autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow The "Impossible" Happened: Purchased a Brand New Car... Never researched how to properly care for the paint!

Paging Car Doctor Phillips!

Well, the seemingly impossible happened, and I purchase a brand new 2010 Jeep Patriot with 11 miles on it this week! Throughout all my research and detailing experience, I have never done any intensive reading or practical application of the best methods to care for and maintain a pristine new vehicle's paint (because I have only owned and detailed used vehicles).

So now that we couldn't turn down the invoice pricing and 0% APR - we have a bright Sunburst Orange Patriot sitting in the driveway! We searched far and wide for a dealer with that exact paint color, because it is gorgeous and similar to the Lamborghini Competition Orange colors that is also seen on the Corvette Z's.

My questions are...
    1. Due to work load and other responsibilities, after owning the car for a few days, believe it or not I have not had a chance to wash it (GASP!) However I have spray-detailed it twice with brand new first-use microfibers and VERY liberal QD misting to avoid any scratching. So my first question is... with factory fresh pain that only has a few miles on it, what would the best process/products be to perform as soon as I have time to create a good health basis for the longevity of the paint health and vibrancy?

2. Since we do not have access to a garage... the Patriot will be parked in the sun, susceptible to the elements 24 hours a day into the foreseeable future (although I should mention there are NO TREES or possibility of sap, tar) what process/products should I perform to ensure the vehicle is shielded as much as possible from any contaminants and UV light damage?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The "Impossible" Happened: Purchased a Brand New Car... Never researched how to properly care for the paint!

PS: They tried to upsell me on Xzilion paint sealant - HAHAHAHAHA!!!! CLASSIC! "Air Force One uses it..." bla bla bla. OVER $600 TO HAVE THIS 'MAGICAL' sealant applied - unreal!

I see how you feel about it Mike... basically just take care of the car and regularly wax and maintain Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online - View Single Post - Snake Oil???
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The "Impossible" Happened: Purchased a Brand New Car... Never researched how to properly care for the paint!

I'm not the "know all" by any stretch of imagination.. but your car sounds like a good candidate for some klasse.. topped with soverign... more experienced will definitely chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steed76 View Post
    I'm not the "know all" by any stretch of imagination.. but your car sounds like a good candidate for some klasse.. topped with soverign... more experienced will definitely chime in.
    Thanks so much for the suggestion! I was thinking the same thing, a nice sealant (cure for 36 hours, right?) topped with a lustrous carnauba or Souveran.

I have some Pinnacle Souveran (Finally Liquid Souveran Wax achieves the Pinnacle of Perfection. Liquid Souveran Carnauba Wax has the ease of a liquid wax with the protection and) that a fellow forum member traded to me a couple years ago; it has been kept out of the sun - it should still be just as effective as new right? Also, would the liquid or paste be the best choice?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think your suppose to seal or wax the paint until 30,60 or 90 days..

Post Thanks / Like

Congratualtions!!! I am very happy for you.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    Ahhh, good point! I forgot about this... I'm not sure when the actual manufacturing date was or how long it was on the lot, so with that information I should be able to make a well informed decision. Would any of my paperwork disclose the date my car was manufactured and assembled/painted?
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Congratualtions!!! I am very happy for you.
    Thanks! I have been driving the same 1990's piece of you-know-what that has had more problems than I can recall from memory - so it was definitely a necessary purchase
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    This only applies to a repaint. The factory finish is good to go becasue its baked on much different than a paint job from a body shop. Very good catch though

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    Ahhh, good point! I forgot about this... I'm not sure when the actual manufacturing date was or how long it was on the lot, so with that information I should be able to make a well informed decision. Would any of my paperwork disclose the date my car was manufactured and assembled/painted?
    It should probably be somewhere in the door like where your tire pressure chart is
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets @Poorboy'sWorld View Post
    This only applies to a repaint. The factory finish is good to go becasue its baked on much different than a paint job from a body shop. Very good catch though

It should probably be somewhere in the door like where your tire pressure chart is
    Thank you SO much! I will look when I get back outside; although the manf. date doesn't matter now, since like you said these finishes are baked on. Why don't body shops bake on paint if it is so effective at the factory? Thanks again.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    Thank you SO much! I will look when I get back outside; although the manf. date doesn't matter now, since like you said these finishes are baked on. Why don't body shops bake on paint if it is so effective at the factory? Thanks again.
    Due to the extreme heat it could melt plastics and trim on the vehicle. The shells are painted, baked, then assembled!
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast