autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question minor damage repair questions (from auto accident)

OK, here's what happened. My mom was driving down a two-lane road in our 1990 Honda Accord. A pickup truck in the opposite lane rear-ended a (probably 90's model) Cadillac, which drifted into her lane and sideswiped her car. She was near a flat area of grass, so she moved into that area. If she hadn't moved, he probably would have come through her driver door and seriously injured if not killed her, since the Cadillac weighed probably twice what her little Accord weighs. Anyway, here's the damage.

Notice the scratches both above and below the plastic molding.

Here's what it looks like from a distance.

So the damage isn't unbearable, but obviously they're not happy about it since it was perfect before:

Taking it to a body shop is pretty much out of the equation, since it would cost over a grand (according to several estimates) and it's not worth it on a 20 year old car that's only worth a few thousand anyway. But they love this car, so I would like to be able to do what I can to repair what I am able to repair. I will be getting the G110v2, M105, and M205, as well as some cutting pads and polishing pads. I have Ultimate Compound, Swirl X, and Scratch X. I also have M04, but I know that won't work for this problem. I've been able to get some marks out with UC. I also have 3M 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and M34 Final Inspection. Any recommendations as to how I should go about this? Any potential problem areas you see? Do the do-it-yourself dent repair kits work at all? This happened back in November, but I've only been a member of AG a short while, which is why I am now posting this. Thanks!
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: minor damage repair questions (from auto accident)

I don't think even PDR will work in this area, but I would check someone local to you to verify that. I would ask around for the best PDR since some of them take on almost no job near a corner, but I have seen PDR done right on the corner of a panel where it joined a taillight. I would try clay + polish to remove any scratches and paint transfer before you start sanding on it. Why isn't the truck who started this mess paying for the damages?
    MDetail (Mike/Michael)
    Canyon Country, CA (Valencia Area)
    MichaelSchoelen.com - Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MDetail View Post
    I don't think even PDR will work in this area, but I would check someone local to you to verify that. I would ask around for the best PDR since some of them take on almost no job near a corner, but I have seen PDR done right on the corner of a panel where it joined a taillight. I would try clay + polish to remove any scratches and paint transfer before you start sanding on it. Why isn't the truck who started this mess paying for the damages?

+1 almost on everything you said. A paintless dent removal guy if they are good can remove almost anything. I forgot the name of the place in Huntington Beach off Beach Blvd. down the street from Sport Chalet (those guys flat out rock)

Post Thanks / Like

M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner uses large chunky diminishing abrasives and would be actually ideal for removing paint transfer. I dont think the dent repair kits will work on this either.

Might have to just live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MDetail View Post
    Why isn't the truck who started this mess paying for the damages?
    He didn't have insurance, and our insurance company can't get a hold of him to go after him.
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    He didn't have insurance, and our insurance company can't get a hold of him to go after him.

Should have gotten the police involved. Do you at least have his license plate number? Maybe a trip to his house with lots of big dudes will resolve this?

2005 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
    aka "Storm Trooper"

"Car waxes and paint sealants are to men like shoes are to women, you can never have too many" - Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbos17 View Post
    Should have gotten the police involved. Do you at least have his license plate number? Maybe a trip to his house with lots of big dudes will resolve this?
    The cops were there after the accident. They have his license plate number and all that. But it gets turned over to the insurance companies to pay the victims and collect from those at fault, and it's our insurance company that can't get a hold of him to collect what they paid us for damages and medical costs and any damages incurred by the driver of the Cadillac. I know they were in the process of revoking his license because he didn't contact the insurance company to try to work something out - he may have just said "Screw the whole thing" and left the state. From what my mom told me he was a huge lowlife, swearing at everybody else and whatnot. So he may have just skipped out. Who knows.
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

The cops were there after the accident. They have his license plate number and all that. But it gets turned over to the insurance companies to pay the victims and collect from those at fault, and it's our insurance company that can't get a hold of him to collect what they paid us for damages and medical costs and any damages incurred by the driver of the Cadillac. I know they were in the process of revoking his license because he didn't contact the insurance company to try to work something out - he may have just said "Screw the whole thing" and left the state. From what my mom told me he was a huge lowlife, swearing at everybody else and whatnot. So he may have just skipped out. Who knows.

Dang that blows big time! I hope everything gets worked out and she get fixed. If by chance you know anyone in law enforcement they should be able track down his address with his license plate #. I am just saying

2005 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
    aka "Storm Trooper"

"Car waxes and paint sealants are to men like shoes are to women, you can never have too many" - Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the car Shane. I've always loved that year body style too and the cars looks to be in great shape.

A PDR guy may be able to message out some of the dent in the lower door, but will not come out 100%. The lip around the wheel well of the 1/4 panel will require pulling at the body shop to straighten.

Buff out what scuffs you can and touch up any areas where the paint may be scraped off.

Rasky
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Don't waste your time or money on attempting PDR. Clean the scuffing up and throw some touch up paint on it and move on.

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes