autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

XMT 360 followed with DG 105?

I have seen a few detailers use DG 105 after xmt 360. Is this smart?

1. XMT 360 corrects, cleans, and seals. DG 105 is a cleaner and a polish. Wouldn't the DG 105 clean off the protection left behind by the xmt 360? Is this over-kill?

2. Does DG 105 need an 8 hour cure time- like WGDG Sealant- before Aquawax #951 can be placed on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: XMT 360 followed with DG 105?

I also would like to know the answer to this question. I recently used XMT 360. It is advertised as having mild/moderate correction, plus paint cleansing ability plus final polish/protection. In my limited experience the correction properties were "limited" - I had to move up to Ultimate Compound (Meguiars) to achieve the desired results. Possibly I have a "hard" clearcoat on my Hyundai Santa Fe - I don't know. Anyway, I used XMT 360 at the next (lighter) correction step and it really did "clean" my paint as the orange pad I was using pulled a good amount of "black stuff" out of my white paint. It also finishes by being "gone" and leaves a nice gloss at the end. (Intended for machine application - I used the new Griot's Dual Action polisher thanks to Mike's clarification(s) on these machines.)

I have no idea how durable the XMT 360 protection is so I was planning on "topping" with the DuraGloss 105 as a final step/sealant (Chicago) but if it does have "correction" abilities - "14 Auto" raises a good question - it would remove the XMT or maybe not bond as well. The DG instructions state - "designed to clean, polish and protect" but it is a "wipe on - wipe off" (after hazing) product so how much "cleaning" could it actually do? Was going to use the DG "bonding" agent product as well.

Any help on this point from the "Geeks" out there?

Thanks,

Martin
    Last edited by mfortier; 10-08-2009 at 06:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

DG 105 has a mild chemical cleaner but it is a sealant. I know it is labeled "polish" but that's just a buzzword. I only apply it to a prepped surface using it as a last step product. I would think the durability would be affected in a negative manner when placed atop 360 or any other product for that matter.
    Last edited by RTexasF; 10-08-2009 at 07:25 AM.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

1.) No, but it may affect XMT360's durability. DG105 is only a mild cleaner at best.

2.) After buffing DG105 off, you should wait at least 8 hours to let the product cure before applying anything on top. 24 hours would be even better.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, what do you have to say about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Good point RTexas, "chemical cleaners" are still "cleaners" even if you don't have to "rub" them much. Looks like I'll be using some Collinite "sealant" product on top of my 360 XMT to avoid any issues AND get the durability.

Appreciate your input.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

DG#105 has a very very mild cleaner (Think of it as a sealant only). IMO it will not clean off XMT 360. I have used these products over and over with no problems. Use DG#105 like you would use Z5. A little goes a long ways....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sparkle,

I'll be working on the car today. (My project is not only multiple steps but multiple weekends - bad OCD.) Anyway, I'll do some sections with the Collinite and some with the Duragloss as I have both and "sealing" is today's goal. Maybe will be able to appreciate some difference but in my limited experience the durability of both these products is exceptional.

Regards,

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    DG#105 has a very very mild cleaner (Think of it as a sealant only). IMO it will not clean off XMT 360. I have used these products over and over with no problems. Use DG#105 like you would use Z5. A little goes a long ways....

thank you. Sounds like you have used it often.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one with XMT 360 followed with DG 105....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.