autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Question About Polishing By Hand

I know it is highly recommended to polish by machine but I'm still new to this and haven't purchased a machine polisher yet.
    I would like to remove the old sealant - (probably six or seven months old) and at the same time try and remove some swirls and minor scratches from the paint on our Jeep.
    What polish would you recommend for this and what kind of pad for just hand polishing?
    When you hand polish do you use a straight line or circular motion and lastly is a wipe down recommended after polishing and before applying a sealant and if so what product would you use?
    Sorry for all these questions. I rely on your expertise to help newbies like me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie Question About Polishing By Hand

Seriously don’t even bother trying to hand polish, it’ll never be anywhere near as good as a random orbital polisher which is about $100-$150, go to dinner a few less times and you’ll have one and you’ll appreciate it. As one of my mentor detailers always said to me “the hand cannot move at hundreds of RPM like a polisher can”, your results will be far more uniform, far more gloss and last longer than a hand polish.

But if you must, Meguires 205 is a great polish….
    Glen -

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What glen said. If you must though, I've had good results with P21s Paintwork Cleanser for this type of job.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use Blackfire One Step....it cleans...polishes....protects....and it can be applied by hand...

6. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bode04 View Post

I know it is highly recommended to polish by machine but I'm still new to this and haven't purchased a machine polisher yet.

Completely understand. There was a time ALL of us worked by hand.

I would like to remove the old sealant - (probably six or seven months old) and at the same time try and remove some swirls and minor scratches from the paint on our Jeep.
    Jeeps are tough to buff. Most of the time if someone asks me if I will detail their Jeep, (machine paint correction), I'll turn it down. Simply a whole of work due to all the various body panels. For this same reason, they are also somewhat easy to hand polish.

What polish would you recommend for this and what kind of pad for just hand polishing?
    Here's the deal, there's a number of ways to skin this cat.

1. Use a paint cleaner followed by some type of LSP.
    2. Use a dedicated polish followed by some type of LSP.
    3. Use a great AIO and clean, polish and seal the paint in one step.

If it were me? I'd opt for option 3 and use either BLACKFIRE One Step or 3D Speed. Both have the ability to remove swirls and scratches. Both will clean and polish the paint to restore a clear, high shine finish and both will leave the paint protected.

As for an applicator? These would work well, just keep them clean.

Mothers Ultra-Soft Microfiber Applicator Pads

When you hand polish do you use a straight line or circular motion
    Here's something I say, so "yes" you can quote me on this,

If the product you're using is non-abrasive, that is - it's not putting scratches into the paint, then the direction you move your hand doesn't matter.

IF the product you're using IS putting scratches into the paint, you don't use a specific direction to move your hand - you stop using the product. -Mike Phillips

When I work by hand, I use an overlapping circular motion to spread my product out over the area I'm going to work and then I massage the product over the surface and then either continue using an overlapping circular motion or rub in straight lines in the direction of the length of the panel.

and lastly is a wipe down recommended after polishing and before applying a sealant and if so what product would you use?
    No. I'm assuming, (and I hate to assume), but when you say, "is a wipe-down recommended" - you mean, after polishing, wiping the paint with IPA or some other solvent/panel wipe? That is to remove any residue from the first step process before moving onto the second step process.

The answer is "no". Not as long as you're using conventional waxes and/or sealants. If you were to want to use some form of a ceramic, graphene, quarts or ? coating - then follow the manufacturer's directions and the answer is probably "yes".

Sorry for all these questions. I rely on your expertise to help newbies like me.

Completely understand your situation.

8. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Also....

If I were to purchase a polisher to machine polish a Jeep?

I'd get either a simple Porter Cable 7424XP or the Griot's G9

I'd also get a 5" backing plate so I could turn and churn 5.5" foam pads.

Watch the video here, it will show and teach you EVERYTHING you need and want to do from start to finish.

Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

Mike Phillips

More....

Here's a fresh video Yancy and I made where we go over techniques for working by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed while you were imitating "The Rock" your knuckles were turning white and your face was turning red. Since you only have me by a couple of years, I remember those days well...... And SOOOooooo Long to them....