autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

A few general detailings questions

Hey guys, I have a few general detailing questions. I details my car allll the time and just cant get enough of it. I know what I'm doing but just a few questions.

1. The winter season is near. Washing outside is going to be a pain in the cold. Should I just use warm water like I've normally done or use one of the No Rinse washes?

2. Say my car is fully detailed and prettied up then I go drive around down and gather all the dust and junk from the road. I could go home then go back out with my car having that junk on it. Should I just quick detail my car with a Cobra microfiber with the road junk on it. Like spray the Pinnacle spray directly onto the dust then wipe? Or is that not good because it can cause potential scratching?

3. After it rains what do I do? Wash my car again then have to fully detail it again? I HATE HATE HATEEEE how wax leaves the water beads to just sit on my car then the water evaporate leaving insane water spotting behind. Then I wash my car and some water spots are behind. Do I just use my PInnacle cleansing lotion AGAIN after everytime it rains then rewax?

I hope my questions are understandable. THanks guys

“You can have everything in life you want, if you just help enough other people get what they want.” -Zig Ziglar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A few general detailings questions

Quote Originally Posted by 02blackout View Post
    Hey guys, I have a few general detailing questions. I details my car allll the time and just cant get enough of it. I know what I'm doing but just a few questions.

1. The winter season is near. Washing outside is going to be a pain in the cold. Should I just use warm water like I've normally done or use one of the No Rinse washes?

2. Say my car is fully detailed and prettied up then I go drive around down and gather all the dust and junk from the road. I could go home then go back out with my car having that junk on it. Should I just quick detail my car with a Cobra microfiber with the road junk on it. Like spray the Pinnacle spray directly onto the dust then wipe? Or is that not good because it can cause potential scratching?

3. After it rains what do I do? Wash my car again then have to fully detail it again? I HATE HATE HATEEEE how wax leaves the water beads to just sit on my car then the water evaporate leaving insane water spotting behind. Then I wash my car and some water spots are behind. Do I just use my PInnacle cleansing lotion AGAIN after everytime it rains then rewax?

I hope my questions are understandable. THanks guys
    As far as a QD is concerned I would only used that for light dusting , finger prints, smudges, and when you just want to amp up the gloss a bit. When you refer to road junk that can mean a host of contaminants of unknown origin. You would have to judge on a cases by case basis if a QD is appropriate or not. IMHO I would opt for an ONR wash especially as the weather is starting to turn. As far as rain and water spots are concerned I have found that if I hit it with a QD and my Guzler WWMF I am OK and I don't think that it is necessary to re-wax after every time it rains. In fact I have read scientific laboratory tests that showed the thickness of your wax coating actually diminishes after more than two coats..
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post
    As far as a QD is concerned I would only used that for light dusting , finger prints, smudges, and when you just want to amp up the gloss a bit. When you refer to road junk that can mean a host of contaminants of unknown origin. You would have to judge on a cases by case basis if a QD is appropriate or not. IMHO I would opt for an ONR wash especially as the weather is starting to turn. As far as rain and water spots are concerned I have found that if I hit it with a QD and my Guzler WWMF I am OK and I don't think that it is necessary to re-wax after every time it rains. In fact I have read scientific laboratory tests that showed the thickness of your wax coating actually diminishes after more than two coats..

Post Thanks / Like

The answer to all your queations is to wash the car. I also use warm water when it is cold outside.

Post Thanks / Like

During the winter I always use ONR. I fill the buckets with luke warm tap water from my tub and wash with rubber gloves. Actually, once I use up the rest of my traditional wash, I will probably go ONR only. It just works so well and is easier and faster than traditional wash.

I would be a little nervous using a quick detailer on black paint with road grime on it. I would just do an ONR wash. ONR washes are quick and easy.

If you wash your car again, why would you have to fully detail it again. Assuming you are using a good wash and not something harsh, your wax or sealant should be fine after the wash. Assuming your paint was clean before the rain, this is a case where you may be safe to use a QD to wipe off the rain droplets.

Post Thanks / Like

About the QD. Im referring to basically just the dust from driving. I hate having the dust on my car. Cant I just spray and wipe and I'm fine?

Same with after it rains. I dont want to have to go through a whole new car wash. The ONR sounds like a quicker easier way. But what if it doesnt all the water spots, then do I QD?

“You can have everything in life you want, if you just help enough other people get what they want.” -Zig Ziglar

Post Thanks / Like

About the QD. Im referring to basically just the dust from driving. I hate having the dust on my car. Cant I just spray and wipe and I'm fine?
    You can QD it but I wouldn't.

Same with after it rains. I dont want to have to go through a whole new car wash. The ONR sounds like a quicker easier way. But what if it doesnt all the water spots, then do I QD?
    If ONR doens't remove the waterspots I don't see how a QD would. ONR has stronger cleaning ability than any QD I have ever heard of.

Post Thanks / Like

My pony will be hibernating in the garage this winter. However with winter coming I would recommend using ONR or DP Rinseless Wash and Gloss for washing; but try too keep it up and not let your car get real dirty. If my car is more then slightly dirty I opt for the hose and bucket wash. When I do use ONR I prefer to mix it with distilled water and use the two bucket wash method w/grit guards (I also use distilled water for my rinse bucket). I recommend mixing up a stronger ONR solution in a spray bottle and presoaking your car prior to doing the wash. I use my sheepskin mitt, get the mitt totally saturated with the ONR/distilled water solution and let it ever so gently glide over the paint in the same direction that air flows over the car. With winter coming you can use rubber gloves to help insulate your hands. I would not QD if your car has anything other than very light dust.(I use QD more to remove finger prints or smudges or to turn up the shine) As part of a dust removal maintenance ritual I use a California duster to (GENTLEY) remove LIGHT dust. I also use FK-425 and a cobra WW guzzler, as the FK-425 has anti-static properties and leaves an extra super slick finish that helps to reduce dust accumulation.
    The FK-425 also is great at removing water spots. Try to remove any water spots ASAP, don't let them sit on your car any longer than you have to. If the QD doesn't remove the spots, you can use your paint cleaner (Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion) to remove them, just be sure to re-apply wax in the spots that you have to use paint cleaner on.

Back In Black!
    Last edited by DARK HORSE; 10-11-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu