autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Universal Pad Washer

I used mine for the first time this past week and found that it splashes water everywhere (not much of a surprise). What worries me about this is that it will damage my DA. I've read the instructions and watched the video so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Any thoughts or suggestions? Are the PC and Flex waterproof to a degree?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Universal Pad Washer

Could be you have too much water in the bucket, or your DA is not on setting 1

Mike Phillips

Something is wrong in your technique...

Watch this video and see how I use the PC 7424XP

How-To Use The Grit Guard Universal Pad Washerwasher

Pay attention to the part where I show how much water to put into the bucket

A little water will squirt up but it shouldn't be spraying water everywhere, you don't run the polisher very fast.

Which polisher are you using?
    (Jog my memory)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, it looks like I was filling it too high. After watching this video I re-read the book and I missed the part where it said "with the springs fully compressed". I'm glad I posted this (even though I feel silly now) because I was quite disappointed with this purchase. I'm sure I'll be pleased after I use it right.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    Thanks Mike, it looks like I was filling it too high. After watching this video I re-read the book and I missed the part where it said "with the springs fully compressed". I'm glad I posted this (even though I feel silly now) because I was quite disappointed with this purchase. I'm sure I'll be pleased after I use it right.
    Hey don't feel bad, shortly after Doug Lamb invented this thing he sent me a beta version and like most "guys", I didn't feel the need to read the instructions and put too much water in mine the first time.

Then, after getting frustrated I went and dug the instruction out of the round filing cabinet and read them and then it worked as promised.

In the video I state what the manufacture recommends which is up to a 1/2" of water but that's really too much for foam pads, keep it down to about a 1/4" of water for foam and up to 1/2" for large wool pads like these babies...

Also, on a heavy pad cleaning day you'll want to add a little water from time to time...

Not much, just enough to cover the Grit Guard Insert after you compress the spring loaded water cups.

Then get back to this...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man. I was about to never use it again because I was very worried about how much water was kicking up to my PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you asked, now you know. BTW, happened to me, that's how I know :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Then, after getting frustrated I went and dug the instruction out of the round filing cabinet and read them and then it worked as promised.

In the video I state what the manufacture recommends which is up to a 1/2" of water but that's really too much for foam pads, keep it down to about a 1/4" of water for foam and up to 1/2" for large wool pads like these babies...

I remember at Mobil-Tech you were real specific about the water level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    Glad you asked, now you know. BTW, happened to me, that's how I know :-)
    I don't know how but I just totally missed the part that said "with the springs fully compressed". I got lucky.......with as much water flying around my PC I could have really damaged it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    I don't know how but I just totally missed the part that said "with the springs fully compressed". I got lucky.......with as much water flying around my PC I could have really damaged it.
    Same deal here. I've made the same mistake with the water level. Exactly as Mike said, real men don't read directions. LOL!

Keep in mind, that's a power tool going into a bucket of water! I don't want to scare anyone off, the GG Pad Washer is a great system. Just follow the instructions closely and use a GFI plug.
    John Henry