autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heater for a one-car garage

Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    mcpp66,

I have a two car garage I do a lot of work in. 22x22 The walls are insulated but the door is not. When it's 30 to 40 outside, it's in the 50's inside. I was looking for a propane heater but took a electric heater we got at Costco. It's one of the Parabolic dish types and it will get garage up to the mid 60's to 70 degree's.

This isn't the exact one we have but something like it.

Costco - Presto HeatDish Parabolic Heater Plus Footlight

I also have 1300 watt halogen lights and if I'm polishing I have them on anyway and they put out quite a bit of heat.
    That looks pretty small, it really heats up your two-car garage? Really I don't mind working in the cold, I want to wax the car so I want to get the heat up so that's my motivation. If I can do that and spend as little money as possible that's what I'd like to do.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

my vote would go toward a propane heater. anything that you can attatch to a 20lb propane tank. did a quick google search and you can find them for as little as 30 to 40 dollars. second choice would be a 220v heater that was previously suggested. only downside is i don't know that your 1 car garage will have a 220v plug for you. unfortunately there is no free lunch with a 110v 15-20 amp circuit. the convenience factor of plugging something in is offset by being underpowered. just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    That looks pretty small, it really heats up your two-car garage? Really I don't mind working in the cold, I want to wax the car so I want to get the heat up so that's my motivation. If I can do that and spend as little money as possible that's what I'd like to do.
    I know it does seem small. I was contemplating on what to get and we had that we use in the bathroom some times so I tried it. What I do is turn it on about 10 to 15 minutes before I go out. If I want to start immediately, I usually put on a sweatshirt and whatever.

I then do the things where temp doesn't matter. Then keep an eye on my thermometer and when it gets to 60 degrees I start polishing.

Again, my walls are insulated. Matter of fact I'm going to work out there shortly and turned the heater on about 10 minutes ago.

When I went in the garage to turn the heater on it was 45 outside and 55 inside.

I turned the heater on about 8 minutes ago when I saw this so I ran back down to snap a pix of the thermometer. It was already up to 58 inside and had dropped to 44 outside.

Propane just seems like an expensive proposition compared to electric. I was going that route though until I tried this.

Good thing about a Costco or somewhere is you can try it and return if it doesn't do the trick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heater for a one-car garage-p1000406-jpg   Heater for a one-car garage-p1000407-jpg   Heater for a one-car garage-p1000408-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Heater for a one-car garage

Quote Originally Posted by DLB View Post
    Step 1: BTU Calculator provided by the heater shop .com

Step 2: Find the heater you like.
    Heaters from The heater shop. Online sales of gas and electric space, convection and convection patio heaters.

I just recently bought a propane forced air heater - and it will raise the temp. in my garage very quickly. I am using a 75k-125k BTU adjustable in a 3 bay garage.

For a 1 car garage you could probably get by with a tank top unit like acc1079 said he used.

These are very nice little heaters - as I have used a small one of them as well (a single burner).

DLB
    Just be careful of raising the temp too fast, I once brought my Corvette in from the freezing drive home and got the garage up to around 80 in an hour, with one of the propane heaters pictured above Well the paint and fiberglass contracted at differant rates and I then had crow feet in my new 5,000.00 paint job :-(

Post Thanks / Like

My detailing garage is at my moms house, I'm at my dads right now so I cant take pics. Sorry.
    But I have the circle heat dish the frosty mentioned and it works great. I also have some tall standup heater on wheels that plugs into the wall. Just close the garage door, and give them 30 minutes to heat up. Works just fine!

“You can have everything in life you want, if you just help enough other people get what they want.” -Zig Ziglar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    The Cadet is a nice looking unit that looks like it would do the trick in my 2 car garage. All I want is a comfortable temp to work in, 45 to 55 would be great when it's 25 to 35 outside. I think I'll check this one out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrflake View Post
    The Cadet is a nice looking unit that looks like it would do the trick in my 2 car garage. All I want is a comfortable temp to work in, 45 to 55 would be great when it's 25 to 35 outside. I think I'll check this one out.
    Low is 45F and high is 90F. So if you have it just past low it will keep a constant 50-55F temp.

I have a different model Lowes had. They don't have it anymore. The temp range on mine is 35F to 90F.

Post Thanks / Like

Century at Lowe's: 50,000 BTU Propane Forced Air Heater

50k BTU Forced Air. Im using this exact piece in my single car, great little heater.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post

50k BTU Forced Air. Im using this exact piece in my single car, great little heater.
    Where or how do you aim this unit? Can you aim it up so it will spread to the whole room?
    2006 Honda Ridgeline Nighthawk Black Pearl with the wonderful soft Honda clear....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post

How strong is the forced air? I debated one of those but didn't want dust to blow around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast