autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Length of time...

Mike,

It took me almost 30 hours to do only the outside of my 02 Mustang GT. It was my first detail and i did find a few things to make it quicker as i went, but not enough.

My question is, how long, on average, do you spend working in a polish in a 2x2 area. i know everyone says, til its broken down. i think i was really overduing it on the Menzerna SIP, i did work a lil quicker on the Nano Polish.
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

Mike Phillips

Re: Length of time...

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN View Post

It took me almost 30 hours to do only the outside of my 02 Mustang GT. It was my first detail and i did find a few things to make it quicker as i went, but not enough.
    Out of all the steps you did, which specific step was taking the longest?

My question is, how long, on average, do you spend working in a polish in a 2x2 area.
    Depends upon the tool and the goal.

If I was using a cutting compound with a rotary buffer and a wool pad I would hope to knock out a 2x2 section in about 5-10 minutes including wiping off the residue. 5 minutes if the swirls and scratches are not too deep and the paint is buffing really well, longer if the swirls and scratches are deep and/or the paint is not buffing well.

If I was using a dual action polisher I wouldn't tackle that large of an area. How long it takes depends upon how effectively the swirls and scratches are coming out and how well the pad is rotating. Dry pads rotate better/faster than saturated pads so theres a few factors that affect time.

30 hours for one side of a mid-sized is too long unless your not in a hurry or using some very non-aggressive products.

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to say if it really is taking too long or not. There is a lot of different things that can make it take a long time or not.
    It could be that it is you first time doing correction work, the paint was that bad, like Mike said maybe the wrong polish for the job. I posted a 03 Z06 on here and it took over 40 hours to do but it was full of acid rain and the guy wanted the car to look like my vette so that is an instance were it would take a long time to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I can do my Civic SI in 8 hours if I'm hurrying, but that's only about 80 to 85% correction. When I did an 89 'vette that had never been touched I spent 27 hours doing the detail. Twenty of it was polishing alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Out of all the steps you did, which specific step was taking the longest?
    i..
    washed
    claybar'd
    Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
    Menzerna Finish Polish (Nano)
    Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax (really shines)
    Mother Back to Black
    Windex Automotive Window Cleaner
    Original Bike Spirits Polish on the rims and inner wheel, after Castrol Degreaser

the SIP took the longest, but it was my first time, i sped it up closer to the end and didnt notice it being any worse at all. The SIP took around 8-10 hours (taking my time) the Finish Polish took about 4 hours. Clay took around 4-5 hours, wash was around 2 hours. The SIP killed me, but i think b/c it was my first time, i will get quicker. well see, i have a black Lexus ES to do that has swirls, medium swirls. I have Meg's SwirlX for that car. The stang has Light Swirling that the SIP took care of. Posting up pics of the detail when i finish this post!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What tool are you using??

Post Thanks / Like

SIP is a medium polish, next time try stepping up to something else like 205 or even 105. 205 first though.

Seeing that you broke a backing plate we now know you own a pc, I would get some 105 and 205, this will speed things up a bit with your pc.
    Last edited by ASPHALT ROCKET; 09-14-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i feel your pain! im at 8 hrs so far on my 01and im just about half way. i have to wait till my next day off to finish it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    What tool are you using??
    XP

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    SIP is a medium polish, next time try stepping up to something else like 205 or even 105. 205 first though.

Seeing that you broke a backing plate we now know you own a pc, I would get some 105 and 205, this will speed things up a bit with your pc.
    please post more info on these 2. are they more aggressive? what brand are they? or ink em if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunshine01 View Post
    i feel your pain! im at 8 hrs so far on my 01and im just about half way. i have to wait till my next day off to finish it up.
    a lot to tape off. you mod urs at all? we have a catless Xpipe new piping and flowmaster 40's. the original 2 chamber non delta flows.

Post Thanks / Like

a lot to tape off. you mod urs at all? we have a catless Xpipe new piping and flowmaster 40's. the original 2 chamber non delta flows.
    yup. 2"drop w/ sportlines for now, going to h&r ss springs,kyb shocks/struts, borla stinger exhaust, sct x-cal 3 tuner, hid conversion, tinted lamps, crystal clear fogs, 03 cobra wheels (going to 315 rear very soon), maximum motorsports full length sub frame cons. but i really wanna buy a mcah or 99-01 cobra now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast