autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cannot get rid of swirls, or am i creating them?

Hello gang!

I have been reading trough this forum for a few weeks now, learned ALOT of very interesting things. Mike's articles, as well as member imput is awesome!!

I own a 2015 XC60 with Black Sapphire Metallic paint, when i got it used about a month ago. The dealer did a sh*t detailing job, after the first wash there was plenty of ho;ograms on the paint in direct sunlight. I wanted to correct them before doing a ceramic coating so my car will be protected for winter.

I am using a Shurehold DA polisher (the small 6" version) that I already had, sonax Perfect finish, and chemical guys 3" orange foam pad , aswell as sonax yellow DA pad. I do have a makita rotary but I prefer keeping it for fiberglass work (being a noob and all)

I was satisfied with my test spot on the hood, the paint is in fair condition, it does have alot of scratches and stone chips marks, but I wanted it to get it shiny and hologram free, at least for my first time. When i got the car in the sun for an evaluation of my job, I was happy until I saw marks (looking like half moon scratches) in the sun, which discouraged me.

I did a IPA wipedown before, to make sure no product was left (max 20% concentration)

Here are some pics of the results with a bright flashlight at an angle so you can get an idea. Dont mind the scracthes.. :/Cannot get rid of swirls, or am i creating them?-tn_inked20210807_092548_li-jpgCannot get rid of swirls, or am i creating them?-tn_inked20210807_092630_li-jpgCannot get rid of swirls, or am i creating them?-tn_20210807_092603-jpgCannot get rid of swirls, or am i creating them?-tn_20210807_092647-jpg

I am getting kind of desperate

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cannot get rid of swirls, or am i creating them?

I can't clearly assess the defects you are talking about in your pictures, but your description of "half moon scratches" sounds like DA haze or marring to me. I think pic #3 shows the defects you're talking about the most clearly, and if so, that could certainly be marring/pigtails from the DA.

If those defects weren't already there before you started and you are instilling them, that tells me your pad, product, or process is too aggressive. It could also be from a contaminated pad... Are you sure your pad is absolutely clean?

I'm not familiar with the pads, product, or process you're using so any one of them, or any combination thereof, may be contributing to the issue. OTOH, maybe those scratches have always been there but you did not notice them before, and now you haven't polished enough to remove them.

I'd go over a small section again to see if you are making them worse, or improving/eliminating them. The results should help you determine if the scratches were there before you started or if you are instilling them. Once you know that, then you can decide on your course forward.

3. Thanks nathan007 thanked for this post
    Likes nathan007 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about that, my cellphone camera is not the best :/

I did try with a softer pad I had, and managed to get some bad reflections better, but the more noticeable "swirls" were still there. I was running out of time allowed for this job so I decided to glaze/wax for now, until I can get better supplies and get better results. Overall I was able to correct many details even with just polishing, but I know it could have been better!!

I'll keep on learning until then

Post Thanks / Like

It could be any number of things. If it's a half-moon pattern, there could be a bit of debris caught in the pad that marred the paint. Without being there in person to assess it, the culprit is hard to determine. As stated above, try another test spot after thoroughly inspecing your pads and product and see if the problem returns or goes away.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

6. Thanks nathan007 thanked for this post
    Likes nathan007 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Visually there was no debris in the pad, I also took the time to brush it after every section, and touroughly clean it with soap and water after each 2 pannels.

For sure I will be going back to the drawing board and resupply when the time is right. For now I am okay with the job I did, far from perfect, but still way better than it was.

Cellphone pic with bad lighting (cloudy morning) but it gives an idea.

Cannot get rid of swirls, or am i creating them?-tn_20210808_083521-jpg
    Cannot get rid of swirls, or am i creating them?-tn_20210808_083531-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

myself- doubt that I would ever do a test spot on the hood
    3" polishing pad is to small to do the whole hood and is most likely a big part of your issue
    You need to have a half dozen FULL sized pads to do a whole car and one for the hood alone- not one 3"er continually cleaning it and with water no less
    Hope this is helpful