autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic noob here...need some advice

Hey All,

I need some advice. I'd call myself somewhat of an advanced hobby detailer. I'm not at the level of some of you pros, but over the years I've become fairly competent at removing defects and maintaining the finish. I have a solid wash routine and have a PC, Flex, and rotary. I'm sure I'm not as good at removing defects as I could be, but I certainly get my cars to a level that I'm super happy with.

Up until now, I've always used polymer sealants for my LSP and sometimes topped with a pure carnauba wax to make darker colors pop. Most recently, I been using Wolfgang Deep Gloss and I just love that product. However, I have two new cars coming and I think I'd like to step up my game and try a ceramic coating. I've heard people shy away because it just locks in imperfections and requires a full correction first. But the way I see it, if I can polish my car to a level that I'm happy with, why not coat it and get the longer lasting protection along with easier maintenance? I can always decontaminate, polish and recoat the car every year to make sure that I maintain the finish.

So does this make sense? Is there any reason I should just stick with sealant and leave the ceramic to the professionals? If coating is the way to go, what products would you recommend for a beginner? I've seen some on Adam's site including a ceramic spray. I'm really looking for any tidbits that can help me figure out a routine for the rides.

Thanks in advance!

2. Thanks Me Time thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic noob here...need some advice

Congratulations on the two new vehicles coming. I find it much easier coating brand new vehicles. Less paint correction involved.

Polymer paint sealants are excellent and extremely easy to work with. Ceramic Coatings are pretty easy to apply, it's just the prep work that's the hard part. I would recommend applying the ceramic coating inside an air controlled garage with excellent lighting. Take your time and look for any high spots. Wait 12-24 hours before getting the vehicles wet.

On a brand new vehicle I would use - Iron Remover, Clay, Polish, Prep Spray, Ceramic Coating, and maintain it with and SiO2 Spray Sealant.

Autogeek offers plenty of Ceramic Coatings - CarPro, Gyeon, Gtechniq, Optimum, Pinnacle Black Label, Wolfgang, Blackfire, DP. I personally like to use the Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating Black Edition.

BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating BLACK EDITION Application Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
    Hey All,

I need some advice. I'd call myself somewhat of an advanced hobby detailer. I'm not at the level of some of you pros, but over the years I've become fairly competent at removing defects and maintaining the finish. I have a solid wash routine and have a PC, Flex, and rotary. I'm sure I'm not as good at removing defects as I could be, but I certainly get my cars to a level that I'm super happy with.
    Congrats. Don’t second guess yourself.

Up until now, I've always used polymer sealants for my LSP and sometimes topped with a pure carnauba wax to make darker colors pop. Most recently, I been using Wolfgang Deep Gloss and I just love that product. However, I have two new cars coming and I think I'd like to step up my game and try a ceramic coating. I've heard people shy away because it just locks in imperfections and requires a full correction first. But the way I see it, if I can polish my car to a level that I'm happy with, why not coat it and get the longer lasting protection along with easier maintenance? I can always decontaminate, polish and recoat the car every year to make sure that I maintain the finish.
    You polish until you believe it looks good for you. People blow things out of proportion.

Is there any reason I should just stick with sealant and leave the ceramic to the professionals?
    My advice is you won’t know until you try one of its for you or not. Professionals can F Up a coating as well lol.

I’m sure you will get those who say sealants look better, blah, blah. Keep in mind that some who day this haven’t used a coating or used only one and blanket a stately for all coatings. From my experience all coatings behave differently.

My other advice is don’t stress yourself out when it comes to high spots. It’s going to happen. It’s an easy fix.

If coating is the way to go, what products would you recommend for a beginner? I've seen some on Adam's site including a ceramic spray. I'm really looking for any tidbits that can help me figure out a routine for the rides.

Thanks in advance!
    Bobby mentioned a host of good brands. If you want to take baby steps then look at Gyeon CanCoat. It’s in the category of a coating lite. Similar performance but not the durability. It’s a great product.

The other would be Cquartz Lite. CanCoat would be the easier of the two to install but CQ Lite will be more durable.

Another easy one would be IGL Eco Coat Poly. I haven’t used their graphene consumer coating but I’m sure it’s just as easy as the eco coat poly which is really smooth to apply.

Adams spray coatings fall in the line of a spray sealant. It won’t come close to a true coating.

5. Thanks oneheadlite, Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input. Guz - your perspective is helpful. I was actually already looking at CQuartz Lite for the first try. I'll probably go that direction. As I look at the application directions, it's really the same routine I do now: Wash, ironX, clay, IPA wipe. The only difference is in the LSP. I'll also use Reload to extend the longevity. Now all I need is a car!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input. Guz - your perspective is helpful. I was actually already looking at CQuartz Lite for the first try. I'll probably go that direction. As I look at the application directions, it's really the same routine I do now: Wash, ironX, clay, IPA wipe. The only difference is in the LSP. I'll also use Reload to extend the longevity. Now all I need is a car!
    If you like drying aids carpro's ech20 works very nice too. I cut it 20:1 and also use it as a rinseless wash. Works nice as a clay lube too but i since started using mckee's N914 for clay lube. Even cheaper and leaves nothing behind. Both products are on my must have shelf. I don't always have access to running water and its also much easier and relaxing doing a rinseless wash in my experience. I feel i get to know the paint better.

Post Thanks / Like

If Guz says CanCoat is the easier install I’d go with that. It was going strong at 1 yr with 2 coats. I have not used CQlite but CC was super easy. I preferred it with an applicator.

Depending on heat and humidity I applied to one full panel and removed with no issues in 65 degree WA spring weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am kind of same boat as you. This isn't my job but I do 30 to 40 a year. The way I treat our cars is ceramic wife and kids while mine just a sealant or wax. If you are going to fix defects yearly then why ceramic. I like to try different products on mine and I feel it would be a waste to coat. The wife and kid on the other hand I am happy just keeping clean and maybe tackle the paint in 2 or 3 years when the ceramic is gone.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am an enthusiast with what sounds like the same skill set you have. I have used coatings a handful of times. No factor. Go for it.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going for it! Based on the advice I’ve received and what I’ve read, I’m going to start with Cquartz Lite and top with Reload. For those who use reload, how often do you apply over the coating. I was thinking using reload monthly and Elixer as my QD in between. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Guz's comments are the mic drop. We could end the conversation there.

HOWEVER...this is a discussion forum, so I'll add my 2 cents.

As for coating choices, I actually find CQuartz UK easier to apply than CanCoat. I'm not a fan of the spray bottle applicator and wipe on/off process. I'm more accurate with dribbling product on an applicator pad and the slower pace of application and removal process of CQUK. CQUK flash time may be frustratingly long in some conditions, but I found CanCoat to be a bit too fast. It's all preference. CanCoat is a great product and looks amazing.

I've not heard many favorable comments about Reload, and never tried it. I use ECH20 mixed to QD dilutions as my QD and it works great. I'll use it after every wash as needed to knock out any post wash-water spots and for any other QD duties like finger prints and bird droppings between washes. Elixr looks good, but I found it streaky and hard to find just the right application amount, method, and ideal weather conditions. In colder weather it seemed to be really hard to remove and left an oily rainbow effect because it dried so slowly.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes The Guz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast