autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel Coatings?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Let me ask you this...

How exactly do you clean your wheels?

APC
    HCW
    IPA
    I use car wash soap, a wash mit and the 3-pack of Wheel Woolies I bought from AG. The fit is tight due to disc and caliper size so I am using the medium and small Wheel Woolies, and even then.

It does a good job but now that I'll be taking the wheels off to do a complete brake flush next spring, I might as well give the wheels a thorough wash and coat them with some product. At the moment, I might as well just use the Meguair's Hybrid Ceramic Wax that I found to work well on my daily driver. If that is unsatisfactory, I'll go to a coating.

APC, HCW, IPA...whatever those acronyms stand for?

Thanks!

The satin black wheels just get a light coat of road dust, nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like

Figured i would add....i used a paint coating on my summer chrome wheels over last winter(thats all i had) and it has withstood the year so far with no signs of failing yet.

I will redo when needed as it is so nice to 99.9% of the time not have to wipe down wheels after a wash. I can just blow dry them and done. No spotting, no need to waste more time going around to each wheel wiping down.

Plus if only light dust on them, just hit with the pressure washer...no need to get out the bucket, brushes and soap.

But to each there own

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Finish View Post
    I use car wash soap, a wash mit and the 3-pack of Wheel Woolies I bought from AG. The fit is tight due to disc and caliper size so I am using the medium and small Wheel Woolies, and even then.

It does a good job but now that I'll be taking the wheels off to do a complete brake flush next spring, I might as well give the wheels a thorough wash and coat them with some product. At the moment, I might as well just use the Meguair's Hybrid Ceramic Wax that I found to work well on my daily driver. If that is unsatisfactory, I'll go to a coating.

APC, HCW, IPA...whatever those acronyms stand for?

Thanks!

The satin black wheels just get a light coat of road dust, nothing more.
    Come on man, you've been a member since 2012 and your not familiar with detailing acronyms yet??

j/k... <-- that mean's just kidding :P

APC = All Purpose Cleaner
    HCW = Hybrid Ceramic Wax
    IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol

I strongly recommend following the procedure with the HCW that I outlined in my previous post. It doesn't take much effort or time to wipe on HCW while the wheel is wet and rinse it off. You'll be continuously reapplying (boosting) that protection every time you clean the wheel.

In fact, since your wheels have a lot of spokes, if you pick up a pair of microfiber gloves like these HERE, just dunk them in water, wring them out so that their damp only, then pump a few sprays of HCW over the face of the wheel and the use the damp gloves to wipe it in. The fingers allow you go grab around and inside the spokes with better dexterity than a huge wash mitt. Then rinse off and wah-lah.

4. Thanks Mirror Finish thanked for this post
    Likes Mirror Finish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Come on man, you've been a member since 2012 and your not familiar with detailing acronyms yet??

I strongly recommend following the procedure with the HCW that I outlined in my previous post. It doesn't take much effort or time to wipe on HCW while the wheel is wet and rinse it off. You'll be continuously reapplying (boosting) that protection every time you clean the wheel.
    I've been too busy riding and driving, so I might be on here once a year. Besides, I think Mike would sooner have me spend $$$ at AG which is 98% of my detailing products, instead of posting. But I do know my acronyms in aviation.

Exactly what I am going to do regarding Meguiar's HCW. Waiting for spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Finish View Post
    I've been too busy riding and driving, so I might be on here once a year. Besides, I think Mike would sooner have me spend $$$ at AG which is 98% of my detailing products, instead of posting. But I do know my acronyms in aviation.

Exactly what I am going to do regarding Meguiar's HCW. Waiting for spring.
    FYI Mike P is no longer with AG.

7. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12