autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Afternoon Mike!

Where would you rank Pinnacle paintwork cleanse among Meguiar's chemicals cleaner in cleaning ability; since its a chemical cleaner? (A12, Color X and M6).

Another question popped in my head - 3 in 1 better than M66 (both have abrasives) and how do they compare used by hand?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Forget to mention "P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser." So how does P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser, 3 in 1 and M66 compare applied by hand?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to establish least to aggressive product ladder:

1. Consumer A12
    2. M6
    3. Color X
    4. M66
    5. Consumer 3 in 1

Where would P21S and Pinnacle Cleanser fall in the above list and is the order correct?

Mike Phillips

First...

Paint cleaners only clean the surface of paint. They do not remove defects and they do not leave any protection behind.

A cleaner/wax or AIO will do EVERYTHING a paint cleaner will do AND can remove defects and also leave protection behind.

I've never used paint cleaners in my entire life and I explain why here,

A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Questions

What are you working on?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for article. After reading, its the AIO that I'm looking for to remove all on paint a cleaner wax would plus light swirls, love marks and minor defects on paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Carwax50 View Post

Thank you for article. After reading, its the AIO that I'm looking for to remove all on paint a cleaner wax would plus light swirls, love marks and minor defects on paint.

Trying to establish least to aggressive product ladder:

1. Consumer A12
    2. M6
    3. Color X
    4. M66
    5. Consumer 3 in 1

I would have to do some research, probably contact Mike Pennington at Meguiar's to get the official answer to putting your above list in order of least to most aggressive, but I think you're probably close or correct.

I have not tired the new 3-in-1 from Meguiar's but my guess is this would be a good choice for doing light paint correction and sealing the paint at the same time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The reasoning for "by hand" is I had a mild stroke a year back and dexterity/grip strength in my left arm is just not there to hold a polisher. I will not give up my desire/passion to detail my own car. Reading the links in the articles I'm tracking with you now. My paint is in fairly good condition but has those light swirls marks from contact wash and towel drying; mostly on horizontal surfaces. ... I want those swirls to go away. I have the lake county beveled edge 3.5" pack that has the white polishing pad and the red wax/sealant applicator pad I use with a polishing pal. Something like pinnacle jeweling wax and the white pad would work or M66 with the white polishing pad? Recommendations too?

Mike Phillips

The reasoning for "by hand" is I had a mild stroke a year back and dexterity/grip strength in my left arm is just not there to hold a polisher. I will not give up my desire/passion to detail my own car.
    Copy that. It's inspiring to see you keep on keeping on...

Reading the links in the articles I'm tracking with you now. My paint is in fairly good condition but has those light swirls marks from contact wash and towel drying; mostly on horizontal surfaces. ... I want those swirls to go away. I have the lake county beveled edge 3.5" pack that has the white polishing pad and the red wax/sealant applicator pad I use with a polishing pal.

Copy that. So you have these,

Lake Country Beveled Edge 3.5 Inch Pad Pack

And this,

Pinnacle Polishin' Pal

Something like pinnacle jeweling wax and the white pad would work or M66 with the white polishing pad?

Recommendations too?

It's really difficult in most situations to remove swirls out of clearcoats by hand. BUT - it can be done.

If it were me? I would use the Polishn' Pal with the white foam pad and the Pinnacle Jeweling Wax. Work an area about 16" by 16", which is the size of your average microfiber towel.

Try spreading the product out over the area using an overlapping circular motion as it's easier to spread a product out this way than using straight-line motions. Then work the product for about 30 seconds to 45 seconds using light pressure and back-n-forth straight lines. Leave the product to dry and start a new section.

When you start a new section, overlap into the previous section an inch or two. Let this dry. Knock out one half of the hood and then wipe everything off. This product will wipe-off easiest if it's fully dry AND as it dries, the wax will tend to stick better and thus camouflage any minor defects better than if you wipe off while it's still wet.

I'd go out and test the above on the trunk lid or the one half of the hood and the report back here with your results. If you're getting good result continue. If not, let me know what you see and I'll try to help further.

Mike Phillips

Where do you live?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast