autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tape Glue removal

OK so I'm polishing the Honda Pilot, I need to get something out of the garage so I pull it out (all taped up with 3M green) into the 90 deg sun (it's only 90 here about 2 days a year)....leave it sit there for about 3 hrs. And the glue melts. Now when I pull off the tape it leaves a sticky glue track everywhere, as well as when I'm polishing if I touched the tape the glue spreads so I try to wipe with IPA and all that does is get it on my MF's and spread it on more paint.......Yes I'm a dumb A$$ but how do I get this stuff off without covering the entire car and ruining all my MF towels? The glue is all over the windows and anyplace else there was tape.

Thanks, and it's OK to give me a because I should think before I do.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Mike Phillips

Re: Tape Glue removal

I hate that when that happens...

Usually any kind of paint cleaner, polish or wax, when rubbed over the goo will loosen it enough so you can wipe it off. Goo-Gone is another option. I try to use my finishing wax or paint sealant as that way the area is protected after I've removed the residue.

This happened to me on the 1957 Chevy I buffed out last Saturday and I actually wrote out what I did somewhere in the thread, I used a foam hand applicator pad with the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to loosen and remove it.

Luckily it was just a little tape adhesive mixed with the different chemicals I used and it was just a line of residue on the paint where the tape edge was.

It was very warm last Saturday, I didn't get any temperatures readings but my shirt was wet with sweat from about 8:30 am to 5:30pm and after that it started to cool down and I was able to slow down.