autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What 7424XP Backing plate?

Hi folks, this is my first post. I purchased Mike's DVD a few days ago and I have really learned a bunch. I am retired and will be 69 on the 25th, so I am ready to purchase a PC 7424XP. I plan to use it with the Meguiars pads Mike used in the DVD, W8006, W9006, and a W7006 as a "backing pad". However, I don't know which backing plate to order and I see there are 18001 and 18002 PC's available, with the latter being a "contour" plate.

We have an 08 Dark Blue Nissan Quest on which the finish is in very decent condition. I plan to use Meguiars Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner first, Deep Crystal Polish, followed by NXT Gen Tech Wax 2.0. I plan to follow Mike's tips and techniques as shown in his DVD as closely as I can. I am new to "detailing", all I have ever done is wash the a vehicle and then use a one step cleaner/wax by hand. I am really looking forward to the PC and keeping our vans in much better condition. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated, especially what backing plate to use and counterweight.

Charlie Walker - Newborn, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What 7424XP Backing plate?

i would get the 5" lake country backing plate as you can use both 5.5" and 6.5" pads with it...

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

Post Thanks / Like

Some of these product descriptions are contradicting. It says in "red" to use the 5 inch BP with a pad up-to 6 inches(meaning not over 6 inches). Then, on the page for the 6.5 inch pads, it says to use the 5 inch plate.

Post Thanks / Like

If your preference is the Meg's pads then you may want to check out the newer Meg's 2.0 soft pads and a W68DA backing plate that Meg's has just released.
    paul S
    Last edited by 2old2change; 09-13-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    If your preference is the Meg's pads then you may want to check out the newer Meg's 2.0 soft pads and a W68 backing plate that Meg's has just released.
    paul S
    Thanks Paul. The problem is I am an absolute newbie and I am reluctant to depart from what Mike uses in the DVD not knowing squat about pads. But I will take a look at the new pads and backing plate non the less. Thanks for your help!

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

I have that dvd and its pretty good for beginners and not so new alike.If I remember correctly his go to product then was 80 and 83 which a lot have replaced with m105 and m205. It is a few years old and the Meg's line has been up-dated since then. AutoGeek as well as other now carry the new style of pads and backing plates and compounds. You will also learn as you go along the key will be to find the least aggressive product needed to do the job and adjust accordingly. You are on the right track and at the right place to learn.

Paul S

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie,

You will most likely get some feedback from Mike himself on this thread tomorrow when he comes in (unless he is slammed) , You might send him a PM and ask if he were making that video today what products he would use. I'd bet it wold be the new pads and MEG Ultimate compound and Scratch x 2.0. Just a guess.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the G100 (same as 7424/7336/7335) and I use the W67DA backing plate with the 7006/8006/9006 pads and I also use the W68DA with the new 7207/8207/9207 pads.

I have great luck with the 83/80 series but the new M105/M205 series are new technology and work great. I also use Ultimate Compound and SwirlX in my regiment.....

I am wanting smaller pads and my next go to will probably be the Lake Country 5.5" pads and some 4" pads for the smaller stuff.

The bigger pads (7207/8207/9207) spin fine for me on my G100 and should be fine with the 7424XP.

The nice thing about the new pads (soft buff 2.0) are the fact they are machine washable! I use them and throw them in the wash and don't worry about the backing coming off!

The older pads can be washed (as I have washed them) but the backing can come lose....Meguiar's doesn't recommend washing them.....I lost 2 pads out of 10 or so and 2 years of use....not a big deal

So....the Lake Country, Meguiar's pads (old and the new) will work fine for you. I am liking the idea of the 5.5" pads as they may spin better on smaller surfaces than the bigger pads and of course the 4" pads for the door sills etc.

I'm sure Mike will chime in on Monday when he catches his breath and has a cup of joe
    Last edited by Nappers; 09-13-2009 at 05:56 PM.
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    Charlie,

You will most likely get some feedback from Mike himself on this thread tomorrow when he comes in (unless he is slammed) , You might send him a PM and ask if he were making that video today what products he would use. I'd bet it wold be the new pads and MEG Ultimate compound and Scratch x 2.0. Just a guess.
    Boy what great response from the forum, I am most appreciative. I think the advice to ask Mike what he would recommend today vis a vi what he used in the DVD is well said. Our 08 Nissan that we purchased in late June is in fine shape and I don't believe I need anything real aggresive. I like the idea that the new pads are machine washable, which makes the higher price more palatable. Gracious I love retirement, but the SS income reigns me in from time to time. But GOD is good, and he has never left nor forsaken us, and we have the ability to get a new 7424XP and the stuff needed to go with it.

Thanks again folks for the great welcome to the forum!

Cordially,

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Walker View Post
    Boy what great response from the forum, I am most appreciative. I think the advice to ask Mike what he would recommend today vis a vi what he used in the DVD is well said. Our 08 Nissan that we purchased in late June is in fine shape and I don't believe I need anything real aggresive. I like the idea that the new pads are machine washable, which makes the higher price more palatable. Gracious I love retirement, but the SS income reigns me in from time to time. But GOD is good, and he has never left nor forsaken us, and we have the ability to get a new 7424XP and the stuff needed to go with it.

Thanks again folks for the great welcome to the forum!

Cordially,

Charlie
    Welcome aboard Charlie...Enjoy your retirement!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast