autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First new car should I wax or not wax it?

I noticed that DP Max Wax is still on sale. $19.99 is a bargain for a high quality wax like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al1515 View Post
    I noticed that DP Max Wax is still on sale. $19.99 is a bargain for a high quality wax like this.

Yes. I keep MaxWax on my 04 Tribute which is Metallic Gray. The MaxWax makes it pop.

Easy to apply. WOWO. Durable and beads well.

Inexpensive.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all these guys!! The stories told about not waxing your new car for 3-6 months because the paint is too fresh is a pile of lies!! Most cars sit at the Manufacturers for more than 3 months anyways!!!

and there's no harm in doubling the protection. use wax and sealant. a good carnauba will make it look deep and warm, but will only last at most 6 mos. where as a good sealant will look like a thin extra coat of clear, but will last up to a year.

And since its a new car, and you have leather seats, put some fabric protector (Scotch Guard type stuff) on your carpets and floor mats. Everyone complains about their stiff feel, but you aren't going to be sleeping on it! The bottom of your shoe wont care if it feels a bit stiff, and you're going to be very grateful you did when you spill your first soda and can just vacuum it up!!

FOR THE LEATHER, use a good leather cleaner (meguire's works) but don't keep it on too long because it might discolor it, and use a UV blocking conditioner at least once every two weeks (once a week would be best). And if you ever start to see some cracking, get a good leather lotion and put it on real thick and let it sit in the sun and soak in. It will look and feel like new after an hour or so.

AND I AGREE WITH MATT, NO DUSTERS!!!! just wash the car when needed!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Well, 1st of all on your question about dusters, DON'T use a duster of any sort.

I see some people on here use a California duster before QD'ing to get the majority of the dust and particles off to reduce swirling during the QD process.

BUT! Doesn't that sorta make the process redundant? The QD is a lubricant and will help protect the paint from the dust. Using a duster on its own first, and dry, there is no protection what so ever. This seems stupid to me, if you want to use a duster and you want to QD, then it's gonna be safer if you spray the QD on, use the duster to remove the majority of the dust and QD and then use a microfiber to remove the rest of the QD. That way you've always got some lubrication on the paint and you're not just rubbing dusty paint while it's dry.
    I picked up and have used the Carrand Microfiber MAX Pure Shine Car Duster and find no swirls on my new black vehicle.

The idea with the dusters is to lightly drag the fibers over the surface of the car in order to exert zero pressure upon the particles that might otherwise scratch. The fibers on the Carrand MF duster are made with electrostatic microfiber that grabs and holds dust, so only contact with the particulate matter is necessary for removal.
    There's more pressure exerted on the grime by the wind that's washing over your vehicle when you drive it.

Remember too (and this may sound like blasphemy here) that your vehicle's finish is engineered to take a certain amount of abrasion with no resulting scratching: it's what a protective finish is all about. It's not like the clear coats of today have the sensitivity and surface integrity of soft butter.
    James

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.