autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question For Mike - Principles of Machine Polishing DVD

Hey Mike,

I was just wondering, is your new DVD worth purchasing?

DVD: Mike Phillips' Principles of Machine Polishing

Stupid question, I know - any video with Mike Phillips in it is most definitely worth a look-see, right?

• What I mean is, how extensive is this video?
    • How long is it?
    • How much deeper in detail does it go than your video on polishing with the PC for Show Car Garage?
    • Can you provide me with some more info on your DVD?

The product description just doesn't say much. Also, how different is it from your previous DVD, How to Use the PC?

Thanks very much!

Shane
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For Mike - Principles of Machine Polishing DVD

If I remember correctly, the original How to use a PC video is a couple hours long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    If I remember correctly, the original How to use a PC video is a couple hours long.
    That was a GREAT DVD. I believe it also covered polishing by hand.
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post

Hey Mike,

I was just wondering, is your new DVD worth purchasing?

DVD: Mike Phillips' Principles of Machine Polishing

If you're new to machine polishing and cannot get to a hands-on training class like we teach here then learning the techniques taught in this video will help a person to get great results the first time and every time.

I've been answering questions about how to use a DA Polisher for years now, this would include the Porter Cable versions, the Meguiar's versions and now the Griot's versions, and everything a person needs to know to remove swirls and create a finish that will look as good or better than a new car is demonstrated in the first section of this DVD.

The second section shows how to use the Cyclo Polisher to remove swirls, so if someone is new to using a Cyclo polisher it will help them to use the tool correctly to remove swirls and create a finish that will look as good as new or better than when their car was new.

Stupid question,
    It's a great question!

What I mean is, how extensive is this video?
    It goes over how to use ANY DA Polisher to remove swirls and scratches, how to polish the paint to a high gloss after removing the swirls and scratches, and then how to machine-apply a liquid wax.

It's not as extensive as the first DVD I made because all I show is how to work one section on the hood of a car.

Most people reading this know what a Test Spot is but many don't. I've been preaching and teaching to people to always do a Test Spot to their car BEFORE buffing out the entire car.

The idea being to make sure your,

• Products of choice
    • Pads of choice
    • Tool of choice
    • Your personal skill, ability and technique

Will all work together when you buff on the paint to make one section look GREAT!

If the section you buff does look great then simply repeat the process over the rest of the car.

If you can't make one little section look good then you'll be glad you ONLY buffed one small section!

See the common sense involved here?

If you can't make one section look good you STOP and re-evaluate your process, make some adjustments and then try again.

The idea is to dial-in a system that works to just one small area before buffing out the entire car so you insure the entire car will great by testing first.

So the PC/Meguiar's/Griot's portion of the DVD teaches you how to correctly "move" the polisher over the paint to remove swirls and scratches and it's also how to do a TEST SPOT because that's the first thing a person should do when buffing out any car.

No here's the kicker...

When using a DA Polisher like the PC/Meguiar's/Griot's, to remove swirls, you only work small sections at a time. So in the DVD I show how to do a Test Spot, which is a small section, and then I explain in the DVD that doing the rest of the car is simply repeating the test spot, or repeating doing a small section over the rest of the car.

You can't tackle an entire hood or even half a hood at one time with a DA Polisher, you have to slice each panel up into smaller sections, I explain this in the DVD.

Anyone that is new to machine polishing that thinks they can buff out half a hood because their arms are long enough to reach and cover and move a polisher over a large area is just going to find the swirls remain after they wipe off the residue.

You have to work small sections at a time. So I explain this in the DVD

A person can go out to their garage and practice and experiment on their own and eventually figure out how to correctly use a DA Polisher to remove swirls and create a show car finish or watch the DVD and reduce their learning curve to just about zero and get great results the first time and every time.

Just to note...

Doing a Test Spot isn't just for a Newbie, I do a Test Spot every time I work on a car, which is to say, every time I work on a PAINT JOB that I've never worked on before.

Question: How would I know how a paint system is going to react to XYZ Polish and ABC buffing pads and the ACME Polisher until I've actually buffed on the paint and did some testing?

Answer: I won't know until I bring the face of the buffing pad down on the paint and actually doing some buffing and then wipe off the residue and inspect the results.

Now if I've buffed the same car before, and that means the first time I buffed it I did a Test Spot and found out what combination of pads, products, machine and techniques worked, then I don't have to test again if I'm using all the same products.

So that's what the DVD shows, it teaches you how to use the tool and at the same time teaches you how to do a Test Spot which is also teaching you how to buff out the entire car.

How long is it?
    I forget, less than an hour but longer than 30 minutes... I can check...

How much deeper in detail does it go than your video on polishing with the PC for Show Car Garage?
    It goes into great detail on how to actually use the DA Polisher, that is how it works and how to use it and using it means how to move it with your hands, (unless you know of another way to use the tool?).

The "How to get show car results using a PC" DVD doesn't go over the DA Polisher as well but it does go over how to buff out an entire car pretty well.

