autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish recomendation - post clear coat polish needed

I am doing so rust repair on my daily driver and will be doing a finishing coat with some color mateched rattlecan spray paint, and some spray can clear coat. I've read that I will still need to polish up this clear coat to get a true shine... looking for a product recomendation.

I've got a 7427, but just wondering what pad and polish anyone would recomend... I've read "wool and some compound" but wanted a more informed opinion... not sure if the fact that it is not a true, deep clear coat comes in to play or not.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Phillips

Re: Polish recomendation - post clear coat polish needed

When are you doing the painting?

First, make sure it comes out okay, we're all going to cross our fingers it will but if it doesn't you might be looking at buying more paint, not polishing.

Second, you're going to want that paint to fully dry before you start doing any kind of polishing on it, like a week or two.

Third, you don't want to be using a wool pad with a compound, chances are good if all you want to do is bring up the gloss then you can probably get away with working by hand and simply rub the paint out enough to insure it's clear and smooth.

Gloss comes from smoothness and usually when you paint something with a spray can you get some dry spray or overspray on adjacent panels as well as the paint you just sprayed.

You might try to just work by hand and gently smooth the paint over using a light cleaner/polish or paint cleaner with a microfiber applicator pad.

What are you working on?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... not doing any of it this week, but in the next 4 weeks or so... just planning ahead.

It's an mid '80s BMW 3 series. Had considerable rust in the lower sections, so I did some major grinding, anti-rusting, and filling, and now have some primed sections on the lower parts.

Car isn't worth much, but it'll make it less offensive if it is all one color! Just trying to make my cheap fix look as good as it can.

Post Thanks / Like

I just spray painted a panel of my car with clear and it has a lot of overspray on it. Kinda looks like a fine dust is on the panel. I don't think a polish will work to remove it. I'm thinking I will have to wet sand it and then go to Meg's Ultimate Compound. I think the compound by hand will suffice after wet sanding and from what I've read it finishes pretty good. Not sure of what grit paper though....