autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step

2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step

My friend Joe contacted me about bringing the shine back to his 2006 Toyota Sequoia. After looking at the original single stage white paint I determined that a solid Comet Wash followed by an AGGRESSIVE machine correction using BLACKFIRE One Step would do the job.

Apologies ahead of time I didn't take a lot of before shots or process shots, this was all about grunt work.

Process

In this order,

1. Machine scrub tires
    2. Clean wheels
    3. Machine polish glass before washing
    4. Comet Wash
    5. Dry car

After car was washed and dried,

1. Treat faded plastic trim
    2. Dress tires
    3. Machine sand headlights - buff and ceramic coat - Marine 31 Vessel Coat

Paint Correction

Step 1: Machine polish paint using BLACKFIRE One Step, RUPES 180mm Yellow Foam CP Pads and FLEX Supa BEAST on speed 6 PUSHING HARD for 8 to 10 section passes over each square millimeter of paint.

Step 2: Topped with PBL Surface Coating

Here's a few before pictures,

NOTE: The Comet Technique is ONLY for single stage paint. Do not use this technique on clearcoated cars.

Sorry, no action shots of the washing or any of the other steps I did.

Here's the hood before

Note at this point all of the rest of the Sequoia is done including machine polishing tail lights, re-polishing all glass with the BLACKFIRE One Step.

BEFORE

Here I used an Autogeek Cover-up Towel to cover and protect the dull, oxidized paint from any BLACKFIRE splatter.

Here's half and half...

REMEMBER - This is SINGLE STAGE PAINT - But look at the clarity, gloss and richness of color?

And here's how the paint looked before BLACKFIRE One Step...

Headlight Restoration

I machine sanded the headlights using Mirka Abralon #2000, #3000 and #4000 sanding discs then used Pinnacle Advanced Compound with RUPES wool pad on the FLEX Cordless Rotary Polisher to remove the sanding marks and restore optical clarity. After using the wool pad on the rotary I also used a foam pad on the FLEX Supa BEAST with the same compound to remove any holograms. The headlights were then chemical stripped, (in other words I used a Panel Wipe), and I applied the Marine 31 Vessel Ceramic Coating.

Here's the final results...

Exterior Plastic Polishing

All clear exterior plastic was machine polished using the BLACKFIRE One Step.

Topical Glass Polishing

All exterior glass was machine polished using Diamondite Glass Polish with a RUPES 180mm Coarse Wool Polishing Pad and the FLEX Cordless PE14 before washing. Later the glass was re-polished using BLACKFIRE One Step with a foam pad on the FLEX Supa BEAST.

Look how perfect the glass looks?

Not bad for a daily driver that is 15 years old and the last time it was detailed was 7-8 years ago...

Here's most of what I used...

2. Thanks ollever thanked for this post
    Likes ollever, Thomkirby, T-STeve liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: 2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step

More...

And if you want to get any of this stuff for your own car detailing projects...

BLACKFIRE One Step 32 oz. - $40.00 - Best deal without going to the gallon size.

FLEX Supa BEAST - the part number is FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher - $436.00

The above Supa BEAST comes with a 5" backing plate. I switched mine over to the optional 6" backing plate so I can take full advantage of all the power this tool offers.

FLEX Multi-Polisher 6 inch Backing Plate - $25.00

FLEX PE-150 Cordless Rotary Polisher - $600.00

Here's really nice backing plate for 7" and 8" pads

Flex-Foam HD Rotary Backing Plate, 6 inches - $22.00

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer 12 oz. - $40.00

Solution Finish Over the Top Plastic Sealer - (Autogeek does not carry this product at this time, it's a SEALER for the Solution Finish)

Pinnacle Advanced Compound 16 oz. - $50.00

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating - $130.00 - Spendy but really nice product

RUPES DA Yellow Fine Foam Pad - 7 Inch (180mm) - $12.00 each

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad (180mm) - $23.00 each

Diamondite Glass Polish - $14.00

RUPES iBrid Nano Long Neck Starter Kit $441.00

RUPES NANO Horsehair Cup Brush - $12.00

Other misc tools and products I used...

Autogeek Detailing Cover-Up Towel

For machine scrubbing the tires

Rotary 4 ¾ inch Flexible Backing Plate - $17.00

Heavy-Duty DA Carpet Brush – Long Bristles - $18.00

TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner 24 oz. - $13.00

For cleaning wheels

SONAX Wheel Cleaner PLUS - $24.00

Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Wheel Brush - $37.00

Lots of these towels for the BLACKFIRE One Step

The Rag Company FTW Premium Orange Microfiber Towel - $6.00 each

And these towels for the PBL Surface Coating

Cobra 12 Pack Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths $20.00 for a dozen

For washing,

BLACKFIRE Foam Soap 32 oz. - $25.00

Cobra Supreme Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt - $10.00

4. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

More...

For machine sanding the headlights, I used everything I showcase here,

Review: Griot's Garage G8 Headlight Sander

6. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like seeing your daily driver work! Always good examples of what potential there is in vehicles that get used. As always nice work and very informative Mike!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Skier404 View Post

I like seeing your daily driver work! Always good examples of what potential there is in vehicles that get used.

As always nice work and very informative Mike!

Thank you.

The owner Joe, whom I've sent the link to this write-up, says his girlfriend didn't think the paint could be saved. Thought a better option would be to repaint the SUV. Joe came by today to pick up some maintenance supplies as he's driving the Sequoia back to New York tomorrow.

He told me his girlfriend was shocked and impressed at how nice the paint came back. Same comment from his son.

He picked up a bottle of the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating to maintain the paint and the glass. Also the new Diamondite Insect Armor to apply to the front of the Sequoia for the trip back to New York. Also some SONAX Wheel Cleaner to make keeping the wheels clean.

Also just to comment - Joe told me while driving around in the rain yesterday, he could easily see the water flying off the hood and the windshield due to the PBL Surface Coating. I shared with him my approach to maintaining water-proof glass and that is SIMPLY to mist a little on once in a while to maintain the hydrophobic surface.

Quick, fast and easy.

A MUCH better approach than trying to seal a windshield with any type of one-and-done or set-it-and-forget-it type product.

It's real simple to figure out - if a RUBBER blade is rubbing over the glass it's going to MICRO-ABRADE anything off the glass.

And - it's always about finding product you like and then using them often.

9. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Mike. I know from reading other posts that your not a real fan of white, but you really turned this around.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering , are these your favorite go to products at the moment ?

Post Thanks / Like

He will be floored when he sees it!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

That is really an incredible transformation. The hood shots show such a difference. That must have taken some serious hours to do. Great job!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post

Nice job Mike.
    Thank you.

To get the results you see from a foam "polishing" pad and a one-step cleaner/wax in ONE pass around the SUV - the technique was to PUSH EXTREMELY HARD for every section pass. This type of buffing is only possible when all the right conditions are present.

1: Great abrasive technology. Polishing paint successfully always STARTS with what is touching the paint - not the pad, the person or the tool.

2: The right paint. I've done this with both single stage and basecoat/clearcoat paint system but the paint has to be "polish-able". That is, not too hard, not too soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post

I know from reading other posts that your not a real fan of white, but you really turned this around.

Greg

Usually when I read a comment like the above it is in the context of one of the oldest articles I've written dating back to 1997.

The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

And what I wrote in that article is in the context of colorful paints, white is boring. And I still feel the same way. I don't dislike paint and in fact I own a white car but compared to other colors it is a tick on the boring side. The exception would be Pearl White, Special Effects White and Tri-color Pearl White paint job.

But yeah... using Comet to knock down some of the dead, oxidized paint as well as bonded contaminants, then using great abrasive technology with a powerful tool and a really nice foam polishing pad and the key element - pushing the tool hard throughout the entire paint correction process - the paint came back looking as good and probably better than new.

15. Thanks Me Time thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast