autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Application of Carnuba wax

Received a Griot's buffer for fathers day and having a ball with it. However I have a full jar of P21S and Wolfgangs Fuzion from my last purchase. Can these be used as I do with liquid products with the machine or do they have to be hand applied. For me it's an issue due to back problems and the machine makes it a whole lot easier. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Application of Carnuba wax

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby13 View Post
    Received a Griot's buffer for fathers day and having a ball with it. However I have a full jar of P21S and Wolfgangs Fuzion from my last purchase. Can these be used as I do with liquid products with the machine or do they have to be hand applied. For me it's an issue due to back problems and the machine makes it a whole lot easier. Thanks
    sure just use a soft foam pad on a lower speed. i hear ya with the back problems. when i polish all day long im in pain the next day .. lower back.. stinks gettin old.
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

If you squeeze the side of the tub and tap it lightly.. the wax should slide out of the tub. You can then butter your pad. If you can't get it out, use a plastic butter knife to butter your pad. Remember thin, thin, thin.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Ruby13;342542]Received a Griot's buffer for fathers day and having a ball with it. However I have a full jar of P21S and Wolfgangs Fuzion from my last purchase. Can these be used as I do with liquid products with the machine or do they have to be hand applied. For me it's an issue due to back problems and the machine makes it a whole lot easier. Thanks[/QUOTE

I just tried out the P21S for the first time yesterday on my red vehicle. This was done by hand. I have a chair with rollers on it, that work pretty good getting below the belt on the car. It sure did make it shine. I had used a different carnauba a few weeks back but this P21S has the other beat for shine.
    GaryD

There is a better way to do it than the way you're doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I also just ordered a rolling set which should really help. As for the P21S carnuba I have yet to use another wax with a better shine on my silver boxster. Anxious to try out the Wolfgang Fusion wit the buffer. It smells nice hope it shines just as good.

Burt

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If you squeeze the side of the tub and tap it lightly.. the wax should slide out of the tub. You can then butter your pad.
    The first time you want to remove a paste wax out of a plastic jar what I've found to help allow the wax to come out in a single block of wax is to first slightly heat the outside of the jar with a hair dryer.

This doesn't show getting the wax out of the jar but it does go over applying a paste by machine...

How to Apply Dodo Pastes Waxes by Machine

Post Thanks / Like

I use a flat object - a clean putty knife, or even an old credit card, to "butter" the wax onto the pad - works very well, and it eliminates the risk of contaminating the wax by handling it outside the container.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 3Guy View Post
    I use a flat object - a clean putty knife, or even an old credit card, to "butter" the wax onto the pad - works very well, and it eliminates the risk of contaminating the wax by handling it outside the container.
    Hi 3Guy,

Since this was your first post to our forum...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

A method for getting a paste wax out of the can using some sort of tool that's also really popular is to use the handle of a DA Polisher wrench because it's flat and larger than a butter knife but smaller than a spatula plus if you have a DA Polisher you should have the wrench near by...

You can see the flat blade of the wrench in the picture below from this thread,

3.5" Backing Plates and 4" Spot Repair Pads on DA Polishers

Of course, Mother's hit a home run when they chose to put their California Gold into a large tin... the large size for the tin makes it easy to remove the wax using the "Wax Spinning Technique" shown in at least two of my videos but also makes it super easy to simply place a 5.5" foam finishing pad directly into the tin and then simply 'blip' the on off switch and you're ready to start laying down some wax by machine...

How To Apply Mothers California Gold Carnauba Paste Wax by Machine

After applying Mother's Synwax by machine to the Magnum Project I topped it with Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste Wax and because I like to put the frosting on the cake by machine I used a Lake Country 5.5" Blue Finishing Pad on a Porter Cable 7424XP and simply placed the face of the foam pad into the tin of wax, blipped the on/off button a time or two and wala... ready to go to town...

Mike Phillips

Can these be used as I do with liquid products with the machine or do they have to be hand applied. For me it's an issue due to back problems and the machine makes it a whole lot easier. Thanks

To answer your question directly... "Yes" you can apply both of the above mentioned waxes using your Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher.

Above are a number of methods mentioned as to how to get the wax out of the container and onto the face of your foam buffing pad, choose one that works best for you and then when you go to apply the wax by machine use a soft foam finishing pad and use the 3.0 to 4.0 speed setting.

Personally I like the 4.0 speed setting as a little quicker rotating/oscillating action makes it easier to move the pad over the surface.

Soft foam finishing pads at slow speeds seem a little squishy and can kind of feel like they are dragging behind as you're trying to move the tool forward while applying the wax. Kind of a subtle nuance and maybe it's just me...

The P21S is supposed to dry to a light haze and then be removed, I think the instructions actually say to remove just before it hazes but I could be wrong... either way you want to lay down a thin coat of the P21S as a thick coat that dries will tend to wipe-off like a thick coat of M16 after it dries.

The Wolfgang Fuzion is a WOWO wax, that is you Wipe it On and then Wipe it Off. You also want to apply a thin coating of the Fuzion.