autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryobi One 18 Volt 10" Buffer

Hey Mike,

I need to buff out a few scratches and scrapes on my gel coat boat. Will this buffer cut enough before I finish with my Griots? I plan to wet sand a bit first as well. I haven't bought this yet. Maybe with the correct pads the Griots will be enough to cut?

Thanks!

Deano

Mike Phillips

Re: Ryobi One 18 Volt 10" Buffer

Quote Originally Posted by Deano_1 View Post

Hey Mike,

I need to buff out a few scratches and scrapes on my gel coat boat. Will this buffer cut enough before I finish with my Griots?

Does it look like this?

If so - the answer is "no". Too wimpy. Especially if you're going to wetsand first.

You need a rotary to pull out your sanding marks and then any type or brand of orbital to remove the holograms the rotary leaves behind.

Mike Phillips

More...

Here's an article I wrote years ago that explains this type of polisher.

TOB = Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Does it look like this?

If so - the answer is "no". Too wimpy. Especially if you're going to wetsand first.

You need a rotary to pull out your sanding marks and then any type or brand of orbital to remove the holograms the rotary leaves behind.

Thanks Mike. That is what I suspected. I will read your article you have shown below.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Deano_1 View Post

Thanks Mike. That is what I suspected.

For bringing the live back to any type of boat that has substantial defects like dock rash, scuffs, scratches, water spots and oxidation - you're going to want and need a more powerful set of tools.

My choices would be,

FLEX Cordless PE14 Rotary Polisher

FLEX BEAST or Supa BEAST

I LOVE the cordless FLEX Rotary Polisher. For the most part, it's all I ever use when I need a rotary. It has ALL the power you need plus no messing around with a cord. In both my car and boat detailing classes, anytime the class is going to do rotary work, the Cordless FLEX polishers are the FIRST polishers to get snapped-up by the students. The the corded FLEX PE14 rotary polishers and then the RUPES rotary polishers, (I only have 2 RUPES rotary polishers), and LAST and least - the DeWALT rotary buffers. I also use to showcase the Makita and 3M rotary polishers but like the DeWALT rotary buffers, these are all full size tool, for most people they are heavy to use for hours. They are also noisy and get real hot.

If you've been looking for an excuse to spend $600.00 - this is it. And one thing for sure - I NEVER see these for sale used.

FLEX PE-150 Cordless Rotary Polisher - $600.00

The other tools I would get would be the Supa BEAST. The original BEAST aka the XC 3401 VRG is being discontinued. The replacement is the Supa BEAST. It's lighter, quieter, smoother and cooler than the original. You can machine sand gelcoat boats using Mirka Abralon, (this is what I show in my classes as I bring in HORRIBLY oxidized boats), and you can also use it for all aspects of car detailing.

The Supa BEAST is another tool I never see for sale used.

FLEX Supa BEAST - the part number is FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher - $436.00

There are a lot of other less expensive options that will get the job done and I let everyone be the master of their own budget. I'm just stating the above tools are quality tools that no on ever regrets buying, (buyers remorse), and if you did want to sell them - there's always a strong market.