autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Product comparisons

Hey Mike, What is your opinion about the quality of OTC products versus "boutique" products. I mean, sometimes we see what we want to see. We buy a $100 tub of wax, we'll think it looks better than the $9.95 a gallon stuff. Logic tells me the boutique stuff uses better quality elements and should be more carefully made, but you know more about the products. What's your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product comparisons

Regarding wax protection, Collinite 845 is the best, long lasting, easy to use final coat protection and for the most part I pay about $12.00 for it.

It's all about what works, not about the price.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Regarding wax protection, Collinite 845 is the best, long lasting, easy to use final coat protection and for the most part I pay about $12.00 for it.

It's all about what works, not about the price.
    The word "works" is an individual decision. It is about what works for **YOU** not someone else. Everyone has different reasons for buying various things: cars, tools, and car care products.

It can be appearance, smell, application, durability, cost, something that everyone else is not using, something someone else told them to use, etc. Detailing can be a business or leisure activity or a combination. Some like to brag about how little they protect (wax, seal) their cars, others like to spend a lot of time pampering their car.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    The word "works" is an individual decision. It is about what works for **YOU** not someone else. Everyone has different reasons for buying various things: cars, tools, and car care products.

It can be appearance, smell, application, durability, cost, something that everyone else is not using, something someone else told them to use, etc. Detailing can be a business or leisure activity or a combination. Some like to brag about how little they protect (wax, seal) their cars, others like to spend a lot of time pampering their car.
    You're correct, it is an individual decision and it does work for **ME**, that's why I'm suggesting it.........

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

There's truth to the saying that you get what you pay for... more costly ingredients, processing that is more complicated or time-consuming increases time to manufacture which increases overhead so there's truth to the idea that it cost more to make a higher quality product than it does to make a mediocre product.

When I build a new engine and even after break-in, I always use a name brand oil in my motor. Some will say it's all the same stuff or that it doesn't matter and everyone is entitled to think what they want and buy the oil they want for their car's engine but for me I stick with a name brand motor oil no matter what. The cost of removing a motor and replacing it over a cheap oil compared to a name brand oil isn't' worth it to me.

I changed the oil in my Drag Boat engine twice a year for 20 years and with a 13 quart Milodon pan that's a lot of oil, not to mention a pain to drain as I had to use a clear plastic tube attached to the oil pan plug and then run out the back of the boat through on of the J-drains. I earned ever dime that paid for that engine and it was important to me to take care of it. When I drained it, it always looked clear and clean and I knew that was the most I could do to practice preventative maintenance without taking anything apart. The cost for changing the oil was nothing compared to cost of rebuilding the motor not to mention the downtime.

Same analogy can be applied to car care products, that is I would rather spend money on a a product with a good reputation for quality than spend less money on something else. Besides my car and whatever surface I'm treating or working on there's also my time and I hate doing jobs twice.

I've also met many people happy withe plain Jane products, but usually they are people that have found a product they like and are using it often. A regular maintenance program for any surface tied to how often the vehicle is used or how it's used is just as important as the brand of product you use.

Find a product you like and practice regular maintenance and you'll get the best and most use out of your time and investments.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a problem with perceived quality when the manufacturer spends more for the advertising and bottle art then whats in there ... with boutique your often paying for ingredients first which "I hope" offers a better final product.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I have a problem with perceived quality when the manufacturer spends more for the advertising and bottle art then whats in there ... with boutique your often paying for ingredients first which "I hope" offers a better final product.
    Ditto.

Like the waxes that are worth $50 in a $300 container. I could care less if it looks like crap and just has black and white text...as long as it works.

However, I am YET to find a product OTC that works better than the comparable products I've found on Autogeek, or other premium detailing websites. (Unless they are both available OTC and at Autogeek).

I think people all have their own reasons for choosing what they want, as stated above. I choose products based on effectiveness, durability, value, and smell, in that order. Packaging/looks has absolutely nothing to do with my personal choices.
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver