autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the difference between OLD M105 and the new formula M105 and...

...how do you tell which one you have? I have a bottle of M105 but I'm not sure if it's the new or old formula. I know the new formula is DA approved, just not sure why and how I can tell which bottle of M105 I have right now. The bottle I have says nothing about using a DA with it and dries very quickly.

MIKE, HELP ME!!! I want the DA approved M105 even though this one seems to work well, just want to make sure when I re-order, I get the right stuff.

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the difference between OLD M105 and the new formula M105 and...

I know the new M105 uses Mirco Abrasion, that start small and stay small, it does not break down. Which helps alot becuase you can stop useing the products when the imperfections are gone and not when the compound is completely broken down. It leavings you a finish that is almost 100% perfect I do not know about the old formula
    Last edited by sullysdetailing; 10-05-2009 at 06:44 PM.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adrock2003 View Post
    ...how do you tell which one you have? I have a bottle of M105 but I'm not sure if it's the new or old formula. I know the new formula is DA approved, just not sure why and how I can tell which bottle of M105 I have right now. The bottle I have says nothing about using a DA with it and dries very quickly.

MIKE, HELP ME!!! I want the DA approved M105 even though this one seems to work well, just want to make sure when I re-order, I get the right stuff.

Adam

Look at the back of the bottle. The old formula dosent have a picture of a DA on it where as the new formula does picture the DA and rotary also. As far as the formula inside,Meg's probably won't say what was changed . I have both and the newer one dosen't seem to dust as much.
    Paul S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    I know the new M105 uses Mirco Abrasion, that start small and stay small, it does not break down. Which helps alot becuase you can stop useing the products when the imperfections are gone and not when the compound is completely broken down. It leavings you a finish that is almost 100% perfect I do not know about the old formula
    The old and new versions have the same non-diminishing abrasives. The new very has added oils so it will work a little longer.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    Look at the back of the bottle. The old formula doesn't have a picture of a DA on it where as the new formula does picture the DA and rotary also.
    This is correct. The new formula has a new back label and lists that it's approved for use with DA Polishers.

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    The new very has added oils so it will work a little longer.
    I've never heard from anyone at Meguiar's as to how the formula was changed to provide a longer buffing cycle, unless I heard it from Meguiar's I'm not sure I would use the word oils as that may or may not be true. Oils is a pretty strong word in forum talk but it's also not very specific. Asking Meguiar's might not yield a specific answer either as this would probably be considered proprietary information.

FWIW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    This is correct. The new formula has a new back label and lists that it's approved for use with DA Polishers.

I've never heard from anyone at Meguiar's as to how the formula was changed to provide a longer buffing cycle, unless I heard it from Meguiar's I'm not sure I would use the word oils as that may or may not be true. Oils is a pretty strong word in forum talk but it's also not very specific. Asking Meguiar's might not yield a specific answer either as this would probably be considered proprietary information.

FWIW

Here I will use a different word, they changed the LIQUID in it so it has a longer working time. This was told to me by a Megs rep. I trust his insight and that should clear up my above post.

Mike Phillips

Here I will use a different word, they changed the LIQUID in it so it has a longer working time. This was told to me by a Megs rep. I trust his insight and that should clear up my above post.
    One thing I've learned about forums is to choose your words carefully as some people will really key in on specific words.

So just to be clear, I wasn't taking issue with what you wrote, just trying to keep things on the safe side as I honestly don't know how they modified the formula and it's so easy for things posted to forums to be copied and pasted all over the place and there's nothing wrong with this as long as the information is accurate.

Forum like this are going to be around for a long time so we want to do our best to make sure the information presented is accurate.

I just posted something similar in this thread about referring to products as being based on water or water-based.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...based-not.html

And again, I was in no way taking issue with what the Original Posted wrote, just trying to pint out that saying, or typing on a public forum that something is water-based may not be technically correct.

If I get a chance I'll ask Mike Pennington or Jason Rose about the changes to M105 or anyone one of you reading this can post this type of question to their forum and if it's not proprietary information I'm confident they will be happy to share more information on the topic.

Dana, if you've talked to a Meguiar's Rep about this then you're likely correct in what you wrote, so I'm not taking any issue with it, but like I said I've never heard what the change was so it's just good to be careful. I've been posting to forums for a long time and I've seen people make a big deal about a single word. Hard to believe but true. It's taught be to lean more toward the cautious side without verification.

Post Thanks / Like

We even talked about how alot of people think the first version corrected better than the newer version. That is when he said all they did to the first version was change the liquid to make the product work longer. Other than that it was exactly the same and it should not effect the cutting ability of the product at all. After working more with the newer version I would agree with him 100% that the only difference is working time, cut is the same.

Mike Phillips

We even talked about how alot of people think the first version corrected better than the newer version. That is when he said all they did to the first version was change the liquid to make the product work longer. Other than that it was exactly the same and it should not effect the cutting ability of the product at all. After working more with the newer version I would agree with him 100% that the only difference is working time, cut is the same.
    And this is exactly what I've heard. Nothing more, nothing less.

Post Thanks / Like

Still have not tried out M105, I want but dont know if I want to jump into buying a whole bottle. Using SIP now but the clear on my GTI is so darn hard SIP will not take care of some things. Not looking for 100% correction as it is my DD, but something with little more cut would be nice. (Sample trade anyone? haha)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast