autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Thickness: Single Stage vs. Clear coat

Just wondering if clear coat paint jobs are generally thicker since they have a 3rd coat of paint? Or are the base and primer coats of a single stage job thicker than the base and primer coats of today's clear coats?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Thickness: Single Stage vs. Clear coat

Interesting question. My "guess" would be the current paint thickness is less than the older single stage jobs. I'm betting the manufacturers have fine tuned the computer robots to lay down as thin a coat as possible to save profit.

But that's just a guess.

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't a cover all answer.

I have a single stage paint job on my '71 GMC truck - but I had it painted, it isn't a factory job. Now, I know that my painter but down a really thick base primer, then a coat of color matched primer, then 3 coats of the paint itself. So, it is a pretty thick job.

My dad has a 1985 Chevrolet truck with the original single stage paint on it. After 24 years of polishing and waxing, the paint and primer are gone is several spots (mostly the hood). Now the best shine you can put down on that is just give a coat of non-cleaning wax, and let it shine for a couple of weeks. No more oxidation removal, as it would just take valuable paint with it.

The biggest difference in the two is the hardness. Typically, Single Stage paints are pretty soft. Some are VERY soft. The one I had put on my truck was baked on and it is relatively hard. You still lose paint when you polish it, but it doesn't scratch when you rub your hand across it.

Generally, I would take the same stance as VR8 on the "thickness" side of it, as his logic makes sense (they now use as little as possible in the way of materials to save money). However, if some manufacturer used 2 thin coats for SS and 3 thin coats for BC/CC, well, you can do the math.

So, it all just depends.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

it depends from manufacturer and what kind of paints they use, you would have to ask car manufacturer specific.
    for example on honda
    single stage is around 60-70 microns on white honda civic (2002),
    honda accord 2004 black pearl with clear coat is around 130 (thats my average) now i dont have fancy paint gage that tells me each coat thickness so i cant tell you that 60-70 microns is clear coat on top of actual paint. generaly with clear coat paints half of the thickness is clear coat but thats if car was not corrected before

if i had my paint gague when i did SS red ferrari i could have done comparison but i didnt. when we do one again in spring ill take readings of course

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    Just wondering if clear coat paint jobs are generally thicker since they have a 3rd coat of paint? Or are the base and primer coats of a single stage job thicker than the base and primer coats of today's clear coats?
    No easy answer.

When you measure paint thickness you measure total film-build, not just the part you're working on so it's hard to tell how thick the layer is you can work on .

Single stage pants tend to be softer than clear coat paints except for white paint and for this reason you want to always practice,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

You want to practice tis anyways for all paint types. Also keep in mind if you're working on an antique car with original single stage paints, you have no idea how many people have worked on the paint before you let along what they may have used so be extra careful on antique cars with single stage paints.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    No easy answer.

When you measure paint thickness you measure total film-build, not just the part you're working on so it's hard to tell how thick the layer is you can work on .

Single stage pants tend to be softer than clear coat paints except for white paint and for this reason you want to always practice,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

You want to practice tis anyways for all paint types. Also keep in mind if you're working on an antique car with original single stage paints, you have no idea how many people have worked on the paint before you let along what they may have used so be extra careful on antique cars with single stage paints.

for antique cars, work only if you have paint gauge, if you dont, then dont do it at all

did 63 jaguar and it already had paint missing on hood, this gave us idea where to be careful when polishing
    http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...1962%20jaguar/
    Last edited by Misha; 12-21-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your answers guys!