autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand new truck...what do I use?

First let me say hello to everyone. I've lurked here for a while and have bought from AG on a few occassions, including the Porter Cable polisher. I am more of a hobbyist than a pro. I detail more boats than vehicles, but the gelcoat on boats is probably more sturdy than the paint finish on vehicles. My question is...I just bought a new F-150 crew cab, tuxedo black in color yesterday. Today I washed it after driving about 175 miles. I noticed that even after drying it that I had some very fine water spots on the paint and chrome, not bad, but still........I broke out some Colonite Insulator wax (use this on my boat interior) and hand waxed the hood and grill. The spots were still there and when I removed the wax the hood looked cloudy. When I rub my hand accross it it doesn't have that perfectly smooth feel. I plan on claying it tomorrow after that what should I use on it to remove the faint spots? Also what should I put on it afterwards? Keep in mind this is a new vehicle so I don't want to use anything harsher than I have to. Thanks in advance for any advise and I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand new truck...what do I use?

Quote Originally Posted by High Bidder View Post
    First let me say hello to everyone. I've lurked here for a while and have bought from AG on a few occassions, including the Porter Cable polisher. I am more of a hobbyist than a pro. I detail more boats than vehicles, but the gelcoat on boats is probably more sturdy than the paint finish on vehicles. My question is...I just bought a new F-150 crew cab, tuxedo black in color yesterday. Today I washed it after driving about 175 miles. I noticed that even after drying it that I had some very fine water spots on the paint and chrome, not bad, but still........I broke out some Colonite Insulator wax (use this on my boat interior) and hand waxed the hood and grill. The spots were still there and when I removed the wax the hood looked cloudy. When I rub my hand accross it it doesn't have that perfectly smooth feel. I plan on claying it tomorrow after that what should I use on it to remove the faint spots? Also what should I put on it afterwards? Keep in mind this is a new vehicle so I don't want to use anything harsher than I have to. Thanks in advance for any advise and I'll post pics when I get a chance.
    Ford are notorious for those spots on chrome.
    I recently worked on a relatively brand new Ford Truck belonging to Avalanche rookie star Matt Duchene.

Anyway, I don't know what you have, but some good metal polish should work.
    I used Dodo Juice Need For Speed Wax Cleaner with my PC and a white pad, and then applied sealant.
    If you don't have a mild polish , then some cleaner wax should work...
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Mike Phillips

Hi High Bidder,

Like Z06-Goose alluded to, you need either a cleaner/wax or some type of paint polishing product to remove the water spots on the paint, there are two types of water Spots,

• Type I - Mineral Deposits "on" the surface
    • Type II - Etching "in" the paint

It sounds like you have Type II and if so you'll need to compound or polish the paint, if they're light or shallow, then a light cutting product should easily and then you can apply a wax over it.

If you're using a PC then a light cutting pad or polishing pad may do the trick and a product like Wolfgang Total Swirl Mark Remover, SwirlX, Menzerna SIP, etc.

For the chrome, is this chrome plating over metal or plastic chrome?

Since this is your first post,

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Here's some brand new videos you might want to check out, on is on claying, a couple are on using the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher and a couple are on applying waxes and paint sealants.

How to Remove Swirls and Scratches using the Porter Cable 7424XP

How to do a Section Pass using a Dual Action Polisher - Key to Removing Swirls

How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

How to Apply a Synthetic Paint Sealant by Hand using the Straightline Technique

How to Apply a Carnauba Finishing Wax by Hand using the Straightline Technique

How to clean and protect a fabric convertible top using RaggTopp

How the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer Works and how to use one to clean foam buffing pads

The difference between a Normal Car Wash, a Waterless Car Wash and a Rinseless Car Wash and how to use a Rinseless Car Wash

How to use the Cyclo Polisher to Remove Swirls

Post Thanks / Like

What's good to use on plastic chrome to clean, polish, and protect?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    What's good to use on plastic chrome to clean, polish, and protect?
    Usually something non-abrasive as the chrome coating can be easily scratched.

A non-abrasive cleaner/wax will usually work, like Klasse AIO or Meguiar's ColorX

MOST IMPORTANT

Test first in an inconspicuous area and make sure both the chemical you're sing AND your application material are not inflicting swirls or scratches or you'll be sorry.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. Sound like I'll be ordering some of the swirl remover.