autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mike Phillips

Re: 2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post

The Comet wash was intriguing to me. Do you think Comet washing headlights are a good idea if you are planning to restore them?

I suppose the sanding step kind of nullifies this possibly..?

Washing oxidized headlights with Comet will chew or abrade "some" of the dead, oxidized plastic off but you're correct - if you're already planning on sanding them then washing first with Comet would be redundant.

2. Likes Azure liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Mike: I noticed you said Comet is a secret weapon you use on single stage paint.

Do you use it only on white or would you use it on other colors as well. I'm sure the abrasion would be pretty frightening to see on a darker color...even if you know it will be polished out.

Good questions. "Yes" I have used it on colored cars but ALL were SINGLE STAGE. It's important that everyone understands this.

Here's my article on this topic.

The COMET Technique by Mike Phillips - 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

Yancy and I show the technique in this video,

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Also noticed you coated the vehicle after using One Step. Won't the sealants in the One Step cause issues with the coating you applied afterwards?

That is the conventional wisdom and consensus. I never tell anyone else to do this, but it works for me. Here's my article on this topic,

BLACKFIRE One Step Topped with PBL Surface Coating - 2019 Chevy Impala

Mike Phillips

More...

I "think" I'm the first guy to ever teach and document the Comet Technique in a formal detailing class?

This last September, we had a RECORD BREAKING class for all kinds of new records. One of the records we broke was how many cars detailed over 3 days. For the September class,

17 cars detailed in 3 days!

Another record we broke was this class was able to detail 3 cars with single stage paint and 2 of the cars had the ORIGINAL paint. The students dug it.

Here's a dedicated article from that class besides the pictures and comments write-up.

1968 Cadillac Original Paint Detailing Class - September 2020

Here's the class using COMET during the Prep Wash.

Find any other class that is photo-documented showing this technique? Bueller?

Final results...

Here's a couple of BEFORE pictures...

For everyone that will read this into the future, (I always type for the future, not the moment), PLEASE read the entire write-up before using the Comet Technique. There's a lot more involved and this class was under my direction and supervision the entire time. I point this out because I've been there and done this a number of times with single stage paint. It's not for the faint of heart.

1968 Cadillac Original Paint Detailing Class - September 2020

5. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234