autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Prep Question

Quote Originally Posted by SportEL View Post
    Why wouldn't you bother with the 476. Won't applying a caranuba wax (Collinite 476) over Sealant (DG 105) be a good combination. I'm only doing this because I read Collinte 476 or Duragloss 105 are great for winter prep because of their durability so I thought combining them together would be perfect.
    If you dont have 501, just go 601/105, wait a day and do a second coat of 105 only. You only use the 601 on the first coat. You actually do not remove the 601, just apply the 105 over the 601.

It wont hurt to apply 476 over the 105, it's just extra work in my opinion. 105 x 2, on it's own provides great winter protection against snow, salt, bird bombs, etc. 476 over 105 to me, (key words "to me" lol) doesnt add as much to the look as a quick shot of aqua wax over the 105 would.
    With that said, many here do apply wax over a sealant, with the wax being the "sacrificial" barrier over the sealant and feel it gives better protection. My opinion is that sometimes the solvents in the wax actually weakens the sealant underneath thereby compromising the sealants durability.
    I dont think you can really go wrong either way, just an extra step adding the 476. However, if you are like me and enjoy waxing, by all means go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

^Thanks. I was going to get DG Aquawax added to my order, but the order was already packed . By solvents, do you mean cleaning properties?, because in Collinite 476's product description, it says it is a true wax and has no cleaning properties.

Can anyone answer my original question if the DG 105/601 since they have cleaning properties, will remove the microfine fillers and nourishing oils of Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion?

Or can I skip straight to DG 105/601 after claybar, or will I get a cleaner surface and higher gloss with using PPCL?
    Last edited by SportEL; 10-05-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belcherm58 View Post
    I just started my winter prep today. My truck was pretty clean from washing it yesterday. It had a light coat of dust this morning and I used DP Rinseless Wash and Gloss to bring it back to clean. I then clayed it using Pinnacle clay. I buffed it out starting with LC CCS 5.5" orange pad with Menzerna Power Finish and then went back over it with a LC CCS 5.5" White pad using my PC and Menzerna Micro Finishing Polish. It was one of the most productive buffing sessions
    I have had with my PC and the CCS 5.5" pads. I also really like the
    Menzerna polishes. Truck looked like glass! I applied Klasse AIO.
    I plan on going back over it in a day or so using the Klasse High Gloss sealant glaze. This was my first time using Klasse. I was amazed with how easy the Klasse went on and came off. I have not decided if I will put two coats of the Klasse sealant glaze on it or one. I want the longest amount of durability I can get with the Klasse. I will then top with Sourveran every time I get a chance. Anyone have any suggestions about how many coats of the Klasse I should go with?
    I'd love to know your secret. I used Klasse sealant glaze for the first time last weekend and it gave me nothing but grief. It seemed to go on pretty easily but I had a very rough time getting it off. Thinking that it was probably user error, I was much more careful with the second coat in terms of how much I used and let it cure overnight before taking it off. I still had problems getting it off. I ended up using a quick detailer to help get it off which caused a huge mess. I'm sure it works great but I'm going to have to learn some tricks before I use it again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12