autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Ragtop dusting?

Post Thanks / Like

Ragtop dusting?

2011 Camaro, light brown rag top. Cleaned some bird poop off it last week with a damp microfiber. The color of the ragtop transferred to the MF. There's a few marks on it, looks like someone put something up there & dragged it a bit. Also it kinda changed the look where I removed the poop, but photo's don't show it.
    Just gave it a REALLY light brushing with a REALLY soft brush. Resulted in a bunch of really fine dust the same color as the ragtop coming off...

With that said, live in the Mojave, so the roof is the same color as the dirt out here... altho it was washed on Sunday.

Any cure? Maybe get it wet, apply ragtop cleaner, brush it in one direction & then hose it off until the water runs clear?

Is this like treating/cleaning/brushing ya cowboy hat etc?

Drag marks:
    Those who possess real knowledge are rare. Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still. The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ragtop dusting?

Also:
    I have a Mothers upholstery & leather brush & a Takavu interior upholstery brush (used for the light brushing mentioned above, one pass in one direction). I think the Mothers brush is a bit too *scrubby*.
    Those who possess real knowledge are rare. Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still. The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the rag top convertible brush

https://s.yimg.com/aah/autogeek/ragg...p-brush-33.gif

Scrubs well but does not pill top or at least it didn’t on my mustang convertible top which felt really soft.

I would foam if you have a foam cannon or pump foamer let dwell then rinse. Then apply your convertible top cleaner and gently message with brush.

I would waterproof with the thinking if it keeps water from soaking in then maybe it will keep dust on surface instead of imbedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks ZRX61 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had another look, this dust is actually coming from the material, not the desert.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    Had another look, this dust is actually coming from the material, not the desert.
    Better reason to scrub it with the RaggTopp brush.

7. Likes ZRX61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It rained yesterday, as expected the water soaked into the ragtop instead of beading. It actually looked better after it dried last night than it did before. This car is owned by the roomie, she's going to get with the program & buy the cleaner/sealer kit with the brush.

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    It rained yesterday, as expected the water soaked into the ragtop instead of beading. It actually looked better after it dried last night than it did before. This car is owned by the roomie, she's going to get with the program & buy the cleaner/sealer kit with the brush.
    Have her get the brush and cleaner but get the Gtechniq Fabric. Much better product.

11. Thanks ducksfan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Read good things about the GTECHNIC L1 (iirc what it’s called) on the British detailing forum. Planning on using it when next I use a product on my convertible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Read good things about the GTECHNIC L1 (iirc what it’s called) on the British detailing forum. Planning on using it when next I use a product on my convertible.
    It lasted through a full NW winter and then some. Only about a week of snow but alot of rain.

14. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy liked this post