autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a few questions

I own a black 2009CTS-V, pearl white 08 Tahoe LTZ and 08 GSXR 1000. I am currentley using mother clay bar, meguiars #7 and #26 and meguiars spray wax. I am looking for some higher end products. I have always had a hard time getting all the swirls out of black vehicles and make them look as shinny as I like. I also have not found anything to really make my Tahoe just wow me. I am looking for the best products and steps to use on newer vehicles.

Also I need a good leather cleaner that won't effect the suede in the seats. I have only used some OTC leather cleaners that left my seats looking way to shinny for me.

Thanks for any info and sorry for questions that have been asked a million times.

Eric

Mike Phillips

Re: Have a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post

I own a
    • black 2009CTS-V,
    • pearl white 08 Tahoe LTZ and
    • 08 GSXR 1000
    I am currently using mother clay bar, Meguiar's #7 and #26 and Meguiar's spray wax.
    Those are all pretty good products, the #7 is completely non-abrasive so that means it has no ability to remove swirls and scratches, just mask the very lightest of them. The M26 is a non-abrasive pure wax, so it has no cleaning ability either, they are both great for finishes in excellent condition.

I am looking for some higher end products. I have always had a hard time getting all the swirls out of black vehicles and make them look as shinny as I like.
    Everyone has problems with swirls when it comes to clear coat paints because while they tend to be harder than old fashioned single stage paints, they still scratch very easily and because the clear layer is on top of a layer of black or colored paint, the swirls show up very easily to your eyes.

Even if you polish them all out or pay a Professional to polish them all out, you then have to wash them very carefully or you'll just put them back in again. This means you can't take the cars to any type of car wash, you have to take ownership of the car wash process and only use high quality wash mitts, high quality car wash solution and good technique.

I also have not found anything to really make my Tahoe just wow me. I am looking for the best products and steps to use on newer vehicles.
    You can't get a lot of depth out of light colors but you can get a lot of gloss and shine out of them by getting the paint as smooth as possible and then using a premium quality wax or paint sealant.

The trend for the last 20 years has been for car owners, (enthusiasts), to step up to machine polishing using tools like the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher, not old fashioned orbital buffers like you can buy at K-mart or rotary buffers like body shops use but like this,

These tools are lightweight and use a Velcro backing plate that enables you to switch out and use different foam buffing pads depending upon what you want to do to the paint.

Maximizing the clarity and gloss on any of your cars will best be done by machine but you can do it by hand also. Here's a comparison that shows the time difference in working by hand or machine for just the hood of a black Lincoln.

One half of the hood by machine took me 30 minutes from machine cleaning, machine polishing and machine waxing and the other half of the hood by hand took me 1 hour and 30 minutes and a lot of passion behind the pad. See this article,

Man versus Machine

So take some of this information in and let us know if you want to do all your work by hand or if you want to move up to machine polishing and then we'll make some product suggestions that will help you maximize clarity and gloss on the clear coat finish on all your cars.

Also I need a good leather cleaner that won't effect the suede in the seats. I have only used some OTC leather cleaners that left my seats looking way to shinny for me.
    There's nothing on the market that I know of that you can use safely on suede, that's just the nature of that type of material. Most people buy a car with suede material and love the look and feel and when they find out it's almost impossible to work on, as in clean a stain or apply some kind of protectant they're usually let down.

The suede used in cars is either Alcantara or like Alcantara and here's two specific pages on washing and removing stains out of this type of material.

General washing instructions

Stain Removal

The stain removal link does a good job of breaking down stains into either Water-soluble stains or Non Water-soluble stains and the remedies.

Still doesn't read like it's easy and you have to be careful so anyone reading this thread and trying to remove stains out of Alcantara use your own judgment when following the instructions from the above website or any website.

As for the shiny portions of your leather we can help you with that but you have to be careful you don't run your applicator pad with leather protectant onto or even next to the suede portion as suede stains easy with ANY products.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure that the seat inserts are real suede? On my first generation CTS-V (2005) I thought for atleast a year that it was suede, but it's actually "micro-suede"; which is basicaly a fabric with a brushed/napped finish. If that's the case; you can use a mild soap and water if needed. I have the Pinnacle leather cleaner/conditioner (1 step) and I really like it. But, there are a lot of really nice interior cleaning products that I haven't tried yet.

Welcome, and your car rocks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I own a black 2009CTS-V, pearl white 08 Tahoe LTZ and 08 GSXR 1000. I am currentley using mother clay bar, meguiars #7 and #26 and meguiars spray wax. I am looking for some higher end products. I have always had a hard time getting all the swirls out of black vehicles and make them look as shinny as I like. I also have not found anything to really make my Tahoe just wow me. I am looking for the best products and steps to use on newer vehicles.

Thanks for any info and sorry for questions that have been asked a million times.

Eric

I have a black Mazdaspeed3 so I feel your pain.

As far as the pearl white Tahoe, here goes. I did this on my girlfriend's very light (almost white) silver Acura and it almost blinds other drivers. This took me two days. I use a Cyclo polisher. Work one panel at a time, take your time, and do it right.

; wash/dry
    ; clay
    ; wash/dry
    ; PB SSR2.5 with yellow pads
    ; wipe with rubbing alcohol to check work
    ; WG Finishing Glaze with green pads
    ; wipe with rubbing alcohol to check work
    ; PB White Diamond Glaze by hand
    ; WG Sealant by hand
    ; Liquid Souveran by hand
    ; 3 coats of Z-8

Good Luck!

Mark

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The for all the quick responses. That is a lot of good info

I do not currentley have a machine but I am in the market. I am also looking at getting something to clean the carpet in the vehicle. The wifes Tahoe is pretty bad. It would be nice to find these used or something not too pricey.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be getting the new porter. Is there a kit I on this site I can get? Or will something else benefit me?

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

???

Post Thanks / Like

There are kits with the pc, polishes and pads. I would get the kit with Meguiars M05 and M205. If they have a kit with 5.5 inch pads get that one.
    Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads FREE BONUS
    This is the kit I was talking about. I would also get some white and blue pads also.
    Last edited by ASPHALT ROCKET; 09-14-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added to

Post Thanks / Like

The for all the quick responses. That is a lot of good info

I do not currentley have a machine but I am in the market. I am also looking at getting something to clean the carpet in the vehicle. The wifes Tahoe is pretty bad. It would be nice to find these used or something not too pricey.
    Get the carpet brush for the pc. Been doing car carpets by hand for years and now have the carpet brush for the pc. Not only will it clean better, but it will cut your time by 75%. The green brush works great. Get the 5.5" kit as Asphalt Rocket suggested. You might have to buy the Meg's 105/205 separately.

Post Thanks / Like

i was wondering if those brush attachments were any good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast