autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which type of wax/sealant for a brand new car?

My car is only 1 1/2 months old. It's a 2010 Camaro SS Red Jeweltint. (primer, 1 black base coat, 2 coats of red jewel and 1 clear coat) I don't think it needs clay, polishing or wax cleaners yet. I just want to add a little protection after a wash. What do you suggest? What brands, wax/sealant type, liquid/paste?
    This is a daily driver and I do keep it parked outside. (not under tree though)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which type of wax/sealant for a brand new car?

Even though it is new, I can guarranty it is swirled up. I have never seen a new car off the lot without them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    Even though it is new, I can guarranty it is swirled up. I have never seen a new car off the lot without them.
    Not really. I even told the dealer not to wash it, because I don't trust there washing technique. I use the double bucket method and all mf mitts and towels.

What is your suggestion Loudog?

Any others out there? I would really appreciate eveyone's opinions and reccomendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang DGPS and top with Fuzuon will look great, I would clay it at least

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend wolfgang's Deep gloss paint sealant(DGPS). For added durability you can top it with a carnuba wax. Sealant are pretty much the same price. Carnuba's have a wide range of products for different prices. What are you willing to spend? A daily driver left outside, ther is no reason to go for a expensive less durable wax.

Examples would be collinite, Dodo juice, wolfgang fuzion and P21 100%. These are all fair prices(fuzion costs more than the others) waxes with good durablility.
    Last edited by loudog2; 10-16-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug1998 View Post
    Wolfgang DGPS and top with Fuzuon will look great, I would clay it at least
    Please explain why you would clay a 1 1/2 month old car? Could there possibly be that many pollutants in the paint already? If I clay, won't I have to polish out swirls from claying?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
    Please explain why you would clay a 1 1/2 month old car? Could there possibly be that many pollutants in the paint already? If I clay, won't I have to polish out swirls from claying?
    You can decide if it needs claying by just feeling the paint. It is very smooth or seems bumpy. Any vehicle can pick up various paint deposits while stored at the plant, in transit via rail or truck, or sitting on the lot. If it feels smooth, then you can skip the clay but it does no harm when done correctly. I do recommend a paint cleaner (non-abrasive product) to get the paint clean prior to waxing or sealing depending on your next products.

Claying does not usually mar paint unless done improperly. Since you seem new at this, do a test clay spot and check carefully for swirls prior to proceding.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

And I've seen PLENTY of swirled up cars straight from the factory and untouched by a dealership. I'd check your paint in the sun for swirls and other defects and make sure it doesn't need a light polish before you protect. I'd personally go with a sealant, rather than a carnauba wax as they offer longer protection and new sealants give a depth and wetness that is close to the same as a carnauba wax. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
    The car can pick up rail dust on the way from the factory to the dealer.
    You won't damage the car with a good gentle clay if done properly. I clayed my car the first time using sonus clay. Recently I tried the DP clay and loved it. You can get it here. Buy some ONR and dillute properly to create clay lube. Spray constanly while claying. Re-fold clay very often. I didn't cause any damage. Even my first time.

DP Universal Detailing Clay 24.99 http://www.autogeek.net/dp720.html
    Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 32 oz. 15.99 http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

prime and seal with the following.
    Ultima Paint Prep Plus & Applicator 21.99 http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-prep-bundle.html
    Ultima Paint Guard Plus 25$ for 4oz. 50$ for 12 oz. (don't see it in the store right now???) weird... Autopia.org has it

I know Ultima looks expensive but it takes VERY little per oz. so it is actually not expensive at all. Very important-Use VERY little just like it says. Even when it seems like you aren't applying any just follow the directions. wait 12 hours and apply another coat of sealant. (easy 15 minute application) wait 12 hours and add 3rd coat (easy 15 minute application) Look at Danase Wet Glaze for placing between 2nd and third coat. Some people add even more coats! I haven't tried the Danase wet glaze yet but from what I here DWG layered between UPGP is the best for red cars! I will be trying it next time I polish and seal my car (in a couple months) For me I am on month 4 of my first Ultima Sealant job and it still looks sealed. Beads like crazy...

Killrwheels will tell you all about Four Star http://www.autogeek.net/four-star-ultimate-paint-protection.html He knows what he is talking about so maybe you follow his advice But definitely look into "Ultima" (not to be confused with "Ultimate")

:dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

If it were my car:
    I would clay with a mild clay and good lube. The DP would be a good choice from what I have read and from CEE DOG's review. The Sonus clay is also very gentle from what I hear. I think the Meg's Smooth Surface kit would be a little to much...it is pretty hard clay and takes LOTS of lube to keep from marring.
    You can always try the "Baggy Test" to see if you need claying. Put your hand (fingertips at least) in a plastic baggy and slide them lightly across the surface to see if you feel anything major. Check horizontal surfaces and lower portions of the car.

After claying, I would use the following products in this order:
    P21s Paint Cleaner
    Wolfgang DGPS 3.0
    Then a GOOD carnuba of your choice to lock in the look. (Can't go wrong with Wolfgang Fuzion that has been mentioned).

This is just my opinion out of many way more experienced ones that post here. But you should look into following this basic setup I think...(Clay, Cleanse, Seal, LSP).

Congrats on the new Camaro.

DLB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast