autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tough situation-can this be fixed?

So I bought this VW used a couple weeks ago. I like most of what it had to offer with the exception of the carbon fiber and a large decal representing APR (a well known Audi/VW performance company). The decal was a nice piece of work but I prefer the clean look. I wasn't sure how to get it off but had a couple ideas (heat gun, elbow grease etc). Last week Robbieboats and I were able to just start peeling it off pretty easily and we continued on until it was completely removed. We clean and clayed the surface but were left with a significant issue around the edges. Inspecting it closer seems to be an issue with either the OEM clearcoat OR perhaps this decal had some sort of clear sprayed over it. Some spots looked better after really clearing the edge of residue but other areas just look like a disaster, needing resprayed, sanded? Also in some areas the paint that did not have any decal covering has a slight bit more visible orange peel than where the decal was.

I'm looking for some advice. Can I sand JUST the edges to try and blend the edges?I've got 1000-2500 paper and all the products just wonder if it's worth it.

pics:

she's still purty though!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tough situation-can this be fixed?

It is normal to spray clear coat on decals for two reasons, protection (protects it from peeling off the edges) and gloss.

It's hard to judge the state of the edges on the pictures, but looks like the edges are embossed. Run your fingers through the edges, if it feels like the edges are a highspot, i'd try sanding it down with 2000 then 2500 then wool; if it feels like a lowspot, i would just try a wool.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Sanding was best guess as well for at least a temp fix. The worse areas are actually like a layer. Where the decal WAS is one layer removed and where no decalthe edge bumps up as you cross the edge. Once polished, both areas look to be darn close in terms of gloss and there must be clear still remaining in all areas because I'm not getting any color transfer on the buffing pad.

Mike Phillips

That looks like a deep scratch? I must not be seeing it correctly?

So it's kind of like an imprint and some kind of swelling too?

What happens if you just rub a small area with your finger and a compound, can you improve the defect a little with a little rubbing?

Post Thanks / Like

I would try wet sand with the 2500 grit with a block for the flatness and then polish. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

yeah it definitely looks like someone put clear over the decal. That's why I strongly disagree with putting decals on paint. I would sand it the compound it. if that doesn't work you will need another clear coat at the least.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike - It does get a little better in some areas with just a fingernail etc but it's worse in some areas.

thanks everyone for the input. I think the sanding is the way to go. Sand just along the edge of where the decal was, and then compound/polish the entire panel. Hopefully it'll all blend in and not be too noticeable.