I actually don't know of another DVD that shows how to detail a car, and by this I mean buff out the paint on an entire car including removing swirls and creating a show car finish, from start to beginning.

Most, if not all DVD's on this topic just have a guy buffing on the hood of a car. You are given the impression that the DVD or Video is about buffing out an entire car but no entire car is ever seen getting completely buffed out by machine.

Plus in the 1960 Corvette DVD I go over a lot of real Anal Retentive tips that I actually do when I buff out any car.

Some people complain in the 1960 Corvette DVD that I repeat myself too much and it's too long. Fact is my teaching style is I repeat key thoughts over and over again to drive them into a person's brain so they won't make any mistakes and will do the job right the first time. Sorry.

Can you provide me with some more info on your DVD? The product description just doesn't say much. Also, how different is it from your previous DVD, How to Use the PC?
    Read the above, I think I covered everything, if not someone will let me know by replying to this thread with a follow-up question.

Thanks very much!

Shane
    I hope I answered your questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    No here's the kicker...

When using a DA Polisher like the PC/Meguiar's/Griot's, to remove swirls, you only work small sections at a time. So in the DVD I show how to do a Test Spot, which is a small section, and then I explain in the DVD that doing the rest of the car is simply repeating the test spot, or repeating doing a small section over the rest of the car.

You can't tackle an entire hood or even half a hood at one time with a DA Polisher, you have to slice each panel up into smaller sections, I explain this in the DVD.

Anyone that is new to machine polishing that thinks they can buff out half a hood because their arms are long enough to reach and cover and move a polisher over a large area is just going to find the swirls remain after they wipe off the residue.

You have to work small sections at a time. So I explain this in the DVD

The "How to get show car results using a PC" DVD doesn't go over the DA Polisher as well but it does go over how to buff out an entire car pretty well.

I actually don't know of another DVD that shows how to detail a car, and by this I mean buff out the paint on an entire car including removing swirls and creating a show car finish, from start to beginning.

Most, if not all DVD's on this topic just have a guy buffing on the hood of a car. You are given the impression that the DVD or Video is about buffing out an entire car but no entire car is ever seen getting completely buffed out by machine.

Plus in the 1960 Corvette DVD I go over a lot of real Anal Retentive tips that I actually do when I buff out any car.

Some people complain in the 1960 Corvette DVD that I repeat myself too much and it's too long. Fact is my teaching style is I repeat key thoughts over and over again to drive them into a person's brain so they won't make any mistakes and will do the job right the first time. Sorry.

OK, so with this in mind, is one DVD worth having over the other? If I could only get one, which one would give me the most benefit? I have not seen the first DVD. Also, are you using new products/tools/processes in the new DVD as opposed to the old one? What kinds of products/tools/processes are used in each DVD (i.e. using M80 in the first video, M105 in the second video, swirl finders used, and so on and so forth).
    Shane

Mike Phillips

OK, so with this in mind, is one DVD worth having over the other?
    The new one does a much better job of teaching a person the correct way to use any DA Polisher to remove swirls, polish and apply a liquid wax or paint sealant.

New DVD shows you how to do a Test Spot

The new DVD explains how to buff out an entire car by duplicating the test spot section by section over the car.

If I could only get one, which one would give me the most benefit?
    If you want to learn how to use a DA Polisher, the new DVD

If you want to see how I approach buffing out a car with a DA Polisher then the old one.

I have not seen the first DVD.
    It's still available. We don't carry it though.

Also, are you using new products/tools/processes in the new DVD as opposed to the old one?
    Everything in the new DVD is new, i.e. pads, products tools.

The BIGGER picture is the techniques shown work with ANY DA style polisher, any pad, any machine applied compound, polish, glazes, wax or sealant. It's technique that's important.

The old DVD shows using M80 on a black lacquer single stage paint. A lot of people commented that they own a car with a clear coat and the 1960 Corvette had a black lacquer paint job, but it really doesn't matter because you use the same technique with the tool, pads and chemicals regardless of they type of paint. We chose the 1960 Corvette not because it has single stage black paint, but because it was a cool, black car with really bad swirls.

What kinds of products/tools/processes are used in each DVD (i.e. using M80 in the first video, M105 in the second video, swirl finders used, and so on and so forth).

Again, it really doesn't matter because you would use the same technique with any product designed to be used with a DA Polisher, that includes pads and chemicals.

The new DVD shows using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Finishing Glaze and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with 6.5" CCS Pads, Orange Light Cutting, White Polishing and Red Waxing pads.

The old DVD shows using M80 Speed Glaze, W8006 and W9006 pads, NXT Tech Wax, M07 Show Car Glaze, NXT Spray Wax. The last to product were bonus footage that caused a lot of confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, gotcha. Looks like I'll be getting the new DVD next time I place an order!
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I'll be getting the new DVD next time I place an order!
    FYI - The New DVD is this weeks current VIP Special.
    Brian