autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

colored specific waxes (same color as paint)

ive seen a few companies offer a wax that is used for a certain color of a car, even black wax for black cars.... but i cant get past the hype of these and think about how it would benefit a car to put a new color on top of the clear coat and end up distorting the actual color of the car?

anyone used colord waxes, specifically black (would be easiest to tell a difference), and note the difference in shine between a regular wax and a colord wax on the opposite side?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: colored specific waxes (same color as paint)

I too believe it to be hype is discussing colored waxes specifically.... more about coloring the fillers in these products which temporarily hide or reduce the appearance of scratches and swirls. Unfortunately at first or second wash they commonly reappear. Often found at OTC ...

Now I will note waxes like Pinnacle Souveran Paste were designed for paints like black , red, yellow using the already reflective nature of their color and try to amplify them. Polymers may be needed in other products like Pinnacle SSII to amplify lighter colors and metallics to boost the reflective nature. So the ingredients may be excenuated to make certain colors more pleasing. Thus the wax is not colored in attempt to "blend" into the paint color being waxed but actually being designed from start to boost certain colors.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I too believe it to be hype is discussing colored waxes specifically.... more about coloring the fillers in these products which temporarily hide or reduce the appearance of scratches and swirls. Unfortunately at first or second wash they commonly reappear. Often found at OTC ...

Now I will note waxes like Pinnacle Souveran Paste were designed for paints like black , red, yellow using the already reflective nature of their color and try to amplify them. Polymers may be needed in other products like Pinnacle SSII to amplify lighter colors and metallics to boost the reflective nature. So the ingredients may be excenuated to make certain colors more pleasing. Thus the wax is not colored in attempt to "blend" into the paint color being waxed but actually being designed from start to boost certain colors.

well, the reason i believe that these colord waxes are just a hype, when you think about it, if you take a black car... black is never just black, in order to actually patent a certain color, paint makers will mix a specific color of "black" or "yellow" or "white" for manufacturers...

for example, if anyone has ever mixed paint to match before, toyota's black, code 202. is actually 99% black and a couple drops of yellow... there are some other blacks from other companies that have things like gray, silver, red etc all in the black, but its still "black" because thats what it looks like mostly.

take a black polish and put it on a "black" car. and you dont enhance the color like you would with a normal clear wax on top, you change the black thats on it and possibly make it look worse depending on how the black being applied over the clear looks on top of the 2 layers of paint.

this is stemming from talking to a local detail products manufacturer (hi-temp) located here in omaha. i bought some quick detailer from them and some rubber dressing that i know works well. and proceeded to talk to them about their products after they asked me if i bought their black wax for my black supra. where they continued to bash on the Blackfire brand of midnight sun wax..... and say that their black wax consisting of small amount of carnauba and 4 other waxes (bees, parrafin, and others), is superior because its made for a black car (black color)..... i couldnt take them completely serious and it makes me want to buy it after i get my midnight sun in, and do a side by side panel on the hood and show them that their black wax isnt the same as a quality high end carnauba.... we will see though unless someone else has an answer for me so i dont end up spending 15 bucks for a canister of wax ill never use

Mike Phillips

If your car has a clear coat finish you're not working on a colored or pigmented paint so a colored wax doesn't actually make any sense.

I do have a friend that said he had good luck using a colored wax on a car with a lot of rock chips because the wax filled into the chipped area and masked the rock chip.

Colored waxes are usually either on the bottom shelf or the close-out rack, from my experience talking with people that have tried them, no on has ever found them to deliver the results they were looking for let alone blown away by the results.

If you have a clear coated car and the paint is looking dull and lifeless, the cure is not to use a colored wax but to use a compound, paint cleaner, cleaner/polish or cleaner/wax to restore clarity to the clear coat so that your eyes can see the color coat under the clear layer of paint.

What are you working on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If your car has a clear coat finish you're not working on a colored or pigmented paint so a colored wax doesn't actually make any sense.

I do have a friend that said he had good luck using a colored wax on a car with a lot of rock chips because the wax filled into the chipped area and masked the rock chip.

Colored waxes are usually either on the bottom shelf or the close-out rack, from my experience talking with people that have tried them, no on has ever found them to deliver the results they were looking for let alone blown away by the results.

If you have a clear coated car and the paint is looking dull and lifeless, the cure is not to use a colored wax but to use a compound, paint cleaner, cleaner/polish or cleaner/wax to restore clarity to the clear coat so that your eyes can see the color coat under the clear layer of paint.

What are you working on?

like i put above, this was about the fact that a local manufacturer was attempting to sell me a product simply based on the fact that "its good on dark paints", but my concern was that it doesnt matter what color paint you have, the wax wont match it anyway

this is on my supra (in my signature), the rest of my new set of detailing supplies come tomorrow, so ill be doing full paint correction on it to get ready to advertise for a startup detailing bis. ill be covering it with z2 and blackfire midnight sun when its completed though, and ill probably drive back up there and ask them for a free demonstration on an untouched portion of the car so i can see their claim in action.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToys View Post
    like i put above, this was about the fact that a local manufacturer was attempting to sell me a product simply based on the fact that "its good on dark paints", but my concern was that it doesn't matter what color paint you have, the wax wont match it anyway
    I hoped I added to you point above when I posted my answer about working on clear paints with a colored wax?

It kind of sounds like you already know the answer to your question?

but i cant get past the hype of these and think about how it would benefit a car to put a new color on top of the clear coat and end up distorting the actual color of the car?

anyone used colord waxes, specifically black (would be easiest to tell a difference), and note the difference in shine between a regular wax and a colord wax on the opposite side?

this is on my supra (in my signature), the rest of my new set of detailing supplies come tomorrow, so ill be doing full paint correction on it to get ready to advertise for a startup detailing bis. ill be covering it with z2 and blackfire midnight sun when its completed though, and ill probably drive back up there and ask them for a free demonstration on an untouched portion of the car so i can see their claim in action.

Please take video or even just pictures and then share them with the rest of us!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I hoped I added to you point above when I posted my answer about working on clear paints with a colored wax?

It kind of sounds like you already know the answer to your question?

Please take video or even just pictures and then share them with the rest of us!

yeah, added good to it, id be afraid to use a colored wax on a single stage paint as well, it just wont be the same color when your done regardless.

well.. as far as knowing the answer already, i only know as much i learn mike so if i dont check it out and find out for sure how good a product is, or find out for myself how something works, theres no way to tell for sure if it actually is good or not. im sure these guys have fooled lots of people in to believeing that their "black wax" is superior for dark colored cars, because the average person doesnt know any better.

ill definately see what i do about some pictures of a side by side, probably a tapeoff comparison, ill update when i get a chance.

Mike Phillips

well.. as far as knowing the answer already, i only know as much i learn mike so if i dont check it out and find out for sure how good a product is, or find out for myself how something works, theres no way to tell for sure if it actually is good or not.

There's an old saying that I really love,

"Try to learn from other people's mistakes because you might not live long enough to make them all on your own"

I'm always learning and I suspect anyone that acts like they know everything, (or posts like they know everything).

This industry is changing all the time and the only way to stay on top of your game is to have an open mind and be willing to learn about new products, ideas and technology.

This forum is a great place to ask questions and every active member on this forum will do their best to help see you through to success.

The best advice I usually give to everyone and a "Best Practice" that I use myself on every car I've never worked on previously, is to do what I call a Test Spot.

I know it sounds so simple but I've met people in my life that will buy a product, apply it to the entire car and then inspect the results and find out that the results don't look good.

Had they done a "Test Spot" they would have found out that the product, pad and/or process they used didn't make a small area look good and they could have stopped right then and there and re-evaluated their process.

Definitely check out these products you've posted about and update this thread with what you find out.

Post Thanks / Like

... this was about the fact that a local manufacturer was attempting to sell me a product .
    Great post. I don't have your experience, but this whole thread has educated me.

Good responses spring from good questions. Saved me some $ on similar products I had been considering.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of Dodo Juice's waxes are color-charged but a lot of people seem to like their products. In my experience so far, Dodo Juice walks a very fine line between a high-quality carnauba paste wax and an over-priced well-marketed gimmick. I still have not come to a conclusion just yet.

Either way, the color-charging aspect isn't significant enough to actually change the color of the car. It simply gives the paint a tint to help bring out the shine of that specific color. It's really your applicators and microfibers that end up getting color-charged!
    08 Subaru WRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast