autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

minimizing cracks

This is my first post here but I have been lurking for quite some time. I need some advice on minimizing the appearance of some cracks in the paint of my car. I have a 1980 Trans Am. I had the car repained a few years ago and overall the paint is in fantastic shape. I always get positive comments and the car is strictly show / cruise car. I have used nothing but Zaino since the repaint.

I was on my way to a large show a few weeks ago and on the way this work truck kicked up a tire fragment and it hit the front end of my car. If you are unfamiliar with 80 Firebirds and Trans Ams, they have a urethane front end that is flexible. The problem is when the tire hit my front end flexed but the paint - I believe just the clear did not. The damage is not super noticeable. Many people did not see it until I pointed it out to them and I still placed at the show I was going to despite the damage.

When I got home there were some light scratches form the impact of the tire as well as the cracks. I used my PC with ZPC to correct the scratches and then put down a coat of ZAIO to begin layering again. The issue I am having is some of the residue from the ZPC has gotten into the cracks and they are more noticeable now. I am trying Z5 now to see if that takes care of it.

What I am looking for is either a technique to get the residue out of the cracks or a recommendation of a product that would minimize the appearance of the cracks. Ideally one that I could still use with Zaino.

I know the area will need to be repained but I would like to hold off for a while and tackle some other projects first.

I appreciate any advice on this. This car is my baby. I have had it for 16 years. Thanks again.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: minimizing cracks

Quote Originally Posted by vader2 View Post
    This is my first post here but I have been lurking for quite some time. I need some advice on minimizing the appearance of some cracks in the paint of my car. I have a 1980 Trans Am. I had the car repained a few years ago and overall the paint is in fantastic shape. I always get positive comments and the car is strictly show / cruise car. I have used nothing but Zaino since the repaint.

I was on my way to a large show a few weeks ago and on the way this work truck kicked up a tire fragment and it hit the front end of my car. If you are unfamiliar with 80 Firebirds and Trans Ams, they have a urethane front end that is flexible. The problem is when the tire hit my front end flexed but the paint - I believe just the clear did not. The damage is not super noticeable. Many people did not see it until I pointed it out to them and I still placed at the show I was going to despite the damage.

When I got home there were some light scratches form the impact of the tire as well as the cracks. I used my PC with ZPC to correct the scratches and then put down a coat of ZAIO to begin layering again. The issue I am having is some of the residue from the ZPC has gotten into the cracks and they are more noticeable now. I am trying Z5 now to see if that takes care of it.

What I am looking for is either a technique to get the residue out of the cracks or a recommendation of a product that would minimize the appearance of the cracks. Ideally one that I could still use with Zaino.

I know the area will need to be repained but I would like to hold off for a while and tackle some other projects first.

I appreciate any advice on this. This car is my baby. I have had it for 16 years. Thanks again.
    This may help to remove the appearence of the cracks, for $8.00 shipped it's definitely something worth trying. They make different colors.