or rinse it off with water if there is a visible layer of dust. After that I start with M105 and go around the entire truck. I'll spray a MF towel with IPA and really soak it as well as spray the paint with IPA and make sure any left over residue is gone. Rinse and repeat with M205 and IPA. After that it's all down hill with my wax of choice. I usually choose Natty's Blue wax and will wax 2 panels at a time before I buff off. I'm usually done around 5pm or so, depending on how many breaks I take and how many issues I have to correct. So in two days I will spend about 16-20 hours. This is of course if I have to clay which does take quite a bit of time if I don't clay then it's between 15-18 hours. Not every time you do corrective paint work will it take you this long too. The first time you do a full correction it will because you are correcting more defects. Unless you are only doing this once a year, you're other correction sessions will be much less as you usually can start with M205 which will save you a minimum 3 hours right there. Take this and add in that you won't be claying you just saved about 4-5 hours. Every session I learn another trick that takes just a little more time off my session however it is still a long process to do it correctly so don't think you can do it in a morning. I'm trying to get everything down to one day so I have a bit more practice.

Thanks for such a thoroughh explanation man !!! I'm gonna get this detailing done for lol. Another thing that tends to happen to me is whenever I go outside to detail and since is no garage... the lord sends all clouds with rain into my house lol , I'll post some pics soon too !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast