autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Emblems??? and detailing mystic paint!!

First off I would like to get some advise on how to remove the side emblems on my car without hurting the paint underneath? Theyre attached with double sided tape and im getting new ones as these are old so I dont care about the emblems themselves, just the paint.

Second, My paint is making it difficult to see any imperfections like the swirls or hazing. I know is there but the work light is bright and is making the paint shift damatically, making it hard to see if its done or not. I can see the swirls in the sun but i cant detail in direct sunlight.Any ideas?

Also I'm using 105, 205, 85rd. Most of the paint is just light swirls so it doesnt really need 105 on an orange pad. So would yall step the 105 down to a white pad, then 205 on a white, or not use the 105 at all and go with 205 on an orange then 205 on white? Either way its followed up with 85rd on a gray pad. Or maybe even 205 orange and 85rd white??
    Im kinda lost here??

I only needed 105 on a couple of spots, I took a couple before after pics. It didnt get rid of it totally but alot better than it was.....

Before:
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...0_2008/166.jpg

After:
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...0_2008/181.jpg
    1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Emblems??? and detailing mystic paint!!

PM sent on the emblem removal tools
    John
    Mean people suck

Mike Phillips

M205 is a very light cleaner/polish, it's probably not going to remove scratches as deep in your before photo but you can try?

One thing for sure, if a little buffing removes a little bit of the defects than a lot of buffing with the same product and pad will remove more and more of the defects, so it's kind of up to you as to how much time you want to invest.

You can use M105 with polishing pads and I even think I've seen a picture of Mike Pennington using UC with a finishing pad.

SMAT product offer a lot of options just by changing your pad type, pressure and buffing time or buffing cycle.

Before

After

Also, in your post you have the correct URL Address for your pictures, you just need to click on this little button and copy and paste the URL Address into the dialog box to make them show up instead of the URL.

Insert Image Button -->

Mike Phillips

This thread has links to a bunch of article on working with images

How-to work with pictures on discussion forums

Including this specific one that shows you how to insert a picture if you have an URL Address for the picture...

How to insert an image from your photo gallery into your message

Post Thanks / Like

I used a hair dryer to heat up and soften the adhesives on the emblem and then used dental floss to saw through it. It works surprisingly well and it did not damage the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by termigator View Post
    I used a hair dryer to heat up and soften the adhesives on the emblem and then used dental floss to saw through it. It works surprisingly well and it did not damage the paint.
    That's some great advice the dental floss works great.I actually have some special tools for removing interior parts and emblems without scratching the finish it's called a bone tool made of hard plastic and has a pointed end.Volvo recommends this tool and that's what we use in my shop.Also use some 3M adhesive removal to remove the left over tape.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Easy, effective and cheap. Like Harley guy, I've also used 3M adhesive remover for the left over residue.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had a flex fuel decal removed by an autobody shop and they left 3 little chips in the paint!
    I should have done it myself.
    I have been told to use some monofilament fishing line like 20 pound test and just get it underneath the decal and saw back and forth with the fishing line. Then you need some glue cleaner to get the glue off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    I just had a flex fuel decal removed by an autobody shop and they left 3 little chips in the paint!
    I should have done it myself.
    I have been told to use some monofilament fishing line like 20 pound test and just get it underneath the decal and saw back and forth with the fishing line. Then you need some glue cleaner to get the glue off the paint.
    I've thought about the fishing line bit too, especially when the the floss broke while I was doing it. I'm thinking braided fishing line might work better. It's thinner, stronger and I think it would have more of a sawing effect as opposed to the slickness of mono.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure either would work just fine.

I've thought about the fishing line bit too, especially when the the floss broke while I was doing it. I'm thinking braided fishing line might work better. It's thinner, stronger and I think it would have more of a sawing effect as opposed to the slickness of mono.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